RadioBanter

-   -   help with homebrew receiver! (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/20754-help-homebrew-receiver.html)

Clifton T. Sharp Jr. July 12th 03 08:03 PM

TC Dufresne wrote:
Good news..Cool! Now I have a good VFO in my receiver, I can hear it in my
trusty DX-398. I adjust the RF coil so its low end (with maximum capacitance
on my Hammerland 1-10pF variable capacitor-fully meshed) is around 7.00mHz.
When I go to minimum capacitance (no meshed), I hear it only around
7.060mHz. According to specs, I should get a range from 7.00 to 7.2mHz.

You've probably got more parasitic capacitance in the circuit than that
10 pF represents. That means your capacitance range is more like 41-50
pF (figure picked out of the air) than 1-10 pF. Did the article suggest
any special construction techniques to minimize this?

--
The function of an asshole is to emit quantities of crap. Spammers do
a very good job of that. However, I do object to my inbox being a

Active8 July 13th 03 02:27 AM

In article ,
says...
The only time I have seen caps get hot is when they are in backwards. If
there is too much ripple voltage, the cap can get warm. I would double
check the wiring. I am not sure what method you used to make the VFO, so
everything is up in the air.

please reply to the person you are answering. it makes the discussion
easier to follow.

mike