Old October 4th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default VT-4C 211 test ?

I just got a few of these tubes and was toying with the idea of perhaps
building a class A audio power amp for grins. I'd like to test them
first to see if they're any good before I put forth any effort or spend
more dollars. I kind of recall that the GE Notes, Hints & Tips, or
whatever they were called had an article for a tester for high power
tubes. Anyone recall that article or some other for a circuit to do
more than a emission test?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old October 4th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I had some tubes and built a tester on my workbench, before I sold the
tubes. The buyer wanted to know how I tested them, then bought the tubes
and asked me to build a tester for him.

If you look at many of the old radio books from the 1930's, it will tell you
how to build such a tester. If you have a lot of jumper wires, you can
easily build one on your bench.

Simplest to start with a socket for the 211 and filament transformer. Then,
you need a plate voltage and a control grid voltage. In my test case, I
just grabbed stuff that caught my eye, and used 12 volts on the plate and a
variable 12 volts on the control grid. Using a microammeter on the plate, I
varied the grid voltage and measured the change in plate current with a
change in control grid voltage, and calculated the mu of the tube, using the
formula in the book.

That simple test will tell you a lot about the tube. It will not test the
tube at higher voltage levels, but you can use a hi-pot tester.

The tester I built for the 211 ended up using 1000 volts for the plate and
had a variable grid voltage and protection circuits. I recall I had 3
meters, measuring plate current and voltage (using a variac) and grid
voltage. I recall I then made a life tester by reducing the filament
voltage.

It was all in an old surplus wooden suitcase box that was polished up.
Looked like something important, with laminated charts, neon lights and a
leather handle.

73, Colin K7FM

test, i haven't see my previous test posts? Henry Kolesnik Antenna 2 June 28th 05 10:01 PM
Test No oNe At All Scanner 0 June 26th 05 04:06 PM
Test Panzer240 Equipment 0 June 10th 05 06:16 PM
DX test [email protected] Broadcasting 1 December 20th 03 06:38 AM
replace cw test with typing test! Jim Hampton Policy 10 July 27th 03 08:36 PM