Old April 20th 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Building a tv tower hinge. Would this work?

My idea is to make some sort of hinge so I could lower it over and
raise it. I know I mentioned it before but now seems to be the time I
need to do it. (My little boy is starting to find pieces of the
antenna in the yard.)

My thought was to dig a hole beside my current antenna a couple of
feet deep and in circumfrence. Place some 3 inch schedule 80 pipe
(one
for each corner) into the holw with a 2x2 or so piece of 1/4 inch
steel on top. On the end of the plate would be welded a few pieces of
black pipe the diameter of a hitch pin. There would be another piece
of 2x2x1/4 piece of steel with more black iron pipe on it. The black
iron pipe would in effect be the "hinge" part of the mechanism. (sort
of the way I made the fold down gate for my trailer).

Here is where I am having trouble. On top of the "top" plate, I have
some 2 inch black iron pipe. My first thought is two weld three of
these as "legs" on top of the top plate, then put my cut down
exisiting tower into this pipe, drilling a hole through each leg.
(The
new two inch pipe and the legs on the tower). Instering a grade 5
bolt
into this. I have also thought, I wonder if it would be easier to
just
put the three legs up and use u bolts to attach the tv tower to the
outside of the legs.

I would still need to climb part way up it or have the capability to
to adjust my sat dish. I cant figure out a good way to do it with the
tower leaned over.

By the way, I am a ham too!