Old March 19th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Schematic Drawing Software - Something simple with no steep learning curve

Can anyone recommend a simple schematic drawing CAD program, not one
of the "do everything" programs that draws living rooms and
skyscrapers, looking for a schematic-only program that does not have
too steep a learning curve, and doesn't cost too much or is freeware
or shareware that won't cost an arm or a leg.

What programs do you use and what are your likes/dislikes/wish list?

I'm trying to settle on something that I will probably only use
occasionally to draw schematics of homebrew projects to file away or
possibly submit for publication. Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Jim, WA5DXP

Old March 19th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Jim wrote:

Can anyone recommend a simple schematic drawing CAD program, not one
of the "do everything" programs that draws living rooms and
skyscrapers, looking for a schematic-only program that does not have
too steep a learning curve, and doesn't cost too much or is freeware
or shareware that won't cost an arm or a leg.

What programs do you use and what are your likes/dislikes/wish list?

I'm trying to settle on something that I will probably only use
occasionally to draw schematics of homebrew projects to file away or
possibly submit for publication. Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Jim, WA5DXP

I use 'xcircuit' (URL (may have changed): http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~tim/programs/xcircuit/)

It needs X11 but you can install 'cygwin' on XP Pro and X11 and it
should run fine.

To see an example drawing please see my linear page:
http://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/837_linear

Michael
Old March 19th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jim Jim is offline

Jim wrote:

Can anyone recommend a simple schematic drawing CAD program, not one
of the "do everything" programs that draws living rooms and
skyscrapers, looking for a schematic-only program that does not have
too steep a learning curve, and doesn't cost too much or is freeware
or shareware that won't cost an arm or a leg.

What programs do you use and what are your likes/dislikes/wish list?

I'm trying to settle on something that I will probably only use
occasionally to draw schematics of homebrew projects to file away or
possibly submit for publication. Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Jim, WA5DXP

There is a schematic draw program that works under WINXP. It is
called TINYCAD.

http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/index.html

One nice detail is, it can generate a netlist that you could use with a
board layout program like FREEPCB.

http://www.freepcb.com/

A different program with a fairly steep learning curve has both a
schematic diagram and a powerful board layout program is KICAD.

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/

Tinycad is probably a nice answer for an easy to learn schematic program,
I included the other two programs as general information in case somebody
wants to also do board layouts....

Jim Pennell
N6BIU

--

22:40 Pacific Time Zone
Mar 18 2008

International Time
05:40 UTC
19.03.2008

Old March 19th 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:10:19 -0500, Jim wrote:

I'm trying to settle on something that I will probably only use
occasionally to draw schematics of homebrew projects to file away or
possibly submit for publication.

Try using there with M$ Paint:
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/symbols.html

Cheers!
Old March 19th 08, 08:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jim wrote in news:1vh0u39ntvch3vi3981oqdmehf9jfmfsfg@
4ax.com:

Can anyone recommend a simple schematic drawing CAD program, not one
of the "do everything" programs that draws living rooms and
skyscrapers, looking for a schematic-only program that does not have
too steep a learning curve, and doesn't cost too much or is freeware
or shareware that won't cost an arm or a leg.

What programs do you use and what are your likes/dislikes/wish list?

I'm trying to settle on something that I will probably only use
occasionally to draw schematics of homebrew projects to file away or
possibly submit for publication. Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Jim, WA5DXP

TINA_TI (http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/fold...t/tina-ti.html)
gives you simulation in the same package, and easy to learn.

Sam

Old March 19th 08, 10:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 18, 11:10*pm, Jim wrote:
Can anyone recommend a simple schematic drawing CAD program, not one
of the "do everything" programs that draws living rooms and
skyscrapers, looking for a schematic-only program that does not have
too steep a learning curve, and doesn't cost too much or is freeware
or shareware that won't cost an arm or a leg.

LTspice does schematics as a side effect of simulation. Free.
http://www.linear.com/designtools/so...witchercad.jsp

...Keith

Old March 19th 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Dear Fellows;

Thanks for the good leads, I'll be busy next few days trying out these
programs. Thanks again for your help.

Old March 19th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Can anyone recommend a simple schematic drawing CAD program, not one
of the "do everything" programs that draws living rooms and
skyscrapers, looking for a schematic-only program that does not have
too steep a learning curve, and doesn't cost too much or is freeware
or shareware that won't cost an arm or a leg.

What programs do you use and what are your likes/dislikes/wish list?

I'm trying to settle on something that I will probably only use
occasionally to draw schematics of homebrew projects to file away or
possibly submit for publication. Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Jim, WA5DXP

One that no-one else seems to have suggested is the PCB/Schematic
package from ExpressPCB.com. This is a freeware package for Windows that
is very easy to use (no Cygwin baggage). It can export to bitmaps in
various resolutions or to Windows metafile. Obviously it can also export
to the PCB program, which is also very nice, but you don't need to use
that part of you don't need.
Brian.
Disclaimer: I have no connection with ExpressPCB other than being a very
satisfied customer for about 5 years.
Old March 19th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Brian;

I came across that one last night and have it installed and testing
it. The only thing is I could not find a symbol for a terminal strip.
Also, can you tell me how to place a heavy DOT where two lines
intersect on the schematic where they are supposed to join?
Is there a place where you can find more symbols for it? I think in a
few hours time one could become proficient in it. I still need to
learn how to adjust sizes and get the text to align inside the symbols
correctly, it's not automatic centering. I'm probably doing something
wrong... maybe I should read the instructions as a last resort.. he
he..

I also have TINYCAD installed and have not tried it yet.

The good part you just do the PCB part and send it off and receive
your PCB in a few days.... he he... So far it's easy to use. I also
have the others mentioned except the first one, could not understand
what CYGWIN is, but the schematic sure was a beauty. There is a
WINDOWS .EXE version, but the say it's not debugged and I think you
need to install other programs which I have no clue about, so was
afraid to install it.

Thanks to all.

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:18:00 -0400, Brian Collett