RadioBanter

-   -   Anyone ever had a fatal electric shock? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/20942-anyone-ever-had-fatal-electric-shock.html)

Michael Black August 8th 03 03:14 PM

"Ian Buckner" ) writes:
"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:05:50 -0700, "RP Henry" richard.p.henry@saic

dot
com wrote:

"Michael Black" wrote in message
Winfield Hill ) writes:
Paul Burridge wrote...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has

anyone
ever had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have

survived?

I've had a few fatal shocks.

Thanks,
- Win

You sound in especially good shape for someone who's suffered

multiple
fatal shocks.

That explains the hair.

He is a cat.

--

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs http://www3.sympatico.ca/borism/
Aurora, Ontario

Win just haunts this newsgroup.

Regards
Ian

;-)

So you're saying he's sort of an Obi-Wan Kenobi type? "Use
the grounding strap Luke".

Michael

Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' August 8th 03 03:26 PM

In article ,
mentioned...
Paul Burridge wrote:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:33:24 GMT, "Harris"
wrote:

Several people have and of course they are all dead.

Well I don't believe the answer's that simple. I'll explain in due

Yes it is. 'Fatal' doesn't have any slack in its definition. You could modify it
by adding 'near' as a prefix.

I agree. He said one thing, but meant another. Snot what you think!

Answer this question:

Q: Twenty years ago, a plane is flying at 20,000 feet over Germany. If
you will recall, Germany at the time was politically divided into West
Germany and East Germany. Anyway, during the flight, TWO of the
engines fail. The pilot, realizing that the last remaining engine is
also failing, decides on a crash landing. Unfortunately, the engine
fails before he has time and the plane crashes smack in the middle of
"no-man's-land" between East Germany and West Germany. Where would you
bury the survivors - East Germany or West Germany or in "no-man's-
land?"

DOH!

For the answer, and other similar Qs, see
http://dailyfunnies.org/archives/000637.html

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@

Ralph Naylor August 8th 03 03:42 PM

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

Yep, made me a believer in GFCIs, which weren't around when this happened.
My folks had just gotten a new hedge clipper, and their idiot son decided to
have at a shrub one morning. Plugged it in, walked out barefoot on the
still-damp grass. Began sculpting and promptly cut through the extension
cord, which jammed in the blades. My muscles locked up and I couldn't drop
it. After a few seconds of this I fell over, making even better contact
with the ground. I finally managed to grab the plastic side handle with my
other hand and pull it free. Whew.... Every part of my body hurt, I went
back to bed for the rest of the day.

Then there's the incident with the soldering iron and the ten automotive
batteries in series, but I didn't get a jolt from that ;-)

Regards,
Ralph in NH

Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' August 8th 03 03:45 PM

In article ,
mentioned...

wrote:

Several people have and of course they are all dead.

Well I don't believe the answer's that simple. I'll explain in due

Yes it is. 'Fatal' doesn't have any slack in its definition. You could

modify it
by adding 'near' as a prefix.

course, but would like to give a few others a chance to guess what I'm
driving at (this isn't some sort of joke BTW).
--

but you can be clinicaly death and restarted can't you? so does fatal imply
permenent death or can it be temporary?

Fatal is fatal. You're brain dead, which is the definition of death.
If you have a near-death experience, then that's when you can live to
tell about it.

"He's dead, Jim."

Tom Sevart August 8th 03 03:48 PM

"Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'" wrote in message
.. .

Q: Twenty years ago, a plane is flying at 20,000 feet over Germany. If
you will recall, Germany at the time was politically divided into West
Germany and East Germany. Anyway, during the flight, TWO of the
engines fail. The pilot, realizing that the last remaining engine is
also failing, decides on a crash landing. Unfortunately, the engine
fails before he has time and the plane crashes smack in the middle of
"no-man's-land" between East Germany and West Germany. Where would you
bury the survivors - East Germany or West Germany or in "no-man's-
land?"

Actually, he shouldn't have been flying so close to the border. There was a
buffer zone between East & West Germany at the time and pilots were aware of
it. I think it was around 10 or 20 miles or so.

And I think burying survivors would be a violation of their rights.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc

Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' August 8th 03 03:49 PM

In article ,
mentioned...
In sci.electronics.design Harris wrote:
Several people have and of course they are all dead.

Well, you can have shocks that would cause death if left untreated.
As some people get treated, they get to experience it all, apart from
actually getting planted.

That's near-death. There _is_ a difference.