Old July 29th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default microwave oven power supply

"Jimmie D" wrote in message
Uncle Peter has spoken so i guess i shouldjust give up on the idea.

Jimmie

Why don't you try one and let us know? It might just need additional
filtering
if they are using some sort of pulse width control of the klystron duty
cycle.
I was just expressing an opinion. My kitchen microwave is a Panasonic
inverter type.

Pete

Old July 30th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Jimmie D wrote:

there are appaently 2 types, one is made to run off of 12 volts maybe
24 VDC and the other runs off of 120VAC.
I think the 120VAC initially converts it to 300VDC then aplies it to the
inverter circuit.. Still trying to find a schematic to verify. I would think
this technology could be a major help for amp builders allowing us to build
inexpensive power supplies and easily custom wind the inverter transformers.

Please dig out the ones you have and take photos, front and rear of the
entire unit and if you don't mind, disassemble and photograph and
components. I can host the photos if you wish (email them to me).
This would _really_ help in the evaluation until any of us find schematics.

Regards,

Michael
msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org
Old July 30th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Uncle Peter wrote:

if they are using some sort of pulse width control of the klystron duty
cycle.

Somehow I seem to remember an early commercial 'radio oven' that used
a klystron; can anyone confirm this?

I was just expressing an opinion. My kitchen microwave is a Panasonic
inverter type.

Please post photos of it together with make and model info; if you
feel frisky, photos of the interior and PCBs would also be helpful
together with a photo of the wiring-diagram label that is often
included.

Regards,

Michael
Old July 30th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"msg" wrote in message
Uncle Peter wrote:

Please post photos of it together with make and model info; if you
feel frisky, photos of the interior and PCBs would also be helpful
together with a photo of the wiring-diagram label that is often
included.

Regards,

Michael

When it croaks. My wife likes it in one piece for now. Magnetron,
not klystron... Typo.

Pete

Old July 30th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"msg" wrote in message
Jimmie D wrote:

there are appaently 2 types, one is made to run off of 12 volts maybe 24
VDC and the other runs off of 120VAC.
I think the 120VAC initially converts it to 300VDC then aplies it to the
inverter circuit.. Still trying to find a schematic to verify. I would
think this technology could be a major help for amp builders allowing us
to build inexpensive power supplies and easily custom wind the inverter
transformers.

Please dig out the ones you have and take photos, front and rear of the
entire unit and if you don't mind, disassemble and photograph and
components. I can host the photos if you wish (email them to me).
This would _really_ help in the evaluation until any of us find
schematics.

Regards,

Michael
msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org

Wish i could, i dont even have one of them now. wife said i couldnt tear
them up and donated one to a church and we are using the other. i noticed i
can get the service manual for a few bucks and will probably do that, i was
hoping i could find one for free. Sometimes sevice manuals dont go into that
much detail. though.

Old July 30th 07, 11:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"msg" wrote in message
Uncle Peter wrote:

if they are using some sort of pulse width control of the klystron duty
cycle.

Somehow I seem to remember an early commercial 'radio oven' that used
a klystron; can anyone confirm this?

I was just expressing an opinion. My kitchen microwave is a Panasonic
inverter type.

Please post photos of it together with make and model info; if you
feel frisky, photos of the interior and PCBs would also be helpful
together with a photo of the wiring-diagram label that is often
included.

Regards,

Michael

i thought i did post the model #. dont know what happened. will have to dig
it out again. Wife got a hold of them and gave one to the church and one
became our personal oven so i cant tear it apart. I have long since been
forbidden to do that unless it is really broken.

Jimmie

Old July 30th 07, 11:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"msg" wrote in message
Jimmie D wrote:

there are appaently 2 types, one is made to run off of 12 volts maybe 24
VDC and the other runs off of 120VAC.
I think the 120VAC initially converts it to 300VDC then aplies it to the
inverter circuit.. Still trying to find a schematic to verify. I would
think this technology could be a major help for amp builders allowing us
to build inexpensive power supplies and easily custom wind the inverter
transformers.

Please dig out the ones you have and take photos, front and rear of the
entire unit and if you don't mind, disassemble and photograph and
components. I can host the photos if you wish (email them to me).
This would _really_ help in the evaluation until any of us find
schematics.

Regards,

Michael
msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org

Seems i am going to be looking for a couple more as the wife laid claim on
these.

Old July 30th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"msg" wrote in message
Jimmie D wrote:

[...]

I did find some info saying the switcher was run using IGBTs.

Old July 30th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"msg" wrote in message
Jimmie D wrote:

[...]

Rats, service manual just shows it as a box, but I did find some useful info
here

http://fusor.net/board/view.php?site...y=115878692 1

Knowing the freq they switch at would be a big help

Jimmie

Old August 4th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jimmie D wrote:
"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"Jimmie D" wrote in message
.. .

"msg" wrote in message

Jimmie D wrote:

[...]

I must confess that I'm not familiar with "inverter" type PSU's for
microwaves. However judging by the old type you would literally be
"playing with fire" in using them for a TX PSU.
Based on the "Don't put it in unless it's needed" philosophy it
1. Won't have ANY filtering worth mentioning. In fact the output will
probably be a series of rough square waves giving about +2KV average
voltage.
2. I would be quite sure that an 807 based linear would turn into slag
with 2Kv on the plates, let alone 2KV squarewaves at about 25KHz.

This is based on the fact that microwave ovens use cavity magnetrons.
these need a small heater voltage and a beefy but rough HT supply.
They are just a diode in a powerful transverse magnetic field.
After all your coffee or soup isn't a sensitive soul about signals!

Now if you had a linear needing 2Kv or so (maybe a California
Kilowatt!!!) and a good supply of high voltage caps then you might be
getting somwhere.
You would indeed have the advantage of needing less smoothing because of
the high switching frequency of the inverter but any choke would have to
be suitable for 30 KHz at least with powerful insulation.
But with decent TX tubes not being cheap I still reckon I would prefer
one of the old HV transformers with plenty of fuses.
Best of luck!
73's ZL1BDA ex G3NIA.

Microwave oven transformers AndyS Homebrew 13 July 29th 06 10:53 PM
Use microwave oven chassis for a radio? [email protected] Homebrew 7 September 15th 05 02:37 PM
Microwave oven magnetron Frank Antenna 5 June 14th 05 12:50 AM
Microwave Oven Transformers Specifications. Dan/W4NTI Homebrew 11 April 6th 05 10:47 PM
EM field og GSM and microwave oven in V/m ? Thierry Antenna 3 November 9th 04 04:57 PM