RadioBanter

-   -   help with homebrew receiver! (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/20754-help-homebrew-receiver.html)

TC Dufresne July 10th 03 04:47 AM

help with homebrew receiver!

Hi:
I am having a problem with a "Simple Receiver for Beginners". It is from a
design that was featured in an old (1981) ARRL handbook. It is a DC
receiver, looks like alot of fun, but it isn't fun now.
Here is the problem.

1) No oscillation! I can't find it (the VFO) on my DX-398 receiver at all,
or on my Radio Shack freq counter.
2) The power (+ side) electrolytic is supposed to be a 500uF, 16 volt. I am
using a 470uF 35 volt. It gets really hot!! Short somewhere?!?!?!

The VFO is REALLY simple, it has one transistor and about 7 other parts. I
can't seem to see what is wrong, and I have tried.

I would sure appreciate some Elmer'ing here!
ANY help would be much appreciated. I have the above mentioned tools at my
command, a multimeter, and an old Heathkit "scope. (which I really don't
know how to use.

Any chance?
Thanks in advance,
Tom
KCØGXX

donut July 10th 03 06:23 AM

"TC Dufresne" wrote in
:

[...]

Gotta be a short somewhere. Filter caps ain't supposed to get hot, and
yours is over rated to begin with.

Roger Leone July 10th 03 07:39 AM

Tom:

The hot cap has two likely possibilities: either the cap is shorted
internally (an ohmeter check will show leakage) or you have bad diode(s) so
AC is being applied to the cap. An ohmeter will show the diodes as bad.

Of course a wiring error could also be involved, but I am assuming you have
double checked that.

If the cap is running hot you probably don't have the correct voltage for
the VFO, and correcting it may solve the other VFO problem.

Roger K6XQ

Leon Heller July 10th 03 01:30 PM

"TC Dufresne" wrote in message
[...]

It's a good idea to build things in stages, testing each stage as you go.

Try disconnecting everything from the power supply and sort that out first.
The capacitor shouldn't get hot.

73, Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

EdT July 10th 03 03:29 PM

Try contacting ARRL for corrections to the article. I built a DC rcvr from
about that time frame and it did not work. The ARRL sent corrections to the
schematic and there were a lot!!

EdT July 10th 03 03:29 PM

John R. Strohm July 10th 03 05:23 PM

"TC Dufresne" wrote in message
Hi:
I am having a problem with a "Simple Receiver for Beginners". It is from a
design that was featured in an old (1981) ARRL handbook. It is a DC
receiver, looks like alot of fun, but it isn't fun now.
Here is the problem.

1) No oscillation! I can't find it (the VFO) on my DX-398 receiver at

all,
or on my Radio Shack freq counter.
2) The power (+ side) electrolytic is supposed to be a 500uF, 16 volt. I

am
using a 470uF 35 volt. It gets really hot!! Short somewhere?!?!?!

Electrolytic capacitors are polarized. Probably you reversed the cap and
smoked it.

The VFO is REALLY simple, it has one transistor and about 7 other parts. I
can't seem to see what is wrong, and I have tried.

I would sure appreciate some Elmer'ing here!
ANY help would be much appreciated. I have the above mentioned tools at my
command, a multimeter, and an old Heathkit "scope. (which I really don't
know how to use.

Start by looking at the voltage at the electrolytic cap, and see if you in
fact have voltage or not.

Any chance?
Thanks in advance,
Tom
KCØGXX

John R. Strohm July 10th 03 05:25 PM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"TC Dufresne" wrote in message
Hi:
I am having a problem with a "Simple Receiver for Beginners". It is from

design that was featured in an old (1981) ARRL handbook. It is a DC
receiver, looks like alot of fun, but it isn't fun now.
Here is the problem.

1) No oscillation! I can't find it (the VFO) on my DX-398 receiver at

all,
or on my Radio Shack freq counter.
2) The power (+ side) electrolytic is supposed to be a 500uF, 16 volt. I

am
using a 470uF 35 volt. It gets really hot!! Short somewhere?!?!?!

Are you using a tantalum capacitor? If they are inserted with the wrong
polarity they will get really hot ... sometime will actually burn.

More likely explode, sending HARD ceramic fragments in ALL directions at
HIGH velocity.

Active8 July 10th 03 05:27 PM

In article , says...
"TC Dufresne" wrote in
:

[...]

and when you run an electrolytic at a different WVDC than it's rated at,
you can't be sure the capacitance is the same as marked on the can. but
it should still filter and not get hot. you'd think something else would
heat up if there was a short. should draw excessive current. unless it
blew something and is now an open, then the cap shouldn't get hot any
more.

Active8 July 10th 03 05:28 PM

In article ,
says...

Tom:

The hot cap has two likely possibilities: either the cap is shorted
internally (an ohmeter check will show leakage) or you have bad diode(s) so
AC is being applied to the cap. An ohmeter will show the diodes as bad.

a backward diode will supply AC to the cap, also

Active8 July 10th 03 05:31 PM

In article ,
says...
Try contacting ARRL for corrections to the article. I built a DC rcvr from
about that time frame and it did not work. The ARRL sent corrections to the
schematic and there were a lot!!

good idea. he (OP) said 500uF cap. never heard of one. some article!

the disconnect the load and shoot the supply idea is also good. then
check the load (circuit for shorts b4 reconnecting the supply.

Doug Smith W9WI July 10th 03 05:40 PM

Active8 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Tom:

The hot cap has two likely possibilities: either the cap is shorted
internally (an ohmeter check will show leakage) or you have bad diode(s) so
AC is being applied to the cap. An ohmeter will show the diodes as bad.

a backward diode will supply AC to the cap, also

No, it won't.

It will however supply the wrong polarity of DC, which could indeed
cause these symptoms.

I would think some other semiconductors might be running rather hot too
if that were the case.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Active8 July 10th 03 07:28 PM

In article , lid
says...
Active8 wrote:
In article ,

says...

Tom:

The hot cap has two likely possibilities: either the cap is shorted
internally (an ohmeter check will show leakage) or you have bad diode(s) so
AC is being applied to the cap. An ohmeter will show the diodes as bad.

a backward diode will supply AC to the cap, also

No, it won't.

oops. right. 1 diode backwards in a full wave (not a bridge) rectifier
would short the xfrmr.

Roy Lewallen July 10th 03 08:56 PM

If you're using a diode bridge like most people do these days, and the
diode bridge output terminals (+ and -) are reversed, the filter
capacitor would get hot and the receiver wouldn't work.

As others have pointed out, an electrolytic capacitor with reverse
voltage applied can catch fire or explode. Be careful when
troubleshooting while the capacitor is unhappy. When you do find the
problem, it would be a good idea to replace the capacitor.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Active8 wrote:
In article , lid
says...

Roy Lewallen July 10th 03 08:56 PM

If you're using a diode bridge like most people do these days, and the
diode bridge output terminals (+ and -) are reversed, the filter
capacitor would get hot and the receiver wouldn't work.

As others have pointed out, an electrolytic capacitor with reverse
voltage applied can catch fire or explode. Be careful when
troubleshooting while the capacitor is unhappy. When you do find the
problem, it would be a good idea to replace the capacitor.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Active8 wrote:
In article , lid
says...

Active8 July 10th 03 09:40 PM

In article , says...
If you're using a diode bridge like most people do these days, and the
diode bridge output terminals (+ and -) are reversed, the filter
capacitor would get hot and the receiver wouldn't work.

As others have pointed out, an electrolytic capacitor with reverse
voltage applied can catch fire or explode. Be careful when
troubleshooting while the capacitor is unhappy. When you do find the
problem, it would be a good idea to replace the capacitor.

i've had a couple explode, usually from overvoltage from a shorted
series pass reg, i think. nice thing about (some? most?) electrolytics
is that X that's scored into the top so it blows straight up. i'm glad
my face wasn't over top of it, though. even with safety glasses, it's
not something i'd like to experience.

mike c

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Active8 wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...

Active8 July 10th 03 09:40 PM

In article , says...
If you're using a diode bridge like most people do these days, and the
diode bridge output terminals (+ and -) are reversed, the filter
capacitor would get hot and the receiver wouldn't work.

As others have pointed out, an electrolytic capacitor with reverse
voltage applied can catch fire or explode. Be careful when
troubleshooting while the capacitor is unhappy. When you do find the
problem, it would be a good idea to replace the capacitor.

i've had a couple explode, usually from overvoltage from a shorted
series pass reg, i think. nice thing about (some? most?) electrolytics
is that X that's scored into the top so it blows straight up. i'm glad
my face wasn't over top of it, though. even with safety glasses, it's
not something i'd like to experience.

mike c

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Active8 wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...

TC Dufresne July 11th 03 04:20 AM

Everyone:
Thank you all for some great ideas! I will have more time tomorrow and see
if I can make 'er go.
This thing looks sooo easy, maybe that is why I am so frustrated with it!!
I DO have schematics at my work, if anyone wants I could post tomorrow
night......if it would help.
best wishes
Tom

Dick Carroll July 12th 03 12:33 AM

TC Dufresne wrote:

[...]

If you happened to insert the diodes in the fullwave rectifier reversed, you
will have negative voltage at the input of your filter instead of positive
voltage, and the input filter cap will conduct, and get hot (in a fullwave
rectifier supply). If that happens you hope the filter cap DID short the supply
to ground instead of passing the reverse polarized voltage on to other solid
state devices! In time this will be rough on your transformer, too.

You might want to recheck all the polarities of the diodes.

Dick

Pete KE9OA July 12th 03 03:25 AM

The only time I have seen caps get hot is when they are in backwards. If
there is too much ripple voltage, the cap can get warm. I would double
check the wiring. I am not sure what method you used to make the VFO, so
everything is up in the air.

Pete

Active8 wrote in message
In article , says...
"TC Dufresne" wrote in
:

Pete KE9OA July 12th 03 03:25 AM

The only time I have seen caps get hot is when they are in backwards. If
there is too much ripple voltage, the cap can get warm. I would double
check the wiring. I am not sure what method you used to make the VFO, so
everything is up in the air.

Pete

Active8 wrote in message
In article , says...
"TC Dufresne" wrote in
:

TC Dufresne July 12th 03 05:53 AM

Everyone. I fixed the VFO. Its a good news/bad news thing.

Apparently my MPF102, the heart of the VFO, was either shorted out or not
working. I removed it and replaced it with another.

Good news..Cool! Now I have a good VFO in my receiver, I can hear it in my
trusty DX-398. I adjust the RF coil so its low end (with maximum capacitance
on my Hammerland 1-10pF variable capacitor-fully meshed) is around 7.00mHz.
When I go to minimum capacitance (no meshed), I hear it only around
7.060mHz. According to specs, I should get a range from 7.00 to 7.2mHz.

Why do I not get more range? As far as I know, all caps are up to spec as
called for.
Do I need to add/subtract capacitance somewhere?
Thanks again,
Tom

Leon Heller July 12th 03 04:36 PM

"TC Dufresne" wrote in message
Everyone. I fixed the VFO. Its a good news/bad news thing.

Apparently my MPF102, the heart of the VFO, was either shorted out or not
working. I removed it and replaced it with another.

Good news..Cool! Now I have a good VFO in my receiver, I can hear it in my
trusty DX-398. I adjust the RF coil so its low end (with maximum

capacitance
on my Hammerland 1-10pF variable capacitor-fully meshed) is around

7.00mHz.
When I go to minimum capacitance (no meshed), I hear it only around
7.060mHz. According to specs, I should get a range from 7.00 to 7.2mHz.

Why do I not get more range? As far as I know, all caps are up to spec as
called for.
Do I need to add/subtract capacitance somewhere?

Tolerances.

Try removing a turn from the coil (if it is one you wound) and/or adding
some capacitance.

Leon

John R. Strohm July 12th 03 07:45 PM

"TC Dufresne" wrote in message
Everyone. I fixed the VFO. Its a good news/bad news thing.

Apparently my MPF102, the heart of the VFO, was either shorted out or not
working. I removed it and replaced it with another.

Good news..Cool! Now I have a good VFO in my receiver, I can hear it in my
trusty DX-398. I adjust the RF coil so its low end (with maximum

capacitance
on my Hammerland 1-10pF variable capacitor-fully meshed) is around

7.00mHz.
When I go to minimum capacitance (no meshed), I hear it only around
7.060mHz. According to specs, I should get a range from 7.00 to 7.2mHz.

Why do I not get more range? As far as I know, all caps are up to spec as
called for.
Do I need to add/subtract capacitance somewhere?

How much did you allow for stray circuit capacitance?

Clifton T. Sharp Jr. July 12th 03 08:03 PM

TC Dufresne wrote:
Good news..Cool! Now I have a good VFO in my receiver, I can hear it in my
trusty DX-398. I adjust the RF coil so its low end (with maximum capacitance
on my Hammerland 1-10pF variable capacitor-fully meshed) is around 7.00mHz.
When I go to minimum capacitance (no meshed), I hear it only around
7.060mHz. According to specs, I should get a range from 7.00 to 7.2mHz.

You've probably got more parasitic capacitance in the circuit than that
10 pF represents. That means your capacitance range is more like 41-50
pF (figure picked out of the air) than 1-10 pF. Did the article suggest
any special construction techniques to minimize this?

--
The function of an asshole is to emit quantities of crap. Spammers do
a very good job of that. However, I do object to my inbox being a