Old May 7th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default where to buy some chassis?

The aluminium that retail chassis are made from is a joke. Get some
1.6mm 5052-H14 from a local aluminium shop, a $30 brake and away you go.
You can make 5-7 for the cost of one retail ;-)

A factor of 5:1 in price?

My local sources charge about $5 per sq ft for 0.040" 5052-H14
aluminum.

A 17x10x3 chassis needs about 3 square feet.

That's $15 for materials, not counting wastage because the local
source only sells it in 4x8 feet sheets :-). I compare that to $25 for
a Hammond chassis of the same size already made and spot welded, and I
don't see as big (5:1 or 7:1) of a disparity in prices as you do.

Now, I can get little (square foot or two) aluminum cutoffs at some
scrap piles for a lot cheaper, and those work great for tiny little
subchassis or miniboxes, even better to do it myself there because
dimensions are often critical.

Maybe I'm buying really super expensive aluminum and you know where to
get it for $1 or so a square foot. If so, tell me where!

==========================
Over the years I bought some large size sheets double sided PCB material
at flea markets.
Provided there are no heavy transformers ,both chassis and enclosure can
be made of the material.
Under chassis screened compartments can be easily included.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old May 7th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ross, NS7F wrote:

I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where
other people get their chassis? Article 1 (The Novice Special, from
the arrl website) calls for LMB SQ-1 cabinet (8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 in)
which "comes complete with chassis and front panel".
Article 2 (A Three-Band One-Tube Novice Transmitter, from Dec '57 QST)
calls for a 2 x 7 x 13 in aluminum chassis enclosed in a 7 x 9 x 15 in
aluminum box.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and 73,
Ross, NS7F

How about a sheet metal shop? I used to get mind made
for the price of a case of beer.

Irv VE6BP
Old May 7th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On May 6, 4:36?pm, "Ross, NS7F" wrote:
I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where
other people get their chassis? Article 1 (The Novice Special, from
the arrl website) calls for LMB SQ-1 cabinet (8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 in)
which "comes complete with chassis and front panel".
Article 2 (A Three-Band One-Tube Novice Transmitter, from Dec '57 QST)
calls for a 2 x 7 x 13 in aluminum chassis enclosed in a 7 x 9 x 15 in
aluminum box.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and 73,
Ross, NS7F

If you've been around electronics a while, you might remember the
"SeeZak" line of modular chassis sides and tops. LMB-Heeger
carries that same thing now: www.lmbheeger.com

Click on "OmniChassis" on their Products link page.

Chassis sides (sold in pairs) come in 2", 3", or 4" height with
lengths from [height] to 17" in increments of one inch. The
material is aluminum, 0.040" think. Chassis tops and bottoms
come in all dimensions from 4" x 4" to 17" x 17". Top/bottoms
are fastened to side pieces with small sheet metal screws
(holes provided) at one-inch increments. Side piece ends
snap together, final fastening by the screws through top/bottom
panels to the bent-over edges of side pieces.

Top/bottom panels thicknesses are 0.040", 0.050", or 0.063"
depending on their overall dimensions (13" x 13" and bigger
are 0.063" thick). One can use the smaller-length side pieces
to form in-chassis walls for shielding or extra mechanical
support. An advantage in hole drilling of tops/bottoms is that
panels can be mounted on scrap plywood for support (such
as in drill press) or punched via industrial punch presses
(hard to find those presses now).

Not cheap but they don't cost an arm and a leg either.
Another advantage is that making a mistake on hole
locations isn't a scrap-out of a whole chassis or klugey
retrofit...just use another panel or side piece. While the
aluminum alloy is "softer" than 2024, an assembly is as
robust mechanically as any fully-formed chassis bought as
a unit. I find them very useful in making near-production
quality prototypes since they turn out as neat as any
full-chassis version.

73, Len AF6AY

Old May 8th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On May 6, 7:36 pm, "Ross, NS7F" wrote:
I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where
other people get their chassis? Article 1 (The Novice Special, from
the arrl website) calls for LMB SQ-1 cabinet (8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 in)
which "comes complete with chassis and front panel".
Article 2 (A Three-Band One-Tube Novice Transmitter, from Dec '57 QST)
calls for a 2 x 7 x 13 in aluminum chassis enclosed in a 7 x 9 x 15 in
aluminum box.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and 73,
Ross, NS7F

Yes, buy or build a small sheet metal brake, or use one at a air
conditioning place or airport.

Old May 8th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hi Tim,

My local sources charge about $5 per sq ft for 0.040" 5052-H14
aluminum.

A 17x10x3 chassis needs about 3 square feet.

Bobs around between $2.75 and $3.15 CAD where I live in a trucking/farming
community. No shortage of full-sheet capable aluminium shops. Got 5 within
a 20 minute drive.

That's $15 for materials, not counting wastage because the local
source only sells it in 4x8 feet sheets :-). I compare that to $25 for
a Hammond chassis of the same size already made and spot welded, and I
don't see as big (5:1 or 7:1) of a disparity in prices as you do.

$25 for a 17x10x3 Hammond? You must be in the US. They are $45 here.

So, from my POV, buying retail chassis is just silly.

Cheers,

Gregg
Old May 8th 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

geek wrote:
Hi Tim,

My local sources charge about $5 per sq ft for 0.040" 5052-H14
aluminum.

A 17x10x3 chassis needs about 3 square feet.

Bobs around between $2.75 and $3.15 CAD where I live in a trucking/farming
community. No shortage of full-sheet capable aluminium shops. Got 5 within
a 20 minute drive.

Ahah! The great land of ALCAN.

$25 for a 17x10x3 Hammond? You must be in the US. They are $45 here.

Strange thing is, Hammond is a Canadian company! I lived in Canada for
two years myself and could not explain the economics either.

Tim.

Old May 8th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Try CHARLES BYERS

He makes chassis of all sizes.
73's Howard W3CQH
===========
"RapidRonnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 6, 7:36 pm, "Ross, NS7F" wrote:
I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where other
people get their chassis?

SNIP

Old May 8th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On May 6, 5:36 pm, "Ross, NS7F" wrote:
I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where
other people get their chassis? Article 1 (The Novice Special, from
the arrl website) calls for LMB SQ-1 cabinet (8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 in)
which "comes complete with chassis and front panel".
Article 2 (A Three-Band One-Tube Novice Transmitter, from Dec '57 QST)
calls for a 2 x 7 x 13 in aluminum chassis enclosed in a 7 x 9 x 15 in
aluminum box.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and 73,
Ross, NS7F

Well, Ross.
The dates of the articles are about the time I got my novice license.
Back then we could go to a sheet metal shop and tell them the size of
the chassis ( box to them!) and they would cut it and fold it and spot
weld it. This was using galvanized sheet steel. I supposed aluminum
sheet was available, but cost more. I am sure you could go to a
similar sheet metal shop or heating/cooling shop and have them make a
box for you.

Another possibility is to watch Ebay for something that will work for
you. Although that might take a while.

Good luck.
Paul, KD7HB

Old May 9th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hi Tim,

Strange thing is, Hammond is a Canadian company! I lived in Canada for
two years myself and could not explain the economics either.

Tim.

Our economics are like our politics - inexplicably stupid *rolls eyes*

It's cheaper for me to buy and import Hammond from Parts Express than it
is to buy from a dealer an hour away. Dumbfounds me too.

What IS a super deal are Chinese made rack mount cabs w/panel from RP
Electronics in Burnaby, BC.... thicker aluminium than the Hammond and $57
compared to ~$180 for the Hammond. I kicked one around (literally),
quality is comparable.

Cheers!

Gregg

where to buy some chassis? Ross, NS7F Boatanchors 0 May 7th 07 01:36 AM
DX-440 Chassis Available Jose Sifontes Shortwave 0 June 20th 06 05:30 AM
Hot Chassis geojunkie Boatanchors 5 February 15th 04 08:25 PM
Help, I have a hot chassis, 12 v is everywhere tomagain CB 3 October 10th 03 07:41 AM
Isolating a "hot" chassis gil Boatanchors 4 July 22nd 03 02:39 PM