Old April 17th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default My latest homebrew project....

Ever since I got my ham ticket (in 1970) I've always wanted to build a
complete transceiver. (I DID build a Heathkit SB102). The project
always seemed a bit too complex though. The problem was I couldn't
build it a piece at a time, and be able to then put all the bits in a
box. In order to do that I'd have to design the entire rig ahead of
time so all the subsystems could have access to the panel for their
controls.

Fast forward. Today what with micro-controllers and control by wire
parts (such as varicap diodes, digital pots, dds chips, etc) all the
subsystems can go anywhere and you only have to have room in the box for
all of them.

I've started designing a home brew transceiver around a few modules I've
seen on line and in various magazines. I've got a DDS-60 for my VFO and
I'm programming an Atmel atmega32 processor to control it. A Bandpass
filter design by PA3AKE using toroids, an IF amplifier by W7ZOI and
WA7MLH using fets and bipolar transistors, and a product detector (from
a direct conversion receiver) by KK7B will form the basis for the
receiver. I have some 9 mhz if filters purchased at Dayton many years
ago. The transmitter stages will be based on 'stock' HB circuits.
Later I might add KK7P's DSP unit with the PicaStar software.

So far I have the DDS working and I've built the KK7B product detector
and audio filter board. I still have to build his audio amplifier
circuit (I divided the project into two circuit boards). I started
working on a cabinet to house the completed rig in. I had a nice
surplus cabinet purchased in NYC back in the 1970's in my junk box just
waiting for a project. Over the past two weeks I've been cutting
openings in the front panel for the controls, LCD, and keypad. I still
have to repaint the panel and the cabinet (40 years of storage hasn't
helped the finish!).

Old April 17th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Apr 16, 7:12*pm, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
[...]

Homebrew is still alive! It's interesting to ponder how you're
adapting to modules that are available, and apparently avoiding having
to directly deal with nasties like ICs with thermal pads on the back
and ball grid arrays -- and comparing that with the parts that were
available back when you got started in ham radio. It's also
interesting how you are picking "modules" out of the published works
of other hams, to get to a design you can call your own while giving
credit to those original authors too. Thanks for sharing, Kenneth!

Cheers,
Tom
Old April 18th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 22:12:56 -0400, Kenneth Scharf
wrote:

[...]

Please keep us informed!
Web sites and links to pictures would be nice.
If you don't know how and are not too interested in learning I can
help you out with that part. Free of course.

There are a lot of folks who are serious about building things today.
I hope to do the same thing as you, but my plan is to go the soft rock
scheme.

Getting it done is always a problem. There are lots of distractions
that divert my attention!
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old April 19th 11, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 4-18-2011 20:14, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names wrote:

Do you have a website? If not, it's not at all expensive to register
your own domain -- something like wa2mze.org -- find someone to host
the site -- GoDaddy comes to mind -- and in a few minutes your site is
up.

Then, you can post details, photos, and the like and ask for ideas and
assistance.

Just a thought.

Or go with a freebie such as www.tripod.com. Most of us can deal with
the "advertising and/or popups. If it's free, it's for me.

N0EDV

Old April 24th 11, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 4-23-2011 20:15, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

Link to photo:
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/hb100-...ont-panel.html

Lookin' gooood!

Homebrew RX restoration project Ron in Radio Heaven[_4_] Boatanchors 1 July 8th 08 11:44 AM
6 Meter Homebrew Project [email protected] Homebrew 7 March 1st 05 01:45 AM
Latest project Bob Liesenfeld Homebrew 2 July 8th 04 04:31 AM
Help an old Ten-Tec tranceiver argonaut II in a homebrew transverter project Peter PE1CUO Homebrew 0 December 5th 03 08:29 PM