Old December 19th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Default FCC and CE EMC Certification

Greetings:

Why are some imported (to the U.S.) intentional radiators (such as
RC toys, fitness heart-rate monitors, etc.) not FCC EMC Part 15
certified (there is no FCC OET record on file)? These have CE
EMC Certification and a CE 'number'; is there a treaty that
exempts such devices from further FCC certification? Is there
a publicly accessible database of CE 'numbers' similar to the
FCC OET filings? I have found nothing of use on the 'net in
these matters?

This is OT to r.r.a.h. in that it is often useful to get the
schematic of an intentional radiator from the FCC filings or
at least find freq. and emissions info about it when using
parts from such a device in a homebrew project. I would like to
do the same with CE certified devices and also learn why so
much foreign-made stuff isn't in the FCC database.

Regards,

Michael
Old January 5th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Why are some imported (to the U.S.) intentional radiators (such as
RC toys, fitness heart-rate monitors, etc.) not FCC EMC Part 15
certified (there is no FCC OET record on file)? These have CE
EMC Certification and a CE 'number'; is there a treaty that
exempts such devices from further FCC certification? Is there
a publicly accessible database of CE 'numbers' similar to the
FCC OET filings? I have found nothing of use on the 'net in
these matters?

Probably because of a similar reason that toys have lead. Customs
agents too busy looking for drugs and such to worry about some paperwork
issue... And years ago I heard an FCC guy say that they frequently see
bogus FCC certification file numbers on stuff.
Old January 7th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jim Jim is offline

Why are some imported (to the U.S.) intentional radiators (such as
RC toys, fitness heart-rate monitors, etc.) not FCC EMC Part 15
certified (there is no FCC OET record on file)? These have CE
EMC Certification and a CE 'number'; is there a treaty that
exempts such devices from further FCC certification? Is there
a publicly accessible database of CE 'numbers' similar to the
FCC OET filings? I have found nothing of use on the 'net in
these matters?

If memory serves, there are a couple of "exemptions" which might be what
these units are using.

================

If the Effective Radiated Power is below a certain power level, then no
FCC certification is required.

There is also, I think, certain frequency ranges which allow slightly
higher power but still does not need FCC certification.

Jim
N6BIU

--

16:15 Pacific Time Zone
Jan 6 2008

International Time
00:15 UTC
07.01.2008

Old January 7th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"msg" skrev i en meddelelse
Greetings:

Why are some imported (to the U.S.) intentional radiators (such as
RC toys, fitness heart-rate monitors, etc.) not FCC EMC Part 15
certified (there is no FCC OET record on file)? These have CE
EMC Certification and a CE 'number'; is there a treaty that
exempts such devices from further FCC certification? Is there
a publicly accessible database of CE 'numbers' similar to the
FCC OET filings? I have found nothing of use on the 'net in
these matters?

As far that I remember, there exist some mutual agreements concerning
putting on the market CE-marked equipment in the US and vice versa.

This is OT to r.r.a.h. in that it is often useful to get the
schematic of an intentional radiator from the FCC filings or
at least find freq. and emissions info about it when using
parts from such a device in a homebrew project. I would like to
do the same with CE certified devices and also learn why so
much foreign-made stuff isn't in the FCC database.

There are no central database for CE marked equipment. The doc rests at the
manufacturer and/or the entity putting the equipment on the market.

Regards,

Michael

Regards
Sven