Old December 5th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 2SB545A

Hi everybody, I now owned a magnificent Sansui AU-6900 with its tuner
TU-5900. Wow ! WHat a kit. Damping factor 80 !!! But.... I have a
problem on one amp side. I can't adjust bias correctly. After changing
many parts , pre drivers, resistors, I come to the fact that I need to
replace 2 power transistors but I can't find them anywhere in a store
here in Montreal. WOULD ANYBODY HAVE SOME 2SB545A WASTING TIME
SOMEWHERE ? I would give good money for them...
Old December 5th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hi,

If worst comes to worst, it crosses to a NTE88. That might be easier to
find.

Cheers,
__
Gregg

Old December 5th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 5 déc, 01:14, geek wrote:
Hi,

If worst comes to worst, it crosses to a NTE88. That might be easier to
find.

Cheers,
__
Gregg

I know but I really want the original drivers. These NTE are drivers
that CAN replace but doesn't necessarily carry same exact
specifications. I want to still use the other set for the negative
side so I want matched pairs.
Old December 7th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

www.questcomp.com

Old December 7th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Dec 6, 8:53 am, wrote:
On 5 déc, 01:14, geek wrote:

Hi,

If worst comes to worst, it crosses to a NTE88. That might be easier to
find.

Cheers,
__
Gregg

I know but I really want the original drivers. These NTE are drivers
that CAN replace but doesn't necessarily carry same exact
specifications. I want to still use the other set for the negative
side so I want matched pairs.

If you think that having the original transistors will keep the "sonic
purity" (is that the right phrase? - bit out of touch with hifi
voodoospeak) of your amplifier, theres no hope for you - at least, not
in a science/technology oriented group.

I too like Sansui amplifiers - the last one I had, I stripped it down,
got a grunty,high current power supply for a AM transmitter I am
making....nice big power transformer, big can electros on each
rail...cut up the chassis to make it modular for future projects. Used
the heatsinks and some of the output transistors for the modulator
amplifier. Sundry resistors etc, and the nuts/bolts/screws helped with
the hardware.

And it was working, but the AM transmitter project was MUCH more
interesting....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Old December 7th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Dec 7, 11:50 pm, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Dec 6, 8:53 am, wrote:

On 5 déc, 01:14, geek wrote:

[...]

Well, your in luck - went out to the workshop, checked the plastic
crate holding the unused bits of the stripped Sansui amp. Got at least
2 of the 2SB545A ,possibly more - will check, but can guarantee two of
them...- no idea if their matched, I didnt pair them when I stripped
it (wanted to cut off a piece of the original TO3 mounting plate to
machine a heatsink bracket for the new modulator amp, but then its
highly unlikely Sansui matched them anyway - they are from the same
batch though...) And it was working when I stripped it down - got
enough audio stuff here anyway, so it was no great sacrifice...

Give me your postal address off group, will send them over to you.
When you get them, send me some American dollar bills for the marked
postage cost....mark the email 2sb545 so I dont spam it...

And yes, was stirring you re the amp - as a working tech, its common
to do transistor substitutions for unobtainable parts.....and I think
Canadians have a reasonable sense of humour........

Andrew VK3BFA.
Old December 7th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

snip
When you get them, send me some American dollar bills for the marked
postage cost....mark the email 2sb545 so I dont spam it...

I thought the Canadian dollar was stronger right now ;-)

Michael
Old December 7th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Dec 8, 1:31 am, msg wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

snip

When you get them, send me some American dollar bills for the marked
postage cost....mark the email 2sb545 so I dont spam it...

I thought the Canadian dollar was stronger right now ;-)

Michael

It may be - but the American "Green Stamp" is still a universal
currency, useful for getting QSL cards....

Andrew VK3BFA.
Old December 12th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 7 déc, 07:35, "jack" wrote:
www.questcomp.com

Can we order for reasonable amount ? I found many distributors that
needed $300 per line when ordering stuff.

I put an order through ACME and finally they had only 1 available and
never told me before shipping it out. Which left me with an order of
$25 for 1 driver !!! They could refund me the transistor if I ship it
back to them... So I would have spent $20 for nothing ! ( Price was
$11.99 ea. )

I'll keep it in case Andre can't send me those he has or even if
they're not "top shape"...

Thanks Jack