Old November 19th 03, 04:05 AM
Michael Black

"Gavin Jacobs" ) writes:
Laura,
Judging from your Lat/Long, you're in BC right? So maybe you can help me.

I made an attempt to find EMRFD in Calgary and came up with this:
1) web page of Chapters.ca - no such ISBN
2) phone call to McNally Robinson bookstore - can't find it in their computer

So, did you buy your copy in Canada? If so where?

Any fellow canucks,
What is the best place in CA to order EMRFD?

Thanks,
Gavin

Unless some of the big ham stores carry it, I suspect it's not off the shelf
anywhere in Canada. The audience is too limited, and I don't see it (yet)
making inroads to non-hams. Something like the ARRL Handbook shows up
in bookstores, but it's been around for decades and is often offered
as a good intro to electronics and/or construction, even to those not
interested in amateur radio.

Check the Radio Amateurs of Canada website at http://www.rac.ca They
have a list of places that sell their books, and those ham stores are
the places I might expect the book. But even then, as the technical side
of amateur radio fades, they may not bother stocking the technical books.

I bought an ARRL Handbook a couple of years ago from Radio HF here in
the Montreal area, but it turned out they didn't have it in stock, and I
had to wait while he collected enough orders to make an order to the ARRL
worthwhile. http://www3.sympatico.ca/radiohf When I ordered, he
was offering free shipping in order to entice those orders, so the
delay wasn't bothersome. But I haven't bothered asking him if he
has any in stock, and I'm not sure if there is any great reason
for ordering in Canada if you have to wait for a shipment from
the US first.

So, it might be simplest to order from the ARRL, http://www.arrl.org
I guess when I finally get around to it, I'll do it that way.

Michael VE2BVW

"Laura Halliday" wrote in message om...
Wes Stewart wrote in message . ..

I don't have that one but the predecessor was "Introduction to Radio
Frequency Design" by Haywood.

Uh, no. EMRFD was positioned as the successor to
Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur.

Introduction to RF Design is an excellent book. But
it's not related to EMRFD.

My list of books I've found interesting and/or
informative (not all electronics-related) is at
http://www.qsl.net/ve7ldh/reading.html

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old November 19th 03, 04:08 PM
Gavin Jacobs

Thanks for the advice.

I had assumed that if Chapters didn't have it then Amazon wouldn't either,
but I was wrong on that. Turns out it was available from Amazon.ca, so
that's where I placed the order.

"Gavin Jacobs" wrote in message
Laura,
Judging from your Lat/Long, you're in BC right? So maybe you can help me.

I made an attempt to find EMRFD in Calgary and came up with this:
1) web page of Chapters.ca - no such ISBN
2) phone call to McNally Robinson bookstore - can't find it in their

computer

So, did you buy your copy in Canada? If so where?

Any fellow canucks,
What is the best place in CA to order EMRFD?

Thanks,
Gavin

"Laura Halliday" wrote in message

om...

. ..

Old November 19th 03, 05:06 PM
Laura Halliday

"Gavin Jacobs" wrote in message news:GkBub.91991$jy.39792@clgrps13...
Laura,
Judging from your Lat/Long, you're in BC right? So maybe you can help me.

I made an attempt to find EMRFD in Calgary and came up with this:
1) web page of Chapters.ca - no such ISBN
2) phone call to McNally Robinson bookstore - can't find it in their computer

So, did you buy your copy in Canada? If so where?

Any fellow canucks,
What is the best place in CA to order EMRFD?

Newington, Connecticut. :-)

I bought my copy of EMRFD directly from the ARRL.
Amazon.com have it too. I'd love to spend more
money at Chapters, but they seem to be more interested
in candles and such nowadays.

Books are duty free in to Canada (always have been),
and if you catch Canada Customs on a good day they
won't hit you for taxes either.