Old May 25th 14, 10:47 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default VFO

On Sun, 25 May 2014 19:37:46 +0100, "gareth"
wrote:

"Rambo" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 25 May 2014 11:40:30 +0100, "gareth"
wrote:

I wonder what others are building into their projects for a VFO
these days?

The PA0KLT from www.sdr-kits.net looks intriguing, and might
settle all arguments in favour of Vackar-Seiler or Franklin for some
years to come?

As does the Minisynth from cumbriadesigns.co.uk

Also, sdr-kits has a 40m SSB transceiver kit for under £150, so there is
no need whatsoever for the tyro to rush and pay out his shekels
for a YaeTriIcom CB (Cheque Book) rig at £800+ (although many will in a
desperate
effort to prove that they are real radio amateurs without realising that
they are proving themselves to be the exact opposite)

Amazing Gareth..you dangle the hook and all the stupid minnows go into
a feeding frenzy.

No bait at all; what I'm trying to do is to encourage the technical
tradition;
a tradition that seems to be lost on recent licensees to the extent that one
questions
whether they are real radio amateurs.

Gareth, every time you try raise a technical discussion either

1) a gang of ignorant minnows (fish brains) hurl abuse.
2) a person in the North Kent area spends the night on google trying
to find info to shoot you down
3) another North Kent resident with no technical ability what so ever
feels threatened and resorts to try to prove his superiority by
hurling pointless abuse, but usually ends up as a laughing stock.
4) Some one does respond with a technical and usefull answer but is
buried or discouraged by the QRM caused by 1) 2) and 3).
Old May 25th 14, 11:21 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Kraftee" wrote in message

But you don't finish anything, even if you do indeed blow the dust of that
top shelf. You go and buy some parts at a local rally, then feel as if
you are raping the wife of the person who had the kit before you. Never
finish but lots of excuses all the way.

39 48

Old May 25th 14, 11:25 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Rambo" wrote in message

Gareth, every time you try raise a technical discussion either

1) a gang of ignorant minnows (fish brains) hurl abuse.
2) a person in the North Kent area spends the night on google trying
to find info to shoot you down
3) another North Kent resident with no technical ability what so ever
feels threatened and resorts to try to prove his superiority by
hurling pointless abuse, but usually ends up as a laughing stock.
4) Some one does respond with a technical and usefull answer but is
buried or discouraged by the QRM caused by 1) 2) and 3).

Oddly, I had noticed :-)

But for the good of amateur radio it's best to ignore them like water
off a duck's back, but otherwise to chastise them for making fools of
themselves
and bringing amateur radio into disrepute.

Nobody should ne discouraged from fomenting technical discussion because
of the bad behaviour that you have identified.

Old May 26th 14, 02:44 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 25 May 2014, gareth wrote:

I wonder what others are building into their projects for a VFO
these days?

The PA0KLT from www.sdr-kits.net looks intriguing, and might
settle all arguments in favour of Vackar-Seiler or Franklin for some
years to come?

It depends on what you want to do. Since most people want multiple bands,
it starts making sense to shift to DDS or a synthesizer, since since the
output will be clean.

But there was a period when it was a sort of hybrid, an analog VFO feeding
a PLL, so you could change bands by a new coil for the VCO and changing
the crystal that mixed the VCO down to the frequency of the VFO. There
the output wsa on the injection frequency, unlike some rigs at the time
that mixed the VFO with crystal oscillators for the injection frequency.

So about 1974 I was playing with that sort of PLL and found some car radio
PTOs at the local surplus tore. The mechanics taken care of, I just had to
add an oscillator to the coil. At that frequency, around 1MHz, it was nice
and stable.

Then a year later, I found a bunch of Collins PTOs really cheap at a
hamfest, and bought some (though then I was talked into parting with all
but one). Those were of course tube PTOs and complete oscillators. Those
were easy to change to an FET, and since they too ran at 1 to 1.5MHz, they
were nice and stable, and it required more turns of the knob to travel the
band.

Since that sort of thing needs a dial or frequency counter, that adds to
the complication, another reason to shift to a synthesizer.

On the other hand, if one was going to use a frequency counter, might as
well add the minimal circuitry for "huff and puff" to help stabilize the
VFO, and then actually run the VFO on the injection frequency. I've never
tried one, but I remember receivers being described in ham magazines where
the VFO ran above the signal frequency, and thus was running quite high in
frequency, but apparently with the "huff and puff" was stable enough for
SSB. Except that such things are fading, it's easier to build a frequency
counter now than it was in 1974, since you can get higher densticy
components even at the logic level. A 74LS390 (I think it wsa) is a dual
decade counter, like two 7490s in the old days. And a latch intended for
computers are 8bits, better than the 7475 of the old days that were 4bits.

Michael

Old May 26th 14, 03:14 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 25 May 2014 21:44:14 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

[...]

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your post, but unfortunately it's mostly landing on deaf ears.
The majority of the audience that you are addressing here don't know the
hot end of a soldering iron from the cold one and bladder control may
also be a more "pressing" issue for some (Rambozo the clown?)

You might be better off approaching other forums where there is sentient
life. UKRA smells of wee and isn't a place I'd suggest spending too much
time around. I come here for a few days and then disappear for a year or
so. It's probably an untapped psychologists paradise with the likes of
Rambozo and Channel 30 Gareth whose unhinged antics could possibly win
someone an Ignoble. And don't bring your kids.

Old May 26th 14, 10:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 25 May 2014 23:25:43 +0100, gareth wrote:

Oddly, I had noticed

So had we subscribers to rrah, please keep it ukra.

TIA

--
M0WYM
Sales @ radiowymsey

Old May 26th 14, 10:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 25 May 2014 22:47:13 +0100, Rambo wrote:

3) another North Kent resident with no technical ability what so ever
feels threatened and resorts to try to prove his superiority by hurling
pointless abuse, but usually ends up as a laughing stock.

I had to laugh when the little one followed the big one into
alt.os.linux.ubuntu and made one silly post aimed at me. I think the
little one must be on a lead!

Old May 26th 14, 11:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Wymsey" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 May 2014 22:47:13 +0100, Rambo wrote:

3) another North Kent resident with no technical ability what so ever
feels threatened and resorts to try to prove his superiority by hurling
pointless abuse, but usually ends up as a laughing stock.

I had to laugh when the little one followed the big one into
alt.os.linux.ubuntu and made one silly post aimed at me. I think the
little one must be on a lead!

What was that you said about keeping such comments to ukra?

Old May 26th 14, 12:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 26 May 2014 11:41:49 +0100, gareth wrote:

What was that you said about keeping such comments to ukra?

But I'm not trying to stir stuff up, merely making a comment. You
consistently try to wind up those that try to wind you up. It is very
tedious and that is why 1) I left ukra and 2) this stuff is best limited
to ukra.

HTHBPN

Happy Whitsun!

Old May 26th 14, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Wymsey" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 May 2014 11:41:49 +0100, gareth wrote:

What was that you said about keeping such comments to ukra?

But I'm not trying to stir stuff up, merely making a comment. You
consistently try to wind up those that try to wind you up

Wrong.

I never try to wind up anybody. I speak, as I have always done, for
the gentlemanly and technical traditions of real amateur radio.

If gratuitous rudeness arises, then I criticise it, quite rightly.