Old December 22nd 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Rig Response 3 , expected 38

I've posted this on the XmLog group without a response explaining the
meaning of this message: "Rig Response 3 , expected 38." Attempting
to configure a so-called virtual com port from a freeware program so
that I can run that log software on a discrete port, I get that
message. What is 3? And if 38 is the optimal figure, how do I get to
38?

Is there nyone in this group who can explain this?

Thanks & 73,
Evan
Old December 22nd 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:32:55 -0800 (PST)
From: fazamy
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Subject: Rig Response 3 , expected 38

I've posted this on the XmLog group without a response explaining the
meaning of this message: "Rig Response 3 , expected 38." Attempting
to configure a so-called virtual com port from a freeware program so
that I can run that log software on a discrete port, I get that
message. What is 3? And if 38 is the optimal figure, how do I get to
38?

Is there nyone in this group who can explain this?

Thanks & 73,
Evan

It would help if you listed critical details like:

1. what is the name of the application.
2. its version number.
3. whether the documentation specifies what kind of operating system it
needs, what kind of hardware is a pre-requisit. And, whether there
is a "readme" file with description of issues.
4. what OS you actually are using.
5. whether you attempted to contact the source of the software for an
answer.
6. whether the com port is specifiable from the software.
7. does the com port hardware actually exist and correspond to what is
configurable from the software.
8. and out of curiosity, what is supposed to go in or out of the com port
in this "logging" software? And, what is it supposed to connect with?
9. did you buy the software or get it from someone else who has it
working? (ask them for help?).

That is for starters.

Old December 22nd 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:32:55 -0800 (PST)
From: fazamy
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

[...]

Really?

0.5. What does this have to do with homebrew?
Old December 25th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:32:55 -0800 (PST)
From: fazamy
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

[...]

hey OM:

Well you have to be desperate to ask what does it have to do with
homebrew?
When you should have asked: what does it have to do with amateur radio
homebrew?

But this ham needs is support. Not condescending attitudes. His first
problem is he gots Windoz.
The second trouble is that's like freeware. You gits no support.

A whois lookup of xmlog.com I finds this information:

Administrative Contact:
McAmis, Mike
Blat
433 Hanover Center Road
Etna, NH 03750
US
603-643-4361 fax: 603-643-4217

Now that FAX number is sum church. So whether you can gits ahold of
Mike at the phone number listed as his registrar contact, you might
end up on a wild goose chase.
Maybe you should try emailing mike.

It's obvious what that means, the freeware is looking for a 38 and
your rig is telling the freeware 3. Your'e set up for the wrong rig.
You have to go into the settings and find what rig is listed as 3 and
set the sittings for that rig.

Towit it's like you set it up for say a 706MkII when you should have
set it up for a 706MkIIG.

Now if you can't figure it out then you are going to have to try them
all twice. The second times always the charm.

good luck on straight key night.

73 OM
n8zu

Old December 26th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:32:55 -0800 (PST)
From: fazamy
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

[...]

Dear OM,
TU. An original post was on the XMLog group and it took a long while,
in my estimate, to get a response. However, I got a couple of
suggestions and an explanation which involved the sending of ASCII
characters.

I don't mind asking questions that might be perceived as dumb. (Just
look at my history of posts to various groups. Many years ago I
created quite a stir when I asked a question about a Beverage antenna,
hi hi.)

So, to all the helpful and compassionate Ops, thank you very much.
Over the years, I received a lot of help from the many groups on which
I posted.

73,
Evan