Old November 19th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Question about unwanted VFO pulling during transmit

Kendal Goodson wrote:

I've located the problem. I thought it would be something pretty
subtle and it turned out to be just that. One of the pins on the
SA612 did not go into the socket properly. It bent under and was just
almost touching the socket contact. I guess it was capacitively
coupling to the VFO output instead of getting a good feed. I've
straightened it and I'm up and running.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

72,
Kenn
KA5KXW

Ah, good detective work. I would have never seen that coming!

-Bill

Old November 19th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Nov 18, 5:21*pm, Kendal Goodson wrote:
On Nov 18, 1:19*pm, exray wrote:

Kendal Goodson wrote:
Thanks Grumpy. *I'll check supply voltage next. It's not a thermal
problem. *The output is nice and stable until key down when it pulls.
It's also frequency stable during keydown, just on a different
frequency. *The oscillator isn't keyed, so I don't think it's an
oscillator startup issue.

73,
Kenn

I'm missing something. *You said that the 'driver' etc were disconnected
and the osc is not being keyed.

So what is actually being keyed?

-Bill

I see I've done a poor job of writing up the problem statement. *The
VFO at ~3.050 feeds a SA612 whose internal oscillator runs at 4.0 Mhz
and mixes the two to come up with ~7.050Mhz. *Output from the mixer
goes through a tuned bandpass filter to a class A driver and then to a
class C final. *When I found I had a problem with the VFO staying on
frequency during transmit, I disconnected the driver stage and
replaced it with a resistor termination. *The problem stayed
consistent. *The SA612 and the buffer/driver stage are both keyed.

Ahah! The SA612's input impedance will change by a lot when it is
keyed up vs keyed down.

Two ways to get around this:

1. Additional buffering between the VFO and SA612

2. Swamp the impedance change from power up to power down by adding
some parallel resistance. Should be DC-isolated from the SA612's input
because otherwise you will upset the balance.

Solution #1 requires some additional parts and current drain. I really
like the two-transistor W7EL buffer.

Solution #2 is just a capacitor and a resistor, but also assumes that
the VFO has enough drive that it won't object to being swamped.

Tim N3QE
Old November 20th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Nov 18, 1:19*pm, exray wrote:

Kendal Goodson wrote:
[...]

-Kenn- Hide quoted text -

Are you sure its the VFO and not the SA612?

Jimmie
Old November 24th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Nov 18, 1:19 pm, exray wrote:

Kendal Goodson wrote:
[...]

That sounds like it's the problem, and those are the solutions I'd
suggest -- Tim just got there first.

Do check the supply voltages to the VFO while you're at it, though --
changing VFO (and buffer stage) supply voltages will also pull the VFO
frequency.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Pulling Cable in Conduit jimbo Antenna 14 January 23rd 06 05:16 AM
Pulling crystal Apparatus Homebrew 6 November 6th 05 09:19 AM
oscillator problem: pulling crystal abt 500 Hz in LT2S SSB Electronics -transverter Pasi Equipment 0 September 3rd 05 09:02 AM
vlf transmit antenna question Albert Homebrew 2 March 29th 05 01:03 PM
Elite Bankers Now Pulling Plug On US Economy & Currency! Jim Douglas Shortwave 4 May 29th 04 06:17 PM