Old October 21st 03, 12:29 PM
R J Carpenter

Default Desire source for 4-digit LCD displays

Few 3.5 and 4 digit LCDs displays seem to be available from distributors (in
small quantities). I find them to be more expensive that a whole fever
thermometer containing one.

Can someone lead me to a reasonable source?

Thanks,

Bob

Old October 21st 03, 03:57 PM
Joel Kolstad

R J Carpenter wrote:
Few 3.5 and 4 digit LCDs displays seem to be available from distributors
(in small quantities). I find them to be more expensive that a whole
fever thermometer containing one.

Can someone lead me to a reasonable source?

What do you consider 'reasonable?' Electronix Express has 4 digit 0.5"
numeric LCD displays for $3.95... http://www.elexp.com/opt_lcd1.htm .

You'll always be able to find examples of high volume consumer goods that
are cheaper than the parts alone in low volume... which of course suggests
that -- depending on the labor necessary -- sometimes it might be cheaper to
disassemble perfectly good new equipment to get the goodies you want!

---Joel Kolstad

Old October 21st 03, 05:44 PM
R J Carpenter

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message
R J Carpenter wrote:
Few 3.5 and 4 digit LCDs displays seem to be available from distributors
(in small quantities). I find them to be more expensive that a whole
fever thermometer containing one.

Can someone lead me to a reasonable source?

What do you consider 'reasonable?' Electronix Express has 4 digit 0.5"
numeric LCD displays for $3.95... http://www.elexp.com/opt_lcd1.htm .

Cheap enough for me.

I don't recognize the source. Are they a surplus reseller so that continued
availability is questionable?

Thanks for the info.

bob w3otc

Old October 21st 03, 08:51 PM
Joel Kolstad

R J Carpenter wrote:
"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message
What do you consider 'reasonable?' Electronix Express has 4 digit 0.5"
numeric LCD displays for $3.95... http://www.elexp.com/opt_lcd1.htm .

Cheap enough for me.

I don't recognize the source. Are they a surplus reseller so that
continued availability is questionable?

I believe they're new; I base this on their _not_ being in the 'surplus'
section of the print catalog. EE's primarily target appears to be the
educational/hobbyist area (i.e., basic electronic components at 'reasonable'
prices, lots of kits, test equipment, etc.) I've never ordered anything
form them, but have gotten a couple of catalogs (they're 300 pages -- quite
extensive, really) over the course of a few years so it looks like they're
here to stay!

---Joel

Old October 23rd 03, 12:40 AM
Tim Shoppa

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message ...
Few 3.5 and 4 digit LCDs displays seem to be available from distributors (in
small quantities). I find them to be more expensive that a whole fever
thermometer containing one.

Can someone lead me to a reasonable source?

Digikey stocks both Lumex and Varitronix ones, at prices from $1.66 to $8
or so (depending on price, brand, etc.)

Go to www.digikey.com and search for "lumex" and "lcd" to get started.

It is true that in the hobby market that dot-matrix LCD displays have
largely displaced numeric ones. I still like the numeric ones for my
projects.

Tim.