Old August 17th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Digital Readout for TV Rotator

I have been searching for a QST article that detailed modifying a TV style
rotator such that the readout was a digital panel meter that was scaled for
degrees.
Does anyone recall the article- year/month?

Tnx,
Dale W4OP

Old August 18th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:04:09 GMT, "Dale Parfitt"
wrote:

I have been searching for a QST article that detailed modifying a TV style
rotator such that the readout was a digital panel meter that was scaled for
degrees.
Does anyone recall the article- year/month?

Tnx,
Dale W4OP

Before you go to a lot of trouble check out
http://www.starkelectronic.com/rotor.htm#rotor

It works very well as advertised. It used to be available as a control
box alone. I have one that took a lightning strike that killed the PIC
microprocessor. Unfortunately, the only chip with that pin out is a
one-time-program device.

If you choose to Home brew it you will need to be aware that the three
wire devices consist of two motors, clockwise and counter clockwise.
The position is determined by the run time on the motors. A
calibration cycle is needed occasionally but it works well.

John Ferrell W8CCW
"Life is easier if you learn to
plow around the stumps"
Old August 20th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

I have been searching for a QST article that detailed modifying a TV style
rotator such that the readout was a digital panel meter that was scaled
for
degrees.
Does anyone recall the article- year/month?

Tnx,
Dale W4OP

Dale,

June 2003 QST page 28, "affordable AZ-EL positioner for small
antenna".

Obviously you can just buld one. I did the bridge system
using a DPM to display 0-360mV as degrees.

Allison KB1GMX

Thanks guys- I ordered the CM digital control unit for $38 as that is the
rotator I already have on my shielded loop.

73,
Dale W4OP