RadioBanter

-   -   Anyone ever had a fatal electric shock? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/20942-anyone-ever-had-fatal-electric-shock.html)

Ian White, G3SEK August 11th 03 01:31 PM

Paul Burridge wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:09:28 +0100, "Mike Gilmour"
wrote:

When I worked as an RO in the Merchant Navy I found I could light my
cigarette by holding on to the overhead copper aerial feeder while
simultaneously keying the transmitter on MW (say 480 or 512 Khz) ....only
when I couldn't find my lighter. Kinda daft in retrospect...and chuckle to
think I eventually won a safety award ;-)

There's a future for you at Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. :-)

As Homer would insist: "Get it right - it's noocular, noocular."

It's always worried me, the way The Nuclear Briefcase gets handed to
people who can't even pronounce it.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Gary S. August 11th 03 02:27 PM

On 10 Aug 2003 19:51:26 GMT, (Avery Fineman)
wrote:

Back when I was doing electronic instrumentation with an optics group
at Rockwell, my first day in that group brought forth a caution from one
of the optical physicists about lasers: "Do NOT look INTO a laser beam
unless you want that to be the LAST thing you see."

One I've seen:

"Do not look into Laser beam with remaining eye."

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Mike Andrews August 11th 03 08:42 PM

An acquaintance was working on some plumbing Saturday in one of
several houses under construction in a new subdivision in Albuquerque
(New Mexico), and there was a lightning strike into another of the
houses, a few hundred feet away. He told me he got knocked flat and so
did his helper.

Albq is, as many will know, in high desert country, and the ground
is *anything* but wet, so buried pipes aren't particularly useful as
earth ground. This is a pretty good illustration of that.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin since 1964

Mike Andrews August 11th 03 08:44 PM

Lee Leduc wrote:
Sorry for the slow response but the Internet connection to the "other
side" is soooooooo slow!

Yes, I have had a a fatal electric shock in the past.

Yours truly,

William Kemmler

*SPLORFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF*

Now *where*, I ask you, _WHERE_ was the C&C on that?

Paul Burridge August 11th 03 10:57 PM

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:00:12 +0000 (UTC), (Mike
Andrews) wrote:

Avery Fineman wrote:

Back when I was doing electronic instrumentation with an optics group
at Rockwell, my first day in that group brought forth a caution from one
of the optical physicists about lasers: "Do NOT look INTO a laser beam
unless you want that to be the LAST thing you see."

The sign I saw in the crystallography lab at ou.edu was very simple:

Caution: Do not look into laser beam with remaining eye.

Judging from all this repetition, a remarkably ubiquitous sign!
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Rex August 12th 03 02:05 AM

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:31:14 +0100, "Ian White, G3SEK"
wrote:

As Homer would insist: "Get it right - it's noocular, noocular."

Is that where George W learned the pronunciation?