Old September 18th 03, 04:21 PM
Howard

Default New Ten-Tec antenna

Hello to all,

I have looked with interest at the new Ten-Tec Vee Beam Terminated
antenna. Is there a guru on the list who has the knowlege to share on
how to duplicate this antenna?

It is a vee beam with each leg terminated to ground with a resistor,
and there is a balun of sorts at the input.

I remember an antenna similar to this years ago, and I think ten-tec
will have a winner with this if folks can get away from the supposed
"horror" of a terminated antenna.

Details at www.tentec.com

I wish I could afford it at this time!!

Regards, Howard

Details at www.tentec.com

It's just a half-rhombic, but must suffer seriously from the poor grounding
that the ground rods provide. That will both reduce the front-to-back ratio
and make the input impedance vary (much) more with frequency.

A real unidirectional rhombic has the single terminating resistor directly
between the two sides, and needs no ground.

Does this terminated V have about the same gain as a rhombic the same
length? I suspect so. The rhombic would require four tall supports - a
clear disadvantage.

Rhombics were used at VHF years ago. The 1950s NBS (now NOAA) Cedar Rapids
(IA) to Sterling (VA) and Longbranch (IL) to Boulder (CO) scatter links on
49.8 MHz (or nearby) used 600 foot long rhombics. Really strong Es allowed
lighting a small lamp directly from the receiving antenna - the transmitter
ran 20 kW, IIRC.

Old September 19th 03, 12:12 AM
Dan Richardson

On 18 Sep 2003 08:21:43 -0700, (Howard) wrote:

Hello to all,

I have looked with interest at the new Ten-Tec Vee Beam Terminated
antenna. Is there a guru on the list who has the knowlege to share on
how to duplicate this antenna?

It is a vee beam with each leg terminated to ground with a resistor,
and there is a balun of sorts at the input.

I remember an antenna similar to this years ago, and I think ten-tec
will have a winner with this if folks can get away from the supposed
"horror" of a terminated antenna.

Details at
www.tentec.com

I wish I could afford it at this time!!

Regards, Howard

Running a model with an apex angle of 90º as per the illustration on
page one of their Installation and Operation manual. NEC reports the
following maximum forward gain:

Using 50 foot arms

Freq. MHz Gain dBi Elevation Angle

3.5 -13.8 80º
7.0 -5.3 55º
14 -1.8 33º
21 5.63 23º
28 6.51 47º

Using 100 foot arms

3.5 -9.4 64º
7.0 -1.06 47º
14 4.51 25º
21 4.35 17º
28 3.24 57º

Danny, K6MHE

Old September 24th 03, 04:33 AM
mike

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:23:21 -0400, "R J Carpenter"
wrote:

It's just a half-rhombic, but must suffer seriously from the poor grounding
that the ground rods provide. That will both reduce the front-to-back ratio
and make the input impedance vary (much) more with frequency.

According to US Army Signal Corps FM 24-18 chapter 3 section 7, poor
grounds can be helped with a dose of the following to increase
conductivity (in order of conductivity)

Sodium Chloride
Calcium Chloride
Copper Sulfate
Magnesium Sulfate
Postassium Nitrate

Course they also say dont let it get into the drinking water grin

mike

Old September 24th 03, 10:19 AM
Rob Judd

Yeah, and I can just see the neighbours demanding you shut down your
dangerous transmitter. "Look at all the dead snails! See!! It's
deadly!!!"

Rob

Old September 30th 03, 05:11 PM
Brian

Dan Richardson wrote in message . ..
[...]

Danny, can you give us a match/swr for each band? The antenna is
supposed to not need matching.

Brian