Old November 17th 03, 12:23 PM
Frank Dinger

I don't think impedance matching is as much of an issue as the level.
From
what I can tell, Bill had it right. All it takes is a couple of

resistors.
You got to reduce the level A BUNCH. I don't know if Bill's 100:1 is

right,
I found the values for my Icom by experimentation, but it's pretty close.

Keep in mind that you want to run the computer's speaker volume pretty

high
to reduce quantization error. If you adjust the resistance and mike gain

so
that your power out is somewhat below max when you are generating SSTV, it
should be pretty close.

Digipan suggests a 100K in series and a 1K in parallel ... seems like I

had
to get more extreme, but then I'm connecting up an Icom.

========================
Apart from (roughly ) matching impedances ,a transformer ensures galvanic
separation between PC (laptop) and transceiver , hence avoiding any hassle
due to earth loops .
If the voltage level at the transceiver's microphone input poses a problem ,
a resistive voltage divider can always be added.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old November 18th 03, 12:41 AM
Ashhar Farhan

"G8YWL" wrote in message ...
Does anyone know how I can convert the output from a speaker/headphones jack
from a Laptop into a suitable input to the Mic socket of a TS430S? It's for
running SSTV

I have not been able to find anything on the net - probably 'cos I'm asking
the wrong question.

have u actually tried connecting the output of your speaker directly
into the mic input? i bet you a 2n3904 that it would work. you can cut
down the audio output using the volume control applet.

even if you do horribly overdrive the transceiver, you dont have to
sweat because the SSB filter will clean out any out-of-passband
distortion. and sstv does not use any amplitude variations (i am not
aware of the newer SSTV modes) so clipped audio will not be very
different to the remote receiver.

as usual, i guess, you should simply plug in the sound card output
into your mic input to see what happens.

i have used my homebrew on PSK31 without any attenuation. it works
pretty well. infact, i got into PSK31 by hanging my PC's mic over the
speaker box and tuning the sigs using WinPSK. On a dare, I left my
transceiver mic on top of the PC's cambridge work speakers and started
working PSK31 dx right off. the next night i searched around for a
pair of cables and connected the rig and the PC together without any
other components.

i have used RTTY, SSTV as well as PSK31 without any electronics in
addition to ordinary cables.

- farhan

Old November 18th 03, 02:15 AM
Dave Platt

Does anyone know how I can convert the output from a speaker/headphones jack
from a Laptop into a suitable input to the Mic socket of a TS430S? It's for
running SSTV

I have not been able to find anything on the net - probably 'cos I'm asking
the wrong question.

have u actually tried connecting the output of your speaker directly
into the mic input? i bet you a 2n3904 that it would work. you can cut
down the audio output using the volume control applet.

Getting proper, fine control of the volume level might be very
difficult with this approach.

even if you do horribly overdrive the transceiver, you dont have to
sweat because the SSB filter will clean out any out-of-passband
distortion. and sstv does not use any amplitude variations (i am not
aware of the newer SSTV modes) so clipped audio will not be very
different to the remote receiver.

Hmmm. How about intermodulation issues? That might cause a fair big
of gunk even within the audio passband.

as usual, i guess, you should simply plug in the sound card output
into your mic input to see what happens.

i have used my homebrew on PSK31 without any attenuation. it works
pretty well.

How the the signal actually look (and measure) on the far end? How
were the IMD levels, and how far did the PSK31 signal's sidebands
extend?

Even if it "works pretty well", I'd be concerned about shoving audio
distortion products out well away from the signal. This might not be
too much of an issue for SSTV, which is using voice-grade bandwidth,
but I _really_ wouldn't want to do it when working PSK31. One of
PSK31's benefits is its extremely narrow spectrum width, when tuned
properly.

I've seen some really beautiful (narrow and clean) PSK31 signals on
the band. I've also seen 'em with sidebands blasting out in both
directions, across the full width of the spectrum/waterfall display,
as a result of people overdriving their audio inputs or forgetting to
turn off their compressor/processor or driving their RF finals up to
get the last little bit of power out of their TX. When this happens,
the narrow-bandwidth spectum-sharing benefit of PSK31 go right out the
window, and the signal can become harder to copy reliably.

As to the original poster's question: there are a number of commercial
products designed for PC/rig interfacing, and numerous homebrew
circuits as well. The simplest designs simply include a resistive
attenuator (a fixed resistor pair, or an audio-taper potentiometer) to
drop the speaker output level down to mic levels. More complex
designs often include transformer isolation in both the TX and RX
audio paths, to break ground loops and keep RF out of the audio path.

Any interface designed for PSK31 would probably work very well for
SSTV as well. See http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/psk31.html for schematics
of both resistive and transformer-isolated versions.

On the commercial side, the best-known are probably the RigBlaster
(http://www.westmountainradio.com/) and the Rascal / GLX
(http://www.buxcomm.com).

I've used a Rascal (pre-GLX version) quite successfully, to operate
both PSK31 and VHF packet from my Dell laptop.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO