Old July 25th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default microwave oven power supply

I picked up a couple of inverter powered microwave ovens at the goodwill and
I was wondering if these power suppies can be used wih tube amps and such.
Also would like schematic data if I could so I could see if I can modify
them for other voltages besides thosed they are designed.

Jimmie

Old July 25th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Jimmie D wrote:

I picked up a couple of inverter powered microwave ovens at the goodwill and
I was wondering if these power suppies can be used wih tube amps and such.
Also would like schematic data if I could so I could see if I can modify
them for other voltages besides thosed they are designed.

I didn't know such contraptions existed Please post brand name, model
and nameplate information from them to permit a bit of research. Sounds
like a candidate for the quad 807 linear awaiting a power supply...

Regards,

Michael
Old July 25th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"msg" wrote in message
Jimmie D wrote:

I picked up a couple of inverter powered microwave ovens at the goodwill
and I was wondering if these power suppies can be used wih tube amps and
such. Also would like schematic data if I could so I could see if I can
modify them for other voltages besides thosed they are designed.

I didn't know such contraptions existed Please post brand name, model
and nameplate information from them to permit a bit of research. Sounds
like a candidate for the quad 807 linear awaiting a power supply...

Regards,

Michael

Cant get to them right now for more data but one is a Sharp and the other a
Panasonic.

Old July 27th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"msg" wrote in message
Jimmie D wrote:

I picked up a couple of inverter powered microwave ovens at the goodwill
and I was wondering if these power suppies can be used wih tube amps and
such. Also would like schematic data if I could so I could see if I can
modify them for other voltages besides thosed they are designed.

I didn't know such contraptions existed Please post brand name, model
and nameplate information from them to permit a bit of research. Sounds
like a candidate for the quad 807 linear awaiting a power supply...

Regards,

Michael

Cant get to them right now for more data but one is a Sharp and the other
a Panasonic.

i have found that they are regulated and variable to some degree via pwm Old
stle microwaves varied power by varying the duty cycle that the tube was on
over a period of seconds. that is to say if a 705 power was set the tube
would be on full power for 7 seconds out of 10. the inverter style actually
decreases the voltage to the tube. interesting possibilites about for
amplifiers

jimmie

Old July 29th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

This may be a daft question, but is Marketing name for the product
"Inverter" ?

Doing a quick search on eBay, several ovens pop up with this name, one
description was "Panasonic Inverter Microwave Oven 1100W" - looks like
a 110V product to me.

I have never heard of a 12 or 24v microwave oven, 1100W at 24v = 45
amps which seems excessive even as a load for a large truck.

Regards,

Mark

Old July 29th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

7 seconds On and 3 seconds Off for a 1000w oven is an average power of
700w, assuming your chicken will integrate the power (as all good
chickens probably will

-Mark

On Jul 28, 8:15 am, "Jimmie D" wrote:
"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"msg" wrote in message
Jimmie D wrote:

[...]

jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Old July 29th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"MarkAren" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Conventional microwaves control the power by ON/OFF cycling of
the oven. For example, 1/2 power might be 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off.
The inverter technology controls the actual klystron operating voltage
to set the power level, and the food is heated continously. I'd suspect
the variable power feature has horrendous artifacts on the supply
voltage making it completely unsuitable for use by hams.

Old July 29th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"MarkAren" wrote in message
ups.com...
This may be a daft question, but is Marketing name for the product
"Inverter" ?

Doing a quick search on eBay, several ovens pop up with this name, one
description was "Panasonic Inverter Microwave Oven 1100W" - looks like
a 110V product to me.

I have never heard of a 12 or 24v microwave oven, 1100W at 24v = 45
amps which seems excessive even as a load for a large truck.

Regards,

Mark

yes, there are appaently 2 types, one is made to run off of 12 volts maybe
24 VDC and the other runs off of 120VAC.
I think the 120VAC initially converts it to 300VDC then aplies it to the
inverter circuit.. Still trying to find a schematic to verify. I would think
this technology could be a major help for amp builders allowing us to build
inexpensive power supplies and easily custom wind the inverter transformers.

Jimmie

Old July 29th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news

"MarkAren" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Uncle Peter has spoken so i guess i shouldjust give up on the idea.

Jimmie

Old July 29th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news

"MarkAren" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I offered a opinion on Usenet... You can take it for what is worth..

Pete

Microwave oven transformers AndyS Homebrew 13 July 29th 06 10:53 PM
Use microwave oven chassis for a radio? [email protected] Homebrew 7 September 15th 05 02:37 PM
Microwave oven magnetron Frank Antenna 5 June 14th 05 12:50 AM
Microwave Oven Transformers Specifications. Dan/W4NTI Homebrew 11 April 6th 05 10:47 PM
EM field og GSM and microwave oven in V/m ? Thierry Antenna 3 November 9th 04 04:57 PM