Old June 18th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default inductor help

Hello,
in an old VFO project that I'd like to duplicate (seems easy and
stable enough for me), the inductors (2) are specified as a number of
turns on a 5mm former with
"purple core". Now I know what a 5mm former might be, but I surely
don't have any idea what a purple core is and how to recognize it on
my parts department :-)
Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Francesco IZ8DWF
Old June 18th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 18 Giu, 17:37, Tim Wescott wrote:
wrote:
Hello,
in an old VFO project that I'd like to duplicate (seems easy and
stable enough for me), the inductors (2) are specified as a number of
turns on a 5mm former with
"purple core". Now I know what a 5mm former might be, but I surely
don't have any idea what a purple core is and how to recognize it on
my parts department :-)
Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Francesco IZ8DWF

Some company in Europe that was popular with amateurs made ferrite or
iron-powder cores and color coded the mixes. Purple doesn't match the
color codes for Micro-Metals cores that are available in the US, so it's
not one of theirs (or it's an obscure one).

You may be able to figure out the inductance, and make the inductor some
other way. This takes away some of the 'easy', but it's at least a method.

If you can post the schematic and the operating frequency somewhere,
someone here may take a stab at suggesting an inductance.

the schematic is 470K pdf, write me privately and I'll send it.
Thanks for help.

Francesco IZ8DWF
Old June 18th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:
Hello,
in an old VFO project that I'd like to duplicate (seems easy and
stable enough for me), the inductors (2) are specified as a number of
turns on a 5mm former with
"purple core". Now I know what a 5mm former might be, but I surely
don't have any idea what a purple core is and how to recognize it on
my parts department :-)
Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Francesco IZ8DWF

Some company in Europe that was popular with amateurs made ferrite or
iron-powder cores and color coded the mixes. Purple doesn't match the
color codes for Micro-Metals cores that are available in the US, so it's
not one of theirs (or it's an obscure one).

You may be able to figure out the inductance, and make the inductor some
other way. This takes away some of the 'easy', but it's at least a method.

Well, actually the inductances should be approximately 76 nH and 9.2
uH according to the frequency range of the VFO. But not having a
reliable method to determine cores characteristics from the ones found
on the parts box, I'd rather identify the good cores in some other
manner.
The long way will be just winding some (random?) number of turns on
random cores and see where it goes to oscillate, if oscillating at
all :-) But it's true, it's not as easy as before, and still wouldn't
tell me if the selected core is well suited for the frequency range
I'm interested in.

Francesco IZ8DWF

Old June 18th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:
[...]

Neosid coil formers and cores have always been popular in Europe. They
are still made, but it can be difficult to buy them.

Leon

Old June 18th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

The following link will take you to some of the Denco (and other
manufacturer's) data sheets about the old coil formers and dust-cores.

http://vintageradio.me.uk/info/dencocoils.htm

Hope this helps

Derek.

In message
,
writes

--
Derek R. Smith.

FA: ROLLER INDUCTOR notmeman Boatanchors 0 April 4th 06 03:51 AM
wtb roller inductor buddy Equipment 2 October 26th 05 07:18 PM
WTB Roller Inductor John Equipment 0 March 31st 04 03:07 PM
wtb large inductor larry d clark Homebrew 0 March 6th 04 02:12 PM
WTB: Roller Inductor castles Swap 2 January 7th 04 06:02 AM