Old June 18th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Al Al is offline

Default Newsgroup Elimination

I have sent the following to Verizon. I hope more do the same. They are
eliminating access to all but 8 supergroups.

Why are you deleting perfectly good newsgroups from your service? I
routinely access the following"
alt.autos.jaguar
alt.autos.subaru
alt.engineering.electrical
alt.ham-radio
alt.os.linux.ubunt
rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
If my access is denied, I will encourage my Senate and House delegations
to enact legistation that will restore my legitimate access to these
groups. I think the last thing you would want is more legislation on your
networks.

Al
Old June 19th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Unfortunately, nothing to do with the net is a protected right, it is a
privilege. Most ISP's don't even know what Usenet is let alone carry
it.

I buy blocks from Octanews, because while my current ISP has access, they
cap it at 16Kb/s. Makes downloading mp3's on my cellphone faster. Octanews
blocks aren't limited as to speed, just Mbytes.

Good luck!
__
Gregg
Old June 20th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"geek" wrote in message
news
Unfortunately, nothing to do with the net is a protected right, it is a
privilege.

Actually it's a contractual agreement between you and your ISP, but
realistically most "consumer grade" ISPs promise nothing -- no guarantees on
speed, services, ports, uptime, etc.!

Old June 20th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
A A is offline

You might try access via google (groups.google.com) and web browsing.
Also, look at other ISPs. There are a lot out there. Lots are more
friendly to the old "free" internet spirit. I use www.panix.com quite a
bit of the time. There are many others.

======= no change to below, included for reference and context ====

Old June 20th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Al wrote:
I have sent the following to Verizon. I hope more do the same. They are
eliminating access to all but 8 supergroups.

Why are you deleting perfectly good newsgroups from your service? I
routinely access the following"
alt.autos.jaguar
alt.autos.subaru
alt.engineering.electrical
alt.ham-radio
alt.os.linux.ubunt
rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
If my access is denied, I will encourage my Senate and House delegations
to enact legistation that will restore my legitimate access to these
groups. I think the last thing you would want is more legislation on your
networks.

Al

Right now I am using AT&T (bellsouth) DSL. If they drop the news groups
and Comcast doesn't, I think bellsouth will lose both my phone and
internet business. It's nice to have TWO providers of the same service
competing with each other!

Old June 21st 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

ken scharf wrote:
Right now I am using AT&T (bellsouth) DSL. If they drop the news groups
and Comcast doesn't, I think bellsouth will lose both my phone and
internet business. It's nice to have TWO providers of the same service
competing with each other!

=======================================
Agreed, this is rather OT ,but if you have a (A)DSL connection with a
provider in the USA , do you have to 'sit out' a say 12 months contract
before you can switch or can you switch at any time ?

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old June 24th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
A A is offline

Did any of you guys look at http://groups.google.com to see if what you
want is there? There are lots of ways to connect to NG servers that are
outside of your network (unless they disable nntp protocols).

Old June 24th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:39:43 -0400, A wrote:

Did any of you guys look at http://groups.google.com to see if what you
want is there? There are lots of ways to connect to NG servers that are
outside of your network (unless they disable nntp protocols).

Ya, but... Post from Google and a Great Portion of the usenet
population will never see your postings:

http://jonz.net/ng.htm

http://improve-usenet.org/

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm
Old June 26th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
A A is offline

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:39:43 -0400, A wrote:

Did any of you guys look at http://groups.google.com to see if what you
want is there? There are lots of ways to connect to NG servers that are
outside of your network (unless they disable nntp protocols).

Ya, but... Post from Google and a Great Portion of the usenet
population will never see your postings:

I have access to three non-Google ISPs and in recent months, the posts
have been getting out to all of them just as fast as I can log onto them
by telnet and check for myself. They have improved over, say, a year ago.

Whether your post gets "out" far onto the net depends at least to some
degree on where on the net your ISP is located and what kind of traffic
flows there. I've had experience with about a dozen UNIX shell account
ISPs over the last 15 years and in the past there were quite a few that
did _not_ have good connectivity with other ISPs through the nntp
protocol. I'm not overly happy with Google for NG access, but if anyone is
unhappy with their own ISP's NG server (they can subscribe or block
whatever NGs they feel like) then certainly they should try Google. And,
you can even use Google (and other "portals") to find other NG accesses.

http://jonz.net/ng.htm

http://improve-usenet.org/

Jonesy

Old June 26th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, A wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:39:43 -0400, A wrote:

Did any of you guys look at http://groups.google.com to see if what you
want is there? There are lots of ways to connect to NG servers that are
outside of your network (unless they disable nntp protocols).

Ya, but... Post from Google and a Great Portion of the usenet
population will never see your postings:

I have access to three non-Google ISPs and in recent months, the posts have
been getting out to all of them just as fast as I can log onto them by telnet
and check for myself. They have improved over, say, a year ago.

You miss the point, though I'm tired of seeing all this off-topic
discussion in every newsgroup as the clueless post about it rather
than know what's happening and finding the right place to post.

He's saying that many will filter out posts from google. Too much
spam, but too much cluelessness. People posting from google without
any awareness of where they are. People posting from google without
quoting what they are replying to. People posting from google and
being clueless about how others see the newsgroup, so they think
doing things like replying to spam with an empty message but a different
subject header will "fix things"; the rest of the world sees an empty
message that requires effort to figure out what the post is about since
we don't see it all on one webpage. Google has made it too easy
for people to post to Usenet, so they can post without giving any
thought to what already exists. They too often think a newsgroup
is a hangout, where anything goes so long as everyone shares the
common interest of the newsgroup. SO rather than find a newsgroup
where a post is on-topic, they post where their "buddies" are.

With each little bit, the newsgroups degrade just a little bit more.
Drive out the ones who know what they are doing, and then the clueless
can do whatever they like.

Michael VE2BVW