Old December 17th 03, 02:52 PM
Fred McKenzie

I think I remember the number from the dlate 1960s but can't recall what
their main use was, refreesher?

Hank-

The RCA 40673 Dual Gate MOSFET was used as a low noise VHF RF Preamp in the
early 1970s. There were at least two preamp kits popular at the time, such as
the one from Topeka FM & Engineering. I used such a preamp on my Regency
HR-2A, supposedly improving the sensitivity from 0.35 uV to 0.2 uV. Of course
there was an increase in intermodulation interference that came with it!

While there are many such pieces of equipment still in use, there are newer
devices that can be used as a replacement for the 40673. An example (only
slightly newer) is the 3N201.

Today's FM rigs typically have better sensitivity even without an additional
preamplifier.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old December 16th 03, 11:42 PM
JGBOYLES

I think I remember the number from the dlate 1960s but can't recall what
their main use was

The 40673 as I recall was a dual gate FET. Used in mixers and other stuff
dual gates were used. They were in a small metal package (TO-??) with 4 leads.
I think I remember their orginal application was CB xcvrs.
73 Gary N4AST

Old December 17th 03, 12:07 AM
rob34

rob34 wrote:

I have a small quantity of RCA 40673 mosfets for anyone interested. I
will sell them for $2.50 each. These are NOS and I am selling them at
half the market value. If you get them through NTE they are over $11.00
or you get them through Dan`s small parts (if he has any) at$5.00 each.
Thanks, Rob

For starters, Heathkit used them for their dip meters. There are a lot
of uses for this mosfet, and I am afraid they are scarce!! I have 20 of
them right now and I think I might be able to get more, but I am not
sure. If anyone is serious about this, I will sell this lot for $40.00 ,
so e-mail me. Rob WB8VWI

Old December 17th 03, 01:41 PM
rob34

rob34 wrote:
I have a small quantity of RCA 40673 mosfets for anyone interested. I
will sell them for $2.50 each. These are NOS and I am selling them at
half the market value. If you get them through NTE they are over $11.00
or you get them through Dan`s small parts (if he has any) at$5.00 each.
Thanks, Rob

Thank`s for all the replies!! I have sold them and I am going to try to
scronge some more. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!
Old December 19th 03, 02:18 AM
Eddie Haskel

*Heathkit* used a ****load of them in EVERYTHING they made. They were in
the 2 meter radios as a mixer and front end, even in the TVM's
(Transistorized Volt Meters). The early solidstate "VTVM" (I know..they had
tubes in them) but Heathkit had a solidstate one and they used it as a meter
amplifier...Eddie

F.S. RCA 40673 Mosfets Rob Boatanchors 2 November 15th 04 10:05 PM
F.S. RCA 40673 Mosfets Rob Boatanchors 0 November 15th 04 10:52 AM