Old April 21st 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Grid circuits for RF power amplifiers

I need some information on an appropriate input circuit for a small RF power
amplifier using a 2E26 operating in the HF region. Output would be about 27
watts. Drive input power about 0.12 watts.

I want the input circuit of the PA to present a 50 or 75 Ohm load to the
driver (the exciter - probably a CW QRP rig - will supply about 0.12
watts). Perhaps (I muse) it would be good, (certainly it would be
convenient) if the input circuit was NOT a tuned input circuit, but see
below.

Questions (that incidentally show my thinking):

Can anyone point me to a website that gives the design data for an
appropriate circuit given the things I have mentioned?

Is it okay to have an untuned grid circuit? I muse no problem if the
exciter has a pi-network output circuit. I just wonder that if the exciter
uses a pi network, if that would represent both the exciter anode/collector
tank circuit, and the grid tank circuit. (So, really there would be a tuned
input circuit - the output pi-network of the exciter). (Just shows I know
nothin', I'm not even certain whether solid stage rigs use Pi-networks to
match with the load).

Any thoughts on biasing arrangement - fixed bias, drive bias, or cathode
bias? (Perhaps fixed bias is best - no need for a clamp valve). Grid bias
needs to be about - 45 volts. Muse that a simple RF choke supplying the bias
to grid would suffice.

So, basically, I want to be able to plug a QRP rig into the PA, tune up the
QRP rig and the plate circuit of PA, and that's it.

Old April 21st 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:04:02 +0100, Richard wrote:

[...]

Elsewhere you say that a 2E26 needs 170mW, here you're going to give it
120?

If you want to minimize the drive power you're going to have to use a
tuned grid circuit; having such a power-efficient design is going to make
your circuit susceptible to oscillation, as it'll take less than 1% of
the output power to come back in to the grid circuit and cause problems.
So a 120 (or 170) milliwatt input implies both a tuned grid circuit and
neutralization.

If you want to go broad-band, you need some dissipative elements in the
grid circuit to broaden the response. Something like a plain old
resistor would do quite well. With resistive loading, your grid circuit
will both be broader band _and_ your need for neutralization will be far
less. I'd be tempted to think along the lines of a 1W QRP rig and
resistor in the grid circuit that dissipates 800mW. I'll leave the
calculations to you, but this will broaden your grid circuit response
considerably, ease your bias network design problem, and reduce (or
eliminate) the need for neutralization and/or obsessively high degrees of
isolation in your circuit layout.

Have fun -- take everything I just said with a grain of salt, because
I've only ever designed transistor PA stages.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Old April 21st 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

=========================
Tim ,If I understand the above correctly you refer to a passive grid
circuit with for example a 200 or 300 or 600 Ohms non-inductive resistor
and a toroid type of auto-transformer .

With the exiter output impedance being 50 Ohms , the auto-transformer
impedance step-up would have to be as follows ;
For the 200 Ohms resistor 1: 4
For the 300 Ohms resistor 1: 6
for the 600 Ohms resistor 1: 12

The resistor to be chosen would be able to swing the grid voltage
sufficiently to drive the tube ,which would have a set negative grid
voltage for whatever Class the tube will operate eg class C , AB or even
A ,all that for the exiter power available.

Such a passive grid scheme can be found on the web site of AG6K.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old April 22nd 08, 09:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Highland Ham" wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I see that EI9GC uses passive grid in his PA.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~ei9gq/amp.html

Also, I just discover the RF Amplifiers group at Yahoo. Will join that.

Old April 25th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Yep, come on over to the yahoo rf amplifiers group and we'll try to
help you out...

cheers,
s.