Old June 2nd 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default REMOVING ENAMEL COATING

On Jun 1, 1:24�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
The best product for stripping enamel wire is one which not many
hobbyists will have around the home: �a solder pot.

Yup. I've used them.

Of course someone might protest that the discussion is about doing the
job *chemically*....

Foster Transformer in Cincinnati used this method for stripping
enamel
and tinning the ends of transformer leads simultaneously. �All they did
was do straighten out the leads and dip the wire ends into the pot for about five seconds.

Pretty much standard in the electronics industry, really. Faster and
less costly than Strip-X for production work.

At Southgate Radio, for multiple units, an improvised solder pot is
made by heating a cleaned-out tuna can full of solder splashes over a
propane torch or stove burner(with appropriate safety precautions).
For small jobs, a blob of solder on the 100 watt American Beauty iron
does the job.

Elecraft transceiver kits (except the K3) require that you wind
toroids and strip the wire ends. They recommend the solder-blob
method, and since the wire is relatively small you don't need a big
iron. My military-surplus Weller WCTPK kit does the job very well.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old June 2nd 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:24�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
The best product for stripping enamel wire is one which not many
hobbyists will have around the home: �a solder pot.

Yup. I've used them.

Of course someone might protest that the discussion is about doing the
job *chemically*....

Chemically-schmemically. Do they want to remove enamel or discuss
semantics?

Foster Transformer in Cincinnati used this method for stripping
enamel
and tinning the ends of transformer leads simultaneously. �All they did
was do straighten out the leads and dip the wire ends into the pot for about five seconds.

Pretty much standard in the electronics industry, really. Faster and
less costly than Strip-X for production work.

I think I've already related the tale in r.r.a.p. that I had the
President of Ideal Tool make a call on Foster with me. His plan was to
sell one of the company's new abrasive stone type enamel removing
machines. After the kindly chief engineer showed how Foster
removed/tinned with the solder pot, the man from Ideal told me that he
didn't believe there was much of a market for his machine.

At Southgate Radio, for multiple units, an improvised solder pot is
made by heating a cleaned-out tuna can full of solder splashes over a
propane torch or stove burner(with appropriate safety precautions).
For small jobs, a blob of solder on the 100 watt American Beauty iron
does the job.

Waste not, want not. I think I'd just wait until the XYL isn't home and
heat the can on a burner of the gas stove. Doesn't it sound like
something which could go terribly, terribly wrong?

Elecraft transceiver kits (except the K3) require that you wind
toroids and strip the wire ends. They recommend the solder-blob
method, and since the wire is relatively small you don't need a big
iron. My military-surplus Weller WCTPK kit does the job very well.

I've often used a razor blade or X-acto knife to get the job done.

Dave K8MN
Old June 2nd 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:24�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
The best product for stripping enamel wire is one which not many
hobbyists will have around the home: �a solder pot.

Yup. I've used them.

Of course someone might protest that the discussion is about doing the
job *chemically*....

Chemically-schmemically. Do they want to remove enamel or discuss
semantics?

Never thought of it one way or the other. I suppose if I had to classify
it as something, I'de callit chemical. But I don't get why that would be
a complaint about th eprocess.

[...]

Yes it does. I did have the occasion to melt some lead for a
counterbalance for a telescope I made. I took a cast iron saucepan and
put the lead in it, and melted it over a Coleman stove outside the
garage. I was a little concerned while I did it, but it all turned okay.

I wonder if there is a specific metal the solder pots used. I don't know
if critical applications would have an issue with contamination or not.
Solder is a bit corrosive.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old June 3rd 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jun 2, 1:22Â*pm, Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:24�pm, Dave Heil wrote:

Of course someone might protest that the discussion
is about doing the job *chemically*....

Chemically-schmemically. Â*Do they want to remove enamel
or discuss semantics?

Some folks will argue just for the sake of arguing. And while they
will talk a lot about their experience of decades past, they'll not
say much about what they have actually done recently. Particularly in
terms of actually building their own ham rigs or operating on the ham
bands.

All they did
was do straighten out the leads and dip the wire ends
into the pot for about five seconds.

Pretty much standard in the electronics industry, really. Faster and
less costly than Strip-X for production work.

I had the
President of Ideal Tool make a call on Foster with me. Â*His plan
was to
sell one of the company's new abrasive stone type enamel
removing
machines. Â*After the kindly chief engineer showed how Foster
removed/tinned with the solder pot, the man from Ideal told me
that he
didn't believe there was much of a market for his machine.

ooops! Hadn't heard that one before!

At Southgate Radio, for multiple units, an improvised solder pot is
made by heating a cleaned-out tuna can full of solder splashes over a
propane torch or stove burner(with appropriate safety
precautions).
For small jobs, a blob of solder on the 100 watt American
Beauty iron does the job.

Waste not, want not.

That's a key value at Southgate Radio. Also:

Use it up, wear it out
Make it do, or do without

Â*I think I'd just wait until the XYL isn't home and
heat the can on a burner of the gas stove.

That's what I described.

Â*Doesn't it sound like
something which could go terribly, terribly wrong?

Not with "appropriate safety precautions".

Elecraft transceiver kits (except the K3) require that you wind
toroids and strip the wire ends. They recommend the solder-blob
method, and since the wire is relatively small you don't need a big
iron. My military-surplus Weller WCTPK kit does the job very well.

I've often used a razor blade or X-acto knife to get the job done.

Me too, but it depends on whether a tinned wire is wanted.

Now when it comes to terminating a 37 conductor #14 Kerite cable...but
that's another story....

73 de Jim, N2EY

Removing PRO III Main tuning knob? Dale Parfitt Equipment 0 July 6th 07 03:09 AM
'Stripping' Enamel Wire. Jim Flanagan Homebrew 21 September 26th 06 02:40 PM
Toroids coating Ivan Makarov Homebrew 8 December 3rd 05 07:10 PM
Need Help on Removing Viking 500 Front Panel Roy Boatanchors 1 December 27th 03 08:16 PM
removing spanner nut Imran Akbar Scanner 1 October 2nd 03 02:31 AM