Old January 11th 04, 06:52 PM
Shane

Default Need help to ID this keyer

I was given this a while back by a friend, unfortunately he had back wired
it and ended its life, does anyone know or recognise this kit/circuit? as I
really need to get hold of parts list/ schematic.

here are some pics.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/shane.rea/keyer/1.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/shane.rea/keyer/2.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/shane.rea/keyer/3.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/shane.rea/keyer/4.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/shane.rea/keyer/5.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info

Shane

Old January 11th 04, 08:05 PM
Tim Wescott

It was obviously hand-built, so it's probably not from a kit. You'd have a
better chance of IDing it if you posted the list of IC's -- that may ring a
bell for someone.

Better yet, since all the IC's are socketed and since reversing the power
supply probably damaged any that aren't destroyed completely, why not
replace them wholesale?

Or keep the nicely made mechanical work in the cabinet and put in brand new
keyer guts? This may be the least expensive of all.

Old January 12th 04, 04:39 PM
Ottar

Could this be a copy of the Heathkit keyer from the mid seventies ?

It's hard to see the name of the chips and my guess is TTL's.

Just a guess....

ottar

Old January 12th 04, 08:05 PM
xpyttl

"Ottar" wrote in message

Could this be a copy of the Heathkit keyer from the mid seventies ?

Nope. I think the Heathkit had a lot less parts

It's hard to see the name of the chips and my guess is TTL's.

I blew up the picture and I *think* I saw 4401 and 4013. For a while there
CMOS parts were all the rage in keyers.

Or keep the nicely made mechanical work in the cabinet and put in brand
new
keyer guts? This may be the least expensive of all.

The mechanical work really is nice, isn't it. These days you can replace
the whole works with a TiCK or any of a hundred TiCK clones, or better yet,
stick in a PIC and roll your own logic so you get the feature set you want.

I think the bottom-end TiCK chip is around ten bucks. All it needs is a
power supply, which can be a watch battery, and a keying transistor, which
is probably already there ... maybe the supply, too. For a few more bucks
you can add all sorts of features, either through higher end TiCK's
(www.bright.net/~kanga/kanga) or Island Keyer (www.morsex.com), or the K1EL
keyer (www.k1el.com), or .. or ... or ...

Old January 11th 04, 08:18 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

With the perf board wiring -- sure looks like a homebrew project -- not a
kit.

Wiring and panel IDs appear nicely done.

A lot of these homebrew projects used a Curtis keyer chip 8044ABM -- see

Good Luck
--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard
----------------------

Old January 12th 04, 10:24 PM
Skipp

It's a pretty standard layout, probably a cmos keyer that someone
wired on an experimenters board using telephone wire. You can search
through the arrl handbooks for information on earlier cmos keyers.

I've seen a few like it, HRO ("hugh rip off")(not really) which is is Ham
Radio Outlet put out a pre-built one knob keyer back in the 80's that
looks just like this circuit, less the mechanical keys. There were also
projects like it in the handbook, based on revisions of the earlier wb4???
designs... which migrated into the Autek Accu Keyer layout.

It took me almost ten years to find one, but I did locate a replacement
which included the circuit diagram. I could make it available on the
http://sonic.ucdavis.edu server if you're interested.

The small board underneath is probably a 555 timer set up for sidetone. My
old World Radio Labs Galaxy III (3) didn't have one, so we'd have to
monitor our outbound cw by listening to the power supply hum.

cheers