Old November 22nd 03, 10:59 PM
Padraigh

Default Transformer question.

I've been looking at building a few vacuum-tube based projects (just for
the heck of it...and maybe use a few of the tubes I have siting around!
) I have been able to acquire a few single-winding transformers, both
HV(175-250 V) and either 6 or 12 for heaters
Question: since I do not have the dual-voltage transformers in a single
package, when wiring them into the circuit, are the 117V primaries
wired in series? This SEEMS correct, but my suppositions have been wrong
before!

"Stupidty is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death.
There is no appeal, and execution is
carried out automatically and without pity."
Robert A. Heinlein
"TIme Enough For Love"

Old November 22nd 03, 11:25 PM
Kenneth

Padraigh wrote:
I've been looking at building a few vacuum-tube based projects (just for
the heck of it...and maybe use a few of the tubes I have siting around!
) I have been able to acquire a few single-winding transformers, both
HV(175-250 V) and either 6 or 12 for heaters
Question: since I do not have the dual-voltage transformers in a single
package, when wiring them into the circuit, are the 117V primaries
wired in series? This SEEMS correct, but my suppositions have been wrong
before!

"Stupidty is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death.
There is no appeal, and execution is
carried out automatically and without pity."
Robert A. Heinlein
"TIme Enough For Love"

I assume you mean using two transformers, one for the hv and one for the
heaters. You must wire the primaries in PARALLEL NOT series! If you
want to operate the thing on a 240v line then you need to get two
identical transformers, put the secondaries in parallel and the
primaries in series (total of 4 transformers in this case).

Old November 22nd 03, 11:40 PM
Padraigh

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I plan to use 2 seperate
transformers...and will be VERY mindful of the caution needed when
working with high voltages! I caused enough trouble at work last night
when I added the wrong chemical (a concentrated detergent) to a chemical
bath...there was this pretty purple foam flying about, though...

Old November 23rd 03, 01:01 AM
Kenneth

Bill Turner wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:25:33 -0500, Kenneth %wa2mze%@%bellsouth%.%net%
wrote:

If you
want to operate the thing on a 240v line then you need to get two
identical transformers, put the secondaries in parallel and the
primaries in series (total of 4 transformers in this case).

And get the phasing proper lest smoke spurt and fuses flash.

Got that right man!