Old June 10th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default The Scout kit

http://www.qrpkits.com/scoutregen.html

I received mine and got it assembled this afternoon. Pretty nifty little
radio and easy to build. No problems at all. The instruction manual gets
an A+++. They did short me one part - A 1 meg/1/4w resistor.

I had just started my Kitchin rcvr when this one came out. After a few
days of counting my coins I decided to go for it. Figured it would be
fun to compare with my homebrew.
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/95hb1768.pdf

The little rig works great. Frankly I think the front end is better than
mine. Mine was crippled without a BCB trap to notch out my local
station. This one has no trap and the local is not a bother. It also
seems like its not as prone to overload as my circuit.

I thought the no-vernier tuning capacitor would be a big annoyance but
its not so bad. The electronic fine tuning works great and the
regeneration behaves well. I'm no fan of little tiny knobs but what the
heck.

Gonna do some review on the front end of mine now that I see it could be
better.

The kit gets a thumbs up from me. Total assembly time with the coil
winding, decals, etc was about 4-5 leisurely hours.

-Bill WX4A

FA: Ten Tec Scout 555 and PS Jerry Franks Swap 0 October 1st 07 02:06 AM
FA: Ten Tec Scout Jerry Franks Equipment 0 October 1st 07 02:05 AM
FS: TEN TEC SCOUT Fred Zimring Equipment 0 September 4th 06 01:05 PM
FS: TEN TEC SCOUT Fred Zimring General 0 September 4th 06 01:05 PM
WTD opto digital scout scout 40 questions Al Ciesynski Scanner 1 January 21st 04 04:01 AM