Old October 14th 03, 07:38 PM
Diego Stutzer

Default V and I not in phase at resonance Frequency in RLC network?

Hi,
Well, I'm really confused.
I simulate a simple serial R-C-L-Network (all in series).

As far as I know the total (input-)Impedance of the network is:
Z = R + jwL - j/(wC) resp. the resonance frequency (where Zin=R) is
1/sqrt(L*C).
At resonance frequency, the Impedance should be real and therefore in
my hummel opinion Voltage and Current schould be in phase.

The funny thing is, when i build up such a network in Schematics
(Cadence PSD 14.1/Orcad 9.2) and simulate it with the PSpice A/D
Simulator, the current is displaced (relative to the voltage) about
lambda/4 - obviously not in phase!?

Can anyone tell my where I made a mistake?
Or why this Problem is showing up?
Thanks to anyone reading this and especially to those who post
answers.
D. Stutzer
Old October 14th 03, 08:30 PM
Pawel Stobinski

Don Pearce wrote:
The impedance should be R + jwL + 1/(jwC)

1/j = j/j*j = j/-1 = -j

-j/wC = 1/jwC

--
Pawel Stobinski
Republic of Poland

Old October 15th 03, 01:25 AM
Michael

The impedance should be R + jwL + 1/(jwC)

You sure?, how do the j parts cancel at resonance if they are both added?

What causes this? Ken Bessler Antenna 21 December 4th 04 01:37 PM
Folded monopole dilemma The other John Smith Antenna 33 April 27th 04 02:00 AM
Current in antenna loading coils controversy (*sigh*) Roy Lewallen Antenna 25 January 15th 04 09:11 PM
Current in antenna loading coils controversy Yuri Blanarovich Antenna 454 December 12th 03 03:39 PM
Check resonance frequency with GDO Max Antenna 1 July 12th 03 05:18 PM