Old July 10th 03, 05:23 PM
John R. Strohm

"TC Dufresne" wrote in message
Hi:
I am having a problem with a "Simple Receiver for Beginners". It is from a
design that was featured in an old (1981) ARRL handbook. It is a DC
receiver, looks like alot of fun, but it isn't fun now.
Here is the problem.

1) No oscillation! I can't find it (the VFO) on my DX-398 receiver at

all,
or on my Radio Shack freq counter.
2) The power (+ side) electrolytic is supposed to be a 500uF, 16 volt. I

am
using a 470uF 35 volt. It gets really hot!! Short somewhere?!?!?!

Electrolytic capacitors are polarized. Probably you reversed the cap and
smoked it.

The VFO is REALLY simple, it has one transistor and about 7 other parts. I
can't seem to see what is wrong, and I have tried.

I would sure appreciate some Elmer'ing here!
ANY help would be much appreciated. I have the above mentioned tools at my
command, a multimeter, and an old Heathkit "scope. (which I really don't
know how to use.

Start by looking at the voltage at the electrolytic cap, and see if you in
fact have voltage or not.

Any chance?
Thanks in advance,
Tom
KCØGXX

Old July 10th 03, 05:25 PM
John R. Strohm

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"TC Dufresne" wrote in message
Hi:
I am having a problem with a "Simple Receiver for Beginners". It is from

design that was featured in an old (1981) ARRL handbook. It is a DC
receiver, looks like alot of fun, but it isn't fun now.
Here is the problem.

1) No oscillation! I can't find it (the VFO) on my DX-398 receiver at

all,
or on my Radio Shack freq counter.
2) The power (+ side) electrolytic is supposed to be a 500uF, 16 volt. I

am
using a 470uF 35 volt. It gets really hot!! Short somewhere?!?!?!

Are you using a tantalum capacitor? If they are inserted with the wrong
polarity they will get really hot ... sometime will actually burn.

More likely explode, sending HARD ceramic fragments in ALL directions at
HIGH velocity.

Old July 10th 03, 05:27 PM
Active8

In article , says...
"TC Dufresne" wrote in
:

[...]

Gotta be a short somewhere. Filter caps ain't supposed to get hot, and
yours is over rated to begin with.

and when you run an electrolytic at a different WVDC than it's rated at,
you can't be sure the capacitance is the same as marked on the can. but
it should still filter and not get hot. you'd think something else would
heat up if there was a short. should draw excessive current. unless it
blew something and is now an open, then the cap shouldn't get hot any
more.