Old August 15th 03, 07:26 AM
Harry \(SM0VPO\)

Default Prescaler? Suggestions anyone?

Hi all,
I am having a spot of bother with prescaler chips. Basically I need to find
one at the right price and availability. US$5 each is reasonable, but where
from? Is there one available that is not obsolete?

I live in Sweden and my local component shop is ELFA (Swedens answer to RS).
They don't sell ANY digital divider that operates above 50MHz, except for
the 74F163 and I cannot come up with a reliable interface circuit to couple
an oscillator into it at over 100MHz.

I found the MB501 (MC12022, SP8704) but it is obsolete and cannot find a
reliable source. I bought a couple, but that source dried up. All I need is
a divider chip that will accept a small signal up to 150MHz, is available,
cheap(ish) and will divide down to under 10MHz so that I can use CMOS to
process a synthesiser. A parallel-load synthesiser chip with in-built 150MHz
prescaler would do.

I have used "Teleport" to download over 50,000 pdf datasheets without any
luck. I have gone through most of them, but it takes a fair bit of time. If
anyone has a helpful suggestion I would appreciate it.

BR from Harry - SM0VPO

http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85920178/
harryvpo (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old August 15th 03, 10:36 AM
Joe McElvenney

Hi,

Mouser have some NEC pre-scalers (3GHz max) for $2.92 a throw.

Cheers - Joe

Old August 15th 03, 10:36 AM
Joe McElvenney

Old August 15th 03, 10:58 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Harry \(SM0VPO\)"
wrote:

[...]

Man, if THIS ain't a trip -- a well-known, over-rated internet homebrew tech
asking for help for a simple prescaler. Hey Harry, don't you know that the basic
freshman-lab-grade Class B or C amplifier is nothing more than a divide-by-2
counter? If you have a bunch of 2N2222's, 2N2907's, or any transistor with an Ft
above your high-freq limit, you have a divide-by-(n x 2) counter. Any advanced
homebrewer should know that stuff cause it's basic theory.

And for you to post such a question in alt.radio.pirate.... that's pretty
pathetic, Harry.

Old August 15th 03, 01:50 PM
Michael Black

"Harry \(SM0VPO\)" wrote in message . ..
[...]

If you can live with a larger and binary division, there would be
a prescaler that likely does work to that frequency limit in any
digitally tuned FM broadcast radio. I have not looked up the
upper frequency limit on these, but of course their needed range
isn't much lower than your upper limit. I don't have a specific
part number, I'm not even sure how much variety of ICs are used
in these applications, but just about any scrap digitally tuned
radio would offer up something. And if you need to find something
commonly available but not rely on scrounging, then open one
up and find the NTE replacement for the prescaler.

Michael VE2BVW

Old August 15th 03, 05:27 PM
Leon Heller

"Harry (SM0VPO)" wrote in message
Hi all,
I am having a spot of bother with prescaler chips. Basically I need to

find
one at the right price and availability. US$5 each is reasonable, but

where
from? Is there one available that is not obsolete?

I live in Sweden and my local component shop is ELFA (Swedens answer to

RS).
They don't sell ANY digital divider that operates above 50MHz, except for
the 74F163 and I cannot come up with a reliable interface circuit to

couple
an oscillator into it at over 100MHz.

I'd be inclined to use a CPLD. The Xilinx XC9536 would be good to over 150
MHz and a suitable synchronous counter is quite trivial.

73, Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Old August 15th 03, 06:48 PM
John

"Joe McElvenney" wrote in message
Hi,

Mouser have some NEC pre-scalers (3GHz max) for $2.92 a throw.

Any idea of the NEC part number ?

Thanks