Old September 10th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default HF finals from PC monitor boards?

I already found something, thinking a bit sideways: these SS devices
impressed me more on the current- than on the voltage handling side.
I reckoned that scaling to higher powers was mostly done in current,
so I headed for a low power video unit I had: a long deceased bible-
sized 1970's TV + radio combo, with a 2" B/W screen. As suspected, I
found 2-3W low capacitance bipolars that could run into VHF... so
much so I had to bead them to keep them from producing spurs in my
ugly prototype.

On Jul 30, 11:37 pm, Chris Jones wrote:

2SB772 (PNP) and 2SD882 (NPN) (10-Watt 30V, 3A, fT80MHz)

The video amplifiers in a monitor have to be pretty fast for high resolution
signals, and often these are discrete transistors to handle the power. I
got some 2SC2682 devices out of monitors - 180V, 3.2pF, fT=200MHz, 10W - a
few of these could make a useful amount of RF, I reckon.

Hmmmm.... I'll look harder. The pile of monitors is still there
gracing a hidden nook of my place.

W.r.t. the high definition requiring high frequency: KVM switches
often quote their bandwidth, which must match what^s required from a
given definition (if a KVM only quotes that, and not pixels, good luck
finding the equivalents). Bandwidths now run in the 200-300MHz range,
which is a good omen.

Where would such transistors be?

In the vicinity of the HV coil?

Or near the CRT cathode?

Old September 10th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

..... I forgot..... Thank you Chris!

Old September 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jul 30, 2:04 pm, "xpyttl" wrote:
A few years ago at FDIM, George Dobbs did a presentation about some guy
whose main interest in the hobby was making complete rigs from PC monitors.
He strenuously avoided using any parts that couldn't be scavenged from a
monitor, so obviously, his designs were a little unusual. Getting in contact
with George if you're not in the UK can be an exercise in frustration, and I
don't recall the call of the guy he was talking about, or even the country,
for that matter (I think it's the brains leaking out that's turning my hair
gray).

I think it would have been in the 2005 FDIM proceedings, possibly 2003, but
I think 2005.

..

wrote in message

ups.com...

In the vacuum tube world,
several types of TV line finals
are reused as HF PA FINALS.

- WHAT ABOUT CRT-TYPE PC MONITORS? -

Are there solid state components there
that could do say 5 to 30W (in) at HF?

Any other components
that would fit well
in a basic CW TX?

I'd be moderately surprised if that were not the case!

Hints, anyone?

Filippo
N1JPR/I2

I'm not sure why it should be so difficult to get ahold of Rev.
Dobbs. Visit http://www.staidan.org.uk and follow the obvious link...

Cheers,
Tom

Old September 11th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message om, K7ITM
writes
I'm not sure why it should be so difficult to get ahold of Rev.
Dobbs. Visit http://www.staidan.org.uk and follow the obvious link...

Well I'll be.. I've been reading (and admiring) his stuff for years and
never knew he was only 20 miles away! Live and learn.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Clint Sharp
Old September 14th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

[...]

The video amplifiers are normally on the PCB that plugs directly onto the
back of the tube. The unusual thing about those transistors is that they
are moderately fast and also capable of handling quite high voltage.

Chris

Old September 16th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ted Ted is offline

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:37:57 +0100, Chris Jones

[...]

I pulled parts from 17" Viewsonic/Optiquest, and I found a treasure
trove of parts. The horizontal deflection amp is a VPS10S 3-channel
module (each indentical) tested at 100MHz. The data sheet is on
www.datasheet catalog.com. Vcc is 80 or 90 Volts, but Ic is only 75
mA. It's the only heavy-duty-looking thing on the board that mounts
on the CRT.

However, that monitor' shielding cages would be perfect for tube RF
cages, and there are a lot of large sections of it; a couple of square
feet, at least. The video amp is an LM1205N, 3 channel 28 pin device.
It apparently drives 3 2SC1921s, 200 V Vceo, 50mA, 600 mW, Ft=130
devices. Lots of C0G and Z7R decoupling caps on all the boards. This
is a 1997 vintage monitor, and it was a good'un.

wtd: Extender boards for Cushman CE-50-A /TG service monitor RoDnSuE Equipment 0 December 6th 05 07:21 PM
wtb drake finals James Skalski Swap 1 October 17th 05 12:16 AM
CB with two finals 2 HarryHydro CB 3 April 13th 05 03:24 AM
FA: 6 meter amp, needs finals Jim, N2VX Swap 0 November 23rd 03 02:31 PM
FA: 6 meter amp, needs finals Jim, N2VX Swap 0 November 18th 03 03:27 AM