Old August 2nd 03, 05:28 AM
Active8

Default Newbie questions about rf transceivers

In article , snef73
@hotmail.com says...
Hi, I am looking for advice on how to integrate a PIC microchip with a
ham radio transciever. I will use this in a robot. I am looking for
100 - 300 mile range. I have a ham radio license.

aw hell.

i hope you're the AH i figure you for. if not, and this is just innocent
ignorance (is that possible?) don't take this too hard. just listen.

!-- if you are an AH... --
script language="AH_Blaster"
flame level=150%"

stop bs'ing.

1. if you have a license, you should know that you can only control
cars, boats, and aircraft at 1 watt which hopefully keeps the model
within eyesight.

i don't know what's legal for bot's, but AFAIK the max power will be .75
- 1 watt.

2. are you stupid? if you transmit that far or even just out of
eyesight, you'll

a) mung any legit R/C craft affected by your signal.
b) probably hurt someone with your POS robot.
c) cause a legit craft to hurt someone.
d) interfere with anyone communicating.

Thanks for the help

here's your help:

buy the most expensive books you can get until you're broke and can't
afford dangerous toys. go into debt to keep you out of trouble in the
future.

buy a cheap pic and glue it to a radio with no power cord or battery.
now it's "integrated."

/flame
/script

noscript
read a pic data sheet. PIC12F84A is pretty basic. get the software to go
with 'em.

figure out what you mean, next.

then ask more specific questions.
/noscript

Old August 2nd 03, 08:32 AM
Active8

boy, i must have had a bad day.
Old August 2nd 03, 08:32 AM
Active8

boy, i must have had a bad day.
Old August 2nd 03, 09:46 AM
onestone

Must have been a real stinker ;@}.

Obviously only conventional R/C stuff is power limited in the way you
describe.

The op stated Ham radio gear,from which I assume SW, and not subject to
the same limitations power wise. However first problems he needs to
solve are probably getting a high enough data rate to know what the
robot is doing. Video is doable, but pretty hard over SW, I don't know
what bandwidths Hams are allowed. Integrating to any micro is simply a
case of converting data into a format that the micro can understand, ie
NRZ serial, or pulse length coded. I would start by looking at something
like the FX929 from CML. it handles the micro to radio interface, and
includes FEC etc, it is designed for short packets. failing that packet
radio, which, as a Ham you should probably knwo more about than I do, is
designed explicitly for data comms like this. You can then choose to
implement your own direct control scheme of the robot, ie PWM motor
controol or what have you, or read up on R/C servos. these are pretty
simple, IIRC 20ms between pulse, and pulse of from 1-2ms to set the
'position' of the servo. Use the micro to convert complex instructions
into servo control signals.

Al

Active8 wrote:

boy, i must have had a bad day.

Old August 2nd 03, 09:46 AM
onestone

[...]

Active8 wrote:

boy, i must have had a bad day.

Old August 2nd 03, 11:11 AM
Paul Burridge

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 08:46:28 GMT, onestone
wrote:

Must have been a real stinker ;@}.

Indeed. I must admit to being very curious as to what the application
is, though!
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Old August 2nd 03, 11:57 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Allan York" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I am looking for advice on how to integrate a PIC microchip with a
ham radio transciever. I will use this in a robot. I am looking for
100 - 300 mile range. I have a ham radio license.

Thanks for the help

Better pick up a copy of the FCC rule book and read it thoroughly before
embarking on this project to insure that it is legal.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE