Old May 7th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default where to buy some chassis?

Ross, NS7F wrote:
I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where
other people get their chassis? Article 1 (The Novice Special, from
the arrl website) calls for LMB SQ-1 cabinet (8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 in)
which "comes complete with chassis and front panel".
Article 2 (A Three-Band One-Tube Novice Transmitter, from Dec '57 QST)
calls for a 2 x 7 x 13 in aluminum chassis enclosed in a 7 x 9 x 15 in
aluminum box.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and 73,
Ross, NS7F

Mouser has a respectable line of aluminum and steel chassis in their
catalog. The selection, today, is not what it was back in the 50's or
60's, but you can find what will work. Prices are a lot higher, too,
especially for cabinet-type metalwork! I just pulled the '57 issue you
spoke of. No problem with the chassis but the cabinet no longer exists
from Bud, et al, much less Hammond. There is a fellow who ads in several
pubs that makes aluminum chassis and cabinets. He's resonable and I'm
sure he can gin up what you need. He's located in the Mid-Atlantic area
and I saw him, last weekend, at a local hamfest.
de K3HVG

Old May 7th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

oups.com...

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com

Old May 7th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ross, NS7F wrote:
I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where
other people get their chassis? Article 1 (The Novice Special, from
the arrl website) calls for LMB SQ-1 cabinet (8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 in)
which "comes complete with chassis and front panel".
Article 2 (A Three-Band One-Tube Novice Transmitter, from Dec '57 QST)
calls for a 2 x 7 x 13 in aluminum chassis enclosed in a 7 x 9 x 15 in
aluminum box.
Any suggestions?

Aluminum chassis are available ($10-$30 range depending on size) from
www.digikey.com, www.mouser.com, www.tubesandmore.com, etc.

Kitchen pans/baking trays can be surprisingly effective as well for a
lot less money.

A good hardware/welding store will have aluminum sheet and extrusions.
Home Depot etc. really suck in this area.

As far as full metal cabinets go, the above-named distributors will
have them by Hammond, Bud, etc., but you'll be shocked at the prices.
Recycled enclosures from other projects or picked up at hamfests are
quite affordable though.

McMaster-Carr has a lot of stuff, not discount prices, but excellent
selection and they ship to me overnight via UPS ground. They also have
a lot of plastics, tubes, etc. http://www.mcmaster-carr.com/

Tim KA0BTD

Old May 7th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Tim Shoppa wrote:

snip
Aluminum chassis are available ($10-$30 range depending on size) from
www.digikey.com, www.mouser.com, www.tubesandmore.com, etc.

Kitchen pans/baking trays can be surprisingly effective as well for a
lot less money.

A good hardware/welding store will have aluminum sheet and extrusions.
Home Depot etc. really suck in this area.

Also, consider having enclosures made at a local sheet metal shop
(heating, cooling, ventilating); I've had them done for _very_
little money out of galvanized, and you can solder to them.

Regards,

Michael

Old May 7th 07, 08:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hello,

The aluminium that retail chassis are made from is a joke. Get some
1.6mm 5052-H14 from a local aluminium shop, a $30 brake and away you go.
You can make 5-7 for the cost of one retail ;-)

Cheers,
__
Gregg
Old May 7th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ross,

Commercial outlets like Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark-Inone,
and Allied Electronics carry a wide array of aluminum
and steel enclosures. They're not cheap these days, but
if you need one, you need one. Also keep an eye on eBay
for chassis and enclosures. I've snagged some good ones
there at very reasonable prices. And, of course, visit
every local hamfest and SK estate sale. There are still
bargains to be had that way. I picked up a nice cabinet
at an estate sale just the other day which I intend to
build a power supply in. It is about 6" tall, 8" deep,
and 12" wide, and it's new in the original box. The was
only $6.00! I buy cabinets and chassis whenever and
wherever I find them, and then worry about what I can
use them for.

The projects you're contemplating sound like something
I'd build! (see my web site, http://www.qsl.net/k5dh )

73 and good luck!
Dean K5DH

In article .com,
says...

Old May 7th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On May 7, 3:45 am, geek wrote:
Hello,

The aluminium that retail chassis are made from is a joke. Get some
1.6mm 5052-H14 from a local aluminium shop, a $30 brake and away you go.
You can make 5-7 for the cost of one retail ;-)

A factor of 5:1 in price?

My local sources charge about $5 per sq ft for 0.040" 5052-H14
aluminum.

A 17x10x3 chassis needs about 3 square feet.

That's $15 for materials, not counting wastage because the local
source only sells it in 4x8 feet sheets :-). I compare that to $25 for
a Hammond chassis of the same size already made and spot welded, and I
don't see as big (5:1 or 7:1) of a disparity in prices as you do.

Now, I can get little (square foot or two) aluminum cutoffs at some
scrap piles for a lot cheaper, and those work great for tiny little
subchassis or miniboxes, even better to do it myself there because
dimensions are often critical.

Maybe I'm buying really super expensive aluminum and you know where to
get it for $1 or so a square foot. If so, tell me where!

Tim.

Old May 7th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ross, NS7F wrote:
I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where
other people get their chassis? Article 1 (The Novice Special, from
the arrl website) calls for LMB SQ-1 cabinet (8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 in)
which "comes complete with chassis and front panel".
Article 2 (A Three-Band One-Tube Novice Transmitter, from Dec '57 QST)
calls for a 2 x 7 x 13 in aluminum chassis enclosed in a 7 x 9 x 15 in
aluminum box.
Any suggestions?

Antique Electronics Supply, Allied Electronics, and Newark Electronics
all carry either the Hammond, Bud, or LMB chassis.
--scott
Old May 7th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ross, NS7F wrote:
I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where
other people get their chassis?

That "Novice Special" is a good article. Reminds me of my first
transmitter, a 6C4 driving a 2E26. Got me a special, commemorative QSL
from the FCC. Apparently, I was 599 on 7446!

You are in luck! LMB is still around and still makes that very cabinet:
http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=18

I also like Mouser. Order something from them and you'll get catalogs
for a long time. Lots of parts..
http://www.mouser.com/

Also, MPJA has interesting items from time to time.
http://www.mpja.com/

73, OM.
--
Doug, W7KF

where to buy some chassis? Ross, NS7F Boatanchors 0 May 7th 07 01:36 AM
DX-440 Chassis Available Jose Sifontes Shortwave 0 June 20th 06 05:30 AM
Hot Chassis geojunkie Boatanchors 5 February 15th 04 08:25 PM
Help, I have a hot chassis, 12 v is everywhere tomagain CB 3 October 10th 03 07:41 AM
Isolating a "hot" chassis gil Boatanchors 4 July 22nd 03 02:39 PM