Old November 3rd 03, 01:49 PM
Thanasis

Default Switched reactances in VCO

In the book "Introduction to Radio Frequency Design" of W7ZOI and in
the section 7.9 "Voltage Controlled Oscillators" I read about how to
switch in and out a capacitor or an inductor in a VCO, using a diode
switch in order to alter the frequency of the oscillator.

Unfortunately this information is theoritical to me and I couldn't
make my oscillator change its frequency.

Does any one have a practical example of a Switched reactance VCO ?

Thanks
Thanasis Lazos
Old November 3rd 03, 04:23 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Thanasis wrote:

In the book "Introduction to Radio Frequency Design" of W7ZOI and in
the section 7.9 "Voltage Controlled Oscillators" I read about how to
switch in and out a capacitor or an inductor in a VCO, using a diode
switch in order to alter the frequency of the oscillator.

Unfortunately this information is theoritical to me and I couldn't
make my oscillator change its frequency.

Does any one have a practical example of a Switched reactance VCO ?

Thanks
Thanasis Lazos

I worked on the Microdyne synthesizers using this method. It used strip
line inductors, with a heavy ground buss along the edge of the board.
The diodes were either forward or reverse biased to turn them on or off.
you can't just let them float. Use a capacitor at least 100 times the
highest value of the varicap to ground on the switching end of the
diode, and as short as possible connections for the both ends of the
diode. Connect a resistor to the diode and capacitor, and feed it a
positive or negative voltage for forward or reverse bias. They have to
be turned on hard, or they will rectify the RF and cause problems, but
you can't exceed the current ratings, or you will damage the diode. we
used + or - 12 volts for switching, and the diodes were used to switch
the range at about 10% of the operating frequency. Its simple when you
see it in front of you, but it is difficult to explain with text. This
design was used in their 1200, 1400, 700, and 2800 series receivers, so
you might find someone with a manual on one of these to see how they are
built.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old November 3rd 03, 05:41 PM

Thanasis wrote:
Does any one have a practical example of a Switched reactance VCO ?

The GLB 2M synthesizer of the 70's used this method.
A trimmer cap was switched in by diode to lower 24MHz VCO
to 22+ MHz on receive. 1N4148 and 5 volts. simple.
73 W7ZFB

Old November 4th 03, 11:30 AM
Thanasis

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message ...

They have to be turned on hard, or they will rectify the RF
and cause problems ...

I was feeding the diode with 1mA. I couldn't imagine that should feed it
with ~20mA in order to be stable my oscillator.

Thanks for your help
Thanasis Lazos

Old November 4th 03, 07:11 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Thanasis wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message ...

They have to be turned on hard, or they will rectify the RF
and cause problems ...

I was feeding the diode with 1mA. I couldn't imagine that should feed it
with ~20mA in order to be stable my oscillator.

Thanks for your help
Thanasis Lazos

We had problems with phase noise at lower currents.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old November 5th 03, 05:52 AM

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Thanasis wrote:

[...]

On the Microdynes - did you use inductors on the DC lines
to the diodes to keep the RF off the DC ?