Old July 26th 13, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Voltage multiplier charge pump

I used to make a living selling capacitors for single stage charge pump they were tagged with the name voltage doubler.

I'm building a 10 stage charge pump using 400wvdc capacitors rated at 22uf. Running this pump from 220 VAC mains it's taking 3 capacitors for each stage. Minus losses I should be getting around 3,300 vdc using a half bridge from the split 220VAC mains here in the USA.

Although google is my friend I can't find much about charge pumps I've had experience building ladder multipliers
I'm just hoping that the 1kPIV diodes will hold up to the task, they are high speed 30amp surge.

73
de n8zu
Old July 26th 13, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
raypsi wrote:

I used to make a living selling capacitors for single stage charge pump they
were tagged with the name voltage doubler.

I'm building a 10 stage charge pump using 400wvdc capacitors rated at 22uf.
Running this pump from 220 VAC mains it's taking 3 capacitors for each stage.
Minus losses I should be getting around 3,300 vdc using a half bridge from
the split 220VAC mains here in the USA.

Although google is my friend I can't find much about charge pumps I've had
experience building ladder multipliers
I'm just hoping that the 1kPIV diodes will hold up to the task, they are
high speed 30amp surge.

Raypsi-

I'm not familiar with the term, "charge pump".

The 240 VAC mains in the US (NOT 220), have a maximum Voltage that can
be as high as 264 VAC since there is a ten percent tolerance. Peak
voltage could be as high as 373 Volts. The rectifier diode could charge
a capacitor up to 373 Volts DC. When the diode is reverse-biased during
the negative half of the cycle, the peak line voltage is -373. The
diode then sees the line voltage in series with the capacitor voltage
for a total of 746 Volts. At least for a simple rectifier, the 1000
Volt diodes might be sufficient.

As I understand voltage multiplier circuits, they consist of simple
rectifier circuits stacked. Output voltage is the sum of the charges on
a stack of capacitors. Rectifier voltages are also stacked so an
individual diode only sees the peak line voltage plus one capacitor's
voltage. If so, your 1000 Volt diodes should be OK.

If a diode actually sees peak line Voltage plus the sum of 2 capacitor's
Voltages, then 1000 Volt diodes would not be sufficient for any line
voltage above 236 VAC.

Fred
K4DII
Old July 26th 13, 05:58 AM
Banned

Location: Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypsi View Post
I used to make a living selling capacitors for single stage charge pump................................. they are high speed 30amp surge.

73
de n8zu
Hi OM Raymond,

Here's a design reference for you.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/88842/anusingr.pdf

73,

Nandu.
Old July 26th 13, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:16:16 -0700, raypsi wrote:

I used to make a living selling capacitors for single stage charge pump
they were tagged with the name voltage doubler.

I'm building a 10 stage charge pump using 400wvdc capacitors rated at
22uf. Running this pump from 220 VAC mains it's taking 3 capacitors for
each stage. Minus losses I should be getting around 3,300 vdc using a
half bridge from the split 220VAC mains here in the USA.

Although google is my friend I can't find much about charge pumps I've
had experience building ladder multipliers I'm just hoping that the
1kPIV diodes will hold up to the task, they are high speed 30amp surge.

73 de n8zu

You can't find it because you are calling it by the wrong name. Google
"Cockroft-Walton Multiplier" and you will get lots of hits. Here are two
to start you off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockcro...lton_generator
http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/cw1.htm

Have fun,

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Old July 27th 13, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hey OM"
thanks for the heads up, though here in 8 land we are regulated by the Michigan public service commission and they let the electric company deliver to the residential costumer anything from 210VAC to 240VAC. Our hood wasn't designed back in the day to handle all the HVAC systems on our circuits in the hood so needless to say the drop on the high voltage lines is considerable and also produces the same drop getting to 240VAC if were are lucky it'll be 220 and most times it's down to 210 this time of the year.

Alas U discovered my caps won't hold up and I have to re double the amount of capacitors to make a true charge pump.
I need, for a ten stage doubler, 75 pieces of 400wvdc capacitors total.

voltage above 236 VAC.

Fred

K4DII