Old October 15th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.components
No Name

Default Color-matching knobs, banana jacks, wire etc.

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
ups.com...
Actually, ten colors available! 0-9 is ten, not nine. Sometimes I fall
into FORTRAN mode too so I won't blame you for being off by one :-).

I don't know if the Pomona parts are 100% identical, but I just
ordered a few sets from Digikey sold under the "Emerson/Johnson" name.
I'm guessing they're all made in China by the same company:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T073/P0372.pdf

With wonderful toys like this available, made in China, the lead content
should be checked!
Please, please do not put them in your mouth.

Mike W5CHR
Memphis

Old October 15th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.components

On Oct 15, 11:59 am, wrote:
"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message

ups.com... Actually, ten colors available! 0-9 is ten, not nine. Sometimes I fall
into FORTRAN mode too so I won't blame you for being off by one :-).

I don't know if the Pomona parts are 100% identical, but I just
ordered a few sets from Digikey sold under the "Emerson/Johnson" name.
I'm guessing they're all made in China by the same company:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T073/P0372.pdf

With wonderful toys like this available, made in China, the lead content
should be checked!
Please, please do not put them in your mouth.

Hey, I grew up holding 60/40 solder in my mouth while plugging
krypton-85 filled regulator tubes in my left hand and turning knobs
just inches away from radium-filled meters with my right hand. None of
it made in china. And I'm perfectly normal!

Joking aside, it's pretty obvious that a test set with 1000V B+
running around obviously won't be in my kids' hands much less in their
mouths.

Tim.

Old October 15th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.components

In article ,
wrote:
"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, ten colors available! 0-9 is ten, not nine. Sometimes I fall
into FORTRAN mode too so I won't blame you for being off by one :-).

I don't know if the Pomona parts are 100% identical, but I just
ordered a few sets from Digikey sold under the "Emerson/Johnson" name.
I'm guessing they're all made in China by the same company:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T073/P0372.pdf

With wonderful toys like this available, made in China, the lead content
should be checked!
Please, please do not put them in your mouth.

I suspect the lead content on them is much lower than it should be. The
Chinese are not exactly big into making quality phosphor bronze and most
of these sorts of parts coming from China tend to be made from cheap and
gummy cartridge brass. That's okay for the socket, not so good for the plug.
--scott
Old October 17th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.components

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 15, 9:47 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
wrote:

Like Scott Dorsey suggested, probably the way for me to go is to get 5
or 6 or 7 different color banana jacks and paint the knobs to match,
as it seems increasingly unlikely I'll get much match in "raw" knob
color, but still thanks to the others who posted about the multi-color
chickenheads available from AES (I had actually bought them in the
past!) and the knobs from Small Bear.

Pomona Electronics plugs! Nine colors available! Stocked by
Allied!http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/pdf...6-6546_100.pdf

Actually, ten colors available! 0-9 is ten, not nine. Sometimes I fall
into FORTRAN mode too so I won't blame you for being off by one :-).

I don't know if the Pomona parts are 100% identical, but I just
ordered a few sets from Digikey sold under the "Emerson/Johnson" name.
I'm guessing they're all made in China by the same company:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T073/P0372.pdf

Using color-coded Banana plugs/jacks seems preferable to having
massive crossbar wiring, at least in my head.

Question for anyone who has used the Weston CA-1630: Am I correct that
there are pushbuttons in many of the knobs and this is somehow related
to either removing the function of the knob (pin selection) or
selecting that knob's function for stepping during curve tracing
(grid, plate, screen)?

Really wonderful link to a big pic (may not work!) showing the CA-1630
set up to test a 300B:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1968_29319026

Tim.

Nice pic - shame they didn't power it up when they took the pic.
Tom

Color-matching knobs, banana jacks, wire etc. [email protected][_2_] Boatanchors 13 October 17th 07 02:01 AM
Color coded wire Drbob92031 Equipment 0 October 13th 04 03:53 PM
Color coded wire Drbob92031 Equipment 0 October 13th 04 03:53 PM
Color coded wire Drbob92031 Equipment 0 October 13th 04 03:53 PM
Matching 9:1 transformer in random wire antenna. Steven Swift Shortwave 6 December 23rd 03 03:39 PM