Old February 13th 04, 04:12 PM
cme

Default Newbie, UHF antenna for TV questions

I've read all the ham sites and I was hoping someone could enlight me. Some
of the questions may seem dumb, but i figure there is no dumb question
unless you dont ask it.
I'm making a yagi antenna for channel 57,
I'm thinking of using 14 copper wire for dipole element and the 14 gage wire
for reflector and director elements, just ot see if I can get it to work
better. actually thinking of use the channel 69 to make the antenna to cut
the peices of antenna.
Will I be able to pull 57 easier. Presently have a 4 elemnet bowtie Delhi
uhf antenna. want to play with a yagi before buying one, to see if it works
better, with out dropping the cash. would stacking another one on top of
the 4 bowtie on top of the present one give me anymore gain???? theres no
refector on mine. I'm half way in between 2 areas buffalo and toronto
transmission towers.
Not being a ham I know you have to tune the antenna for impediance I guess.
Can I use a 300 to 75 ohm transformer or how would I find the impediance of
the antenna If I made it from 14 gage house wire.
What if I use 300 twin antenna wire for the active element and 14 gage wire
for the refectors and directors?

Are the reflectors and directors NOT connected to the active element.

I would appreciate any good sites on building your own TV antenna or any
info. in this area.
talked to alot of antenna tv shops and I get no help, so I decided to trry
and build a experimntal unit before droping the cash on another uhf antenna.

Old February 14th 04, 03:24 AM
David G. Nagel

You should know that stock all channel tv antennas are cut on a "V" or
hyperbolic shape. Each element is electrically connected to each other.
This shape simulates a solid plate antenna cut into two triangular
pieces and is not a very efficient antenna. If you make a dipole antenna
cut to channel 57 you should increase you receive signal. If you make a
yagi antennas cut to ch 57 you will increase your signal in accordance
with the design of your antenna. Remember all yagi antennas fabricated
to the same specifications no matter the frequency will exhibit the same
gain, more or less.

Dave Nagel WD9BDZ

Old February 14th 04, 06:17 AM
Ivan Makarov

Download and learn a freeware antenna simulator called MMANA
http://www.qsl.net/mmhamsoft/mmana/
This is the best way to play with antennas without spending a penny.
It will answer all questions you asked.
--

Regards,
Ivan

Old February 14th 04, 09:37 AM
cme

thanks for the help.
just one more question.
your refector and director elements are or are not connected to the element
which the coax cable is connected to. I assume they are not, from all my
reading.
news

Old February 14th 04, 02:18 PM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:12:42 -0500, "cme" wrote:

Presently have a 4 elemnet bowtie Delhi
uhf antenna. want to play with a yagi before buying one, to see if it works
better, with out dropping the cash. would stacking another one on top of
the 4 bowtie on top of the present one give me anymore gain???? theres no
refector on mine. I'm half way in between 2 areas buffalo and toronto
transmission towers.

Hi OM,

It sounds like you have already gotten the most gain you could for as
cheap as it comes. The second investment is unlikely to bring any
huge gain. That is, if your signals are marginal, then two antennas
adding together will barely offer a crystal clear signal. Also, a
more complex one is unlikely too unless it is a single channel cut
antenna (your bowtie is not likely to fit that description).

However, there is a "hail mary" option. Put an antenna amplifier at
the antenna (not at the end of the cable where it plugs into the TV).
Make sure it can be powered over the line and is for UHF application
AT THE ANTENNA. This may not be cheap (browse the net for pricing),
but it will be effective, and it may be necessary even with an
investment in a new antenna. Do not substitute with a cable TV
amplifier, it will only brighten up the snow. (You can try of course
if you have a buddy willing to let you 'xperiment.)

Being between two signals suggests you should also invest in a rotator
- or skip the notion of being between.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old February 15th 04, 12:23 AM
Mikey

As an experiment, if you're looking for something for both channels 57 and
69, cut your yagi for the frequency right between them, and it should cover
both. #14 wire is relatively flimsy - are you using this indoors? If not,
you will want to tape it down to a frame of some type (wood, pvc, etc.).

Also, bear in mind that a yagi is a directional array; you'll have to point
it at the transmitter you're trying to see. Ultimately, your 3-el guinea
pig antenna will outperform the bowties, especially since they have no
reflector. In the long run, you will probably be very happy with a
commercial UHF yagi...

Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., Ca

"cme" wrote

Old February 15th 04, 01:46 PM
Ralph Mowery

"Mikey" wrote in message
As an experiment, if you're looking for something for both channels 57 and
69, cut your yagi for the frequency right between them, and it should

cover
both. #14 wire is relatively flimsy - are you using this indoors? If

not,
you will want to tape it down to a frame of some type (wood, pvc, etc.).

Simple yagi antennas are relative narrow band antennas. They are not too
effective for that broad of a frequency range. Also for many they are more
like a low pass filter in that at frequencies below the designed one the
pattern is not too bad but going above the designed frequency the pattern
falls apart very rapidly. If anything design the antenna for the highest
frequency used.

Old February 18th 04, 07:03 PM

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"Mikey" wrote in message
As an experiment, if you're looking for something for both channels 57 and
69, cut your yagi for the frequency right between them, and it should

cover
both. #14 wire is relatively flimsy - are you using this indoors? If

not,
you will want to tape it down to a frame of some type (wood, pvc, etc.).

Simple yagi antennas are relative narrow band antennas. They are not too
effective for that broad of a frequency range. Also for many they are more
like a low pass filter in that at frequencies below the designed one the
pattern is not too bad but going above the designed frequency the pattern
falls apart very rapidly. If anything design the antenna for the highest
frequency used.

This is not going to work. Yagi's are narrow band to begin with, lucky
if you can get 6 mhz bandwidth. Using thin #14 wire makes it impossible.

If you want to build this antenna, make it out of 1/2" copper water
pipe. Cut the reflector to channel 69; the directors and dipole to
channel 58.

Putting a low noise amplifier at the antenna is a good idea. But good
ones cost.

I missed the setup to your question, are both channels in the same
direction?
Old February 19th 04, 09:40 AM
cme

I"m half way between two transmission zones. So I wanted to build an antenna
to see if its worth upgrading beyond a Delhi bowtie without a reflector. I
have Buffalo 30 miles away and Toronto about the same in the opposite
direction north/south. Dont want to go to a rotor.

I bought a radio shack antenna preamp, 15-1109 to see if it will do
anything, waiting for the weather to improve to try it. Its not the best ,
but at least it will tell me something, before dropping a bigger buck.
thinking of a yagi or something more directtional or omi directional. I
need ideas.
so does anyone have a drawing where I can build an antenna where all the
elements are attached, I thought the dipole was the only one attached and
the directors were inactive?
I want to experiment before dropping the buck.
So I'm shooting for channel 57 which is north, but the rest of the channels
are in the 20s south out of Buffalo coming in crystal clear. This Delhi
boxtie is attached acouple inches from the vhf antenna, this is how who
installed put it..

I thought they were suppose to be attached like 3 apart.???
I have many questions?

Old February 19th 04, 05:47 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:40:35 -0500, "cme" wrote:

I"m half way between two transmission zones. So I wanted to build an antenna
to see if its worth upgrading beyond a Delhi bowtie without a reflector. I
have Buffalo 30 miles away and Toronto about the same in the opposite
direction north/south. Dont want to go to a rotor.

Remove the reflector (if not already gone).

I bought a radio shack antenna preamp, 15-1109 to see if it will do
anything, waiting for the weather to improve to try it. Its not the best ,
but at least it will tell me something, before dropping a bigger buck.

It offers more gain than you will ever obtain from a new antenna. In
fact it may have too much gain. This will be discovered with TV
channels "blacking out" when you overdrive the set's AGC. As the gain
is adjustable, be prepared to experiment here.

thinking of a yagi or something more directtional or omi directional. I
need ideas.

Indeed. Omni-directional brings nothing new to the table and you
stand to lose through increased ghosts. Something more directional
without a rotator condemns you to select Toronto OR Buffalo. What you
have is a paradox: your goal conflicts with a newer resolution.

I want to experiment before dropping the buck.

You spent as much as you need to. 30 miles is actually very close,
and the only further investment is moving what you already have
straight up.

So I'm shooting for channel 57 which is north, but the rest of the channels
are in the 20s south out of Buffalo coming in crystal clear. This Delhi
boxtie is attached acouple inches from the vhf antenna, this is how who
installed put it..

I thought they were suppose to be attached like 3 apart.???

3 what? Inches? Maybe OK if it part of the same antenna. 3 feet is
OK even more so.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC