Old August 27th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default microwave oven inverter P.S. revisited

finally came across an article by VK3HZ that describes how to make a
microwave oven inverter PS work, as a stand alone supply.
the link is:
www.users.bigpond.net.au/dwsmith/hv_inverter.pdf

It's only regulated from the primary side. And you can make it put out
anything from 2000 to 4000 VDC. but at 1300 watts.

So all I have to do is load down the primary to fake out the regulator
into seeing 1300 watts, Or run class A.

The output or the input still has to be filtered

There's an opto coupler that has to see a 110hz square wave, according
to VK3HZ, that'll keep the supply running full tilt as long as there
is power supplied to the inverter.

73
n8zu
Old August 28th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Aug 27, 12:40*pm, raypsi wrote:
finally came across an article by VK3HZ that describes how to make a
microwave oven inverter PS work, as a stand alone supply.
the link is:www.users.bigpond.net.au/dwsmith/hv_inverter.pdf

It's only regulated from the primary side. And you can make it put out
anything from 2000 to 4000 VDC. but at 1300 watts.

So all I have to do is load down the primary to fake out the regulator
into seeing 1300 watts, Or run class A.

The output or the input still has to be filtered

There's an opto coupler that has to see a 110hz square wave, according
to VK3HZ, that'll keep the supply running full tilt as long as there
is power supplied to the inverter.

73
n8zu

If the circuit can be driven from 555 osc perhaps the pulse width can
be controlled from a feedback voltage taken off the output of the
power supply.
I am thinking adding a small winding to the transformer rectifying and
filtering it and supplying this back to control the pulse width of
your osc.

JImmie
Old August 29th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Aug 28, 4:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

JImmie- Hide quoted text -

I was the OP of the origonal thread about the inverter power supplies.
I was actually more interested in learning about the design of the
power supplies so I could possibly build one from scratch. With the
right information this may be easier to do than to modify one from a
microwave oven. I am very grateful for the information. I have a
couple of the Panasonic power supplies unfortunately they dont work
but maybe I can repair them now that I have a schematic. Information
on the transformer would be a good thing to have as I am sure it could
be optimized for the desired output voltage and current needed for an
amateur amplifier.

With the current transformer on the front end I am guessing this may
be the feedback path for regulation. That is to say the power supply
is being controlled by the amount of current that is being drawn on
the input side of the power supply. If this is the case maybe this
input can be taken of the out put of the power supply and then the
supply could be voltage regulated instead of being power regulated.

Jimmie
Old September 2nd 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Aug 28, 8:39*pm, wrote:
On Aug 28, 4:02*pm, wrote:

[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Hey Jimmie

I suppose that you could use the duty cycle feature of this supply to
control the output
but I'd need a bank of 450WVDC caps to supply filtering.
So say the power of the amp drops: the supply will compensate by
increasing the voltage
But with feedback I could drop the duty cycle thru the opto coupled
input. Thus causing a drop in voltage which the filter would handle.
By running the inverter at another lower duty cycle I can control the
output voltage.

I would suggest at least a bank of 16, 450WVDC for a little head room.
Plus that would take out the 120 cycle ripple.

73

n8zu
Old September 2nd 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sep 1, 7:48*pm, raypsi wrote:
On Aug 28, 8:39*pm, wrote:

On Aug 28, 4:02*pm, wrote:

[...]

..
But with feedback I could drop the duty cycle thru the opto coupled
input. Thus causing a drop in voltage which the filter would handle.
By running the inverter at another lower duty cycle I can control the
output voltage.

I would suggest at least a bank of 16, 450WVDC for a little head room.
Plus that would take out the 120 cycle ripple.

73

n8zu- Hide quoted text -

Thats pretty much my idea.
In radars something very similar to develop 6KV to charge the PFN. If
you could analyze the circuit where the current sample is picked off
the AC mains that would tell us a lot about what would be needed to
develop the proper feedback signal off of the switching transformer.
Unfortunately I am without power supply at the moment. Well I have one
but my wife has forbid me to touch it. That is her primary cooking
device As Dave idicated the rectifiers for the output of the pwer
supply are configured as a doubler and it could be configured as a
bridge if you wanted lower voltage. I am thinking maybe( a lot of
supposig here) this thing may be configured from 1500 to nearly 5kv by
using a combination af feedback adjustment and rectifier
configuration.

I agree with about the caps,

I emailed Dave and he pretty much agrees with my idea at least in
theory but he has dropped the project at least for now.

didnt you say you had a source for these power supplies.

Anyone who gets this to work would surely have some serious ham radio
bragging rights.

Jimmie

Old September 6th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sep 1, 9:57*pm, wrote:
On Sep 1, 7:48*pm, raypsi wrote:

.

[...]

I have found some better schematics on the inverter. It looks like
modifying the power supply for amateur QRO is very plausable. Where
could I post them so anyone who wanted them would have access?

Jimme
Old September 11th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sep 1, 7:48*pm, raypsi wrote:
On Aug 28, 8:39*pm, wrote:

On Aug 28, 4:02*pm, wrote:

[...]

The mains rectifier could use some filtering too. Im thinking using
the caps out of some old PC power supplies

Jimmie

Microwave oven transformers. terry Homebrew 6 November 4th 07 07:59 AM
microwave oven power supply Jimmie D Homebrew 28 August 12th 07 01:32 AM
Microwave oven transformers AndyS Homebrew 13 July 29th 06 10:53 PM
Microwave oven magnetron Frank Antenna 5 June 14th 05 12:50 AM
EM field og GSM and microwave oven in V/m ? Thierry Antenna 3 November 9th 04 04:57 PM