Old February 5th 15, 10:54 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default FM for the Eddystone EA12?

On 2/2/2015 6:44 AM, gareth wrote:
I wonder if there had been any articles published for taking the
100kHz IF output of the EA12 RX and creating an FM discriminator
for it, possibly a pulse-counting discriminator at such a low frequency?

I recall when I was in college, The teacher showed us an old movie
produced by the US-Army on FM radio, it eatured SLOPE detection of an FM
signal... I will not say more but you could tell who in the class had a
ham license and/or experience with FM radio right quick when that hit.
(All the students ROFL in case nobody here is old enough to recall Slope
Detection).

--
Home, is where I park it.

---

Old February 5th 15, 11:54 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"John Davis" wrote in message
On 2/2/2015 6:44 AM, gareth wrote:

I recall when I was in college, The teacher showed us an old movie
produced by the US-Army on FM radio, it eatured SLOPE detection of an FM
signal... I will not say more but you could tell who in the class had a
ham license and/or experience with FM radio right quick when that hit.
(All the students ROFL in case nobody here is old enough to recall Slope
Detection).

I know about the slope detectiion and am 65.

I don't have any of the very old gear, but every so often I listen to the
hams around 3.85 MHz. that use the old military and AM gear. While I don't
think it is really legal (and don't really care) some of those AM
transmitters sound beter if I switch to FM on my Icom 746 pro. I think when
they were made they seem to put out about as much FM as AM.

Old February 6th 15, 12:59 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"John Davis" wrote in message
On 2/2/2015 6:44 AM, gareth wrote:

I recall when I was in college, The teacher showed us an old movie
produced by the US-Army on FM radio, it eatured SLOPE detection of an FM
signal... I will not say more but you could tell who in the class had a
ham license and/or experience with FM radio right quick when that hit.
(All the students ROFL in case nobody here is old enough to recall Slope
Detection).

I know about the slope detectiion and am 65.

I think it might be more the younger crowd. There was that period, in the
late forties or early fifties were very narrow FM was promoted, no need
for the big modulation transformer, and no being detected by input stages
to audio amplifiers. But slope detection was the usual mode, since
virtually no shortwave receivers had FM detectors. Except one could get
an external FM adapter for a late model HRO (I think, there was an
accessory socket for that, but I'm not sure if there was an FM detector;
people used the socket to add an external product detector).

And then of course, when 2m FM took off, lots of people converted their
existing AM rigs to FM by modulating the oscillator in some way, and using
slope detection for reception. Or there was a project in QST in the
summer of 1971, add a converter to an AM broadcast portable, and use slope
detection, then the next month add an FM IF strip.

I used to use my SP-600 with a converter to listen to 2M FM circa 1972,
and I had to use slope detection.

I don't have any of the very old gear, but every so often I listen to the
hams around 3.85 MHz. that use the old military and AM gear. While I don't
think it is really legal (and don't really care) some of those AM
transmitters sound beter if I switch to FM on my Icom 746 pro. I think when
they were made they seem to put out about as much FM as AM.

That's weird. I thought those hardcore AMers wanted purity, and took
effort to ensure they were putting out a good signal. They sure aren't
using modulated oscillators, and I don't think anything where the
modulation would get back to the oscillator.

When I got my Hallicrafter's S-120A (that's the transistorized model)
shortwave receiver in 1971, that AM bunch was the only voice modulation I
could receive on the ham bands, since the receiver had way too weak a BFO.
(Only later did I learn enough to put a potentiometer between the antenna
and the receiver's antenna terminals to work as an attenuator, at which
point I could receive SSB, but only signals strong enough to overcome the
attentuation.). I gathered at the time that they were youngish, I'm not
sure why, maybe what they were talking about. And they probably are the
same bunch now, 44 years later. But at the time it was great, since I
could listen to hams talk.

Michael

Old February 6th 15, 04:20 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1502051950290.19867@darkstar. example.org...
On Thu, 5 Feb 2015, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't have any of the very old gear, but every so often I listen to the
hams around 3.85 MHz. that use the old military and AM gear. While I
don't
think it is really legal (and don't really care) some of those AM
transmitters sound beter if I switch to FM on my Icom 746 pro. I think
when
they were made they seem to put out about as much FM as AM.

That's weird. I thought those hardcore AMers wanted purity, and took
effort to ensure they were putting out a good signal. They sure aren't
using modulated oscillators, and I don't think anything where the
modulation would get back to the oscillator.

There may be two kinds of people using AM. One for 'good quality AM' ,but
the other is using mainly the military gear from around the WW2 era or so.
Maybe even before that if they can find it. That is the stuff that can
contain about as much FM as it does AM. The power supplies are often
feeding the oscillator as well as the final stages and not regulated very
well if at all. That probably helps modulate the transmitter to have a lot
of FM in the signal.

Old February 6th 15, 10:36 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
[...]

FM has always been a legal mode for 80m in the UK, it's just that nobody
normally uses it intentionally.
Provided you're using no more bandwidth than normal AM I can't see a
problem.
--
;-)
..

Old February 6th 15, 12:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

FM has always been a legal mode for 80m in the UK, it's just that nobody
normally uses it intentionally.
Provided you're using no more bandwidth than normal AM I can't see a
problem.

Well perhaps not 'always'. FM was not allowed prior to about 1952.

Jeff
Old February 6th 15, 01:28 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , Jeff writes

FM has always been a legal mode for 80m in the UK, it's just that nobody
normally uses it intentionally.
Provided you're using no more bandwidth than normal AM I can't see a
problem.

Well perhaps not 'always'. FM was not allowed prior to about 1952.

In those days, some AM transmissions had quite a lot of FM on them!

10m FM works well using modified CB sets (2.5kHz deviation and 10kHz
channel spacing). It slope fairly well using my Eton SW receiver with
the AM filter switched to 'narrow'.
--
Ian
Old February 6th 15, 02:47 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
FM has always been a legal mode for 80m in the UK, it's just that nobody
normally uses it intentionally.
Provided you're using no more bandwidth than normal AM I can't see a
problem.

Well perhaps not 'always'. FM was not allowed prior to about 1952.

Jeff

When was FM first invented? BBC broadcast FM started in 1955.
--
;-)
..

Old February 6th 15, 02:53 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Howard_Armstrong

Old February 6th 15, 03:48 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI
writes
"Jeff" wrote in message ...
FM has always been a legal mode for 80m in the UK, it's just that nobody
normally uses it intentionally.
Provided you're using no more bandwidth than normal AM I can't see a
problem.

Well perhaps not 'always'. FM was not allowed prior to about 1952.
Jeff

When was FM first invented? BBC broadcast FM started in 1955.

The Murkins were trying it (for broadcast) in the early 40s (Google will
tell us).
--
Ian

Eddystone 958/7 Aleksandar Shortwave 1 March 18th 06 05:56 AM
FS: Eddystone EA12 shortwave receiver D Equipment 0 June 27th 04 11:21 PM
FS: Eddystone EA12 shortwave receiver D Equipment 0 June 27th 04 11:21 PM
eddystone John Plimmer Shortwave 1 May 7th 04 12:32 PM
eddystone wil Shortwave 1 May 5th 04 09:15 PM