Old January 27th 04, 12:14 AM
Mike Andrews

Christopher wrote:
Hi guys,

ok, I've got an idea but it's based on determining the distance of a
transmitter from a receiver, I originally thought about a synchronised
clock in both units, the transmitter sends the time it has out, by the
time the receiver unit gets this time a period has passed (probably a
few millionth's of a second) and a diff time is detemined, combined with
the speed those waves travel, will reveal the distance.

however, physics decided this idea wouldnt work, since all
electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light, apparently,
DAMN, back to the drawing board.

I'm here to see if anyone has any way they can determine the distance
from transmitter to receiver, this isnt a great distance either and it
needs to be fairly, accurate, if it's not possible, it's not possible, I
just wanted to ask people far cleverer than i.

signal strength perhaps?

literally I am talking about a transmitter within a cuboid shaped
enclosure around 10m maximum and being able to pinpoint that transmitter
within that enclosure accurately, to around 1cm, perhaps 2cm.

like I said, if it's not possible, well then hey, thanks anyway, but
perhaps it is and therefore perhaps my idea will still be workable.

thanks guys! I'll be waiting for your answers or solutions

You might want to look at how GPS works.

--
I think it likely that when the successor to IPV6 is just about to be deployed
througout the Solar System there will still be null routes and deny table
Old January 27th 04, 12:32 AM
Joel Kolstad

Christopher wrote:
Hi guys,

ok, I've got an idea but it's based on determining the distance of a
transmitter from a receiver, I originally thought about a synchronised
clock in both units, the transmitter sends the time it has out, by the
time the receiver unit gets this time a period has passed (probably a
few millionth's of a second) and a diff time is detemined, combined with
the speed those waves travel, will reveal the distance.

Yes, but as you've deduced, the problem is keeping the clocks synchronize.

On the other hand, there's no reason you can't have one unit send out a
pulse and begin timing. The second unit receives it, immediate sends a
'reply' pulse, and you stop your clock when the first unit receives that.
Now the accuracy is determined by the accuracy of just one clock, the amount
of uncertainty in the 'turnaround' time of the second unit... and the
variation in the speed of light as a function of athmospheric conditions.
(The last one being more of a concern if you're trying to listen to
satellites -- GPS receivers run into this problem.)

You can also use multiple transmitters with high-quality clocks and one
receiver -- this is what GPS goes. The transmitters send out a message
saying, 'I sent this at exactly this time... really I did!' You record on
your local clock when you receive those messages and hence can perform
triangulation to determine your position. Better yet, if you have yet
another transmitter, you can solve for your position as well as the
_relative error in your timebase_ and thereby synchronize one (or more)
receivers to the high-quality clock in the transmitter. In GPS receivers,
this additional satellite is what gets you a 2D fix vs. a 3D fix.

signal strength perhaps?
literally I am talking about a transmitter within a cuboid shaped
enclosure around 10m maximum and being able to pinpoint that transmitter
within that enclosure accurately, to around 1cm, perhaps 2cm.

Ah, OK, if it's enclosed field strength would be a reasonably reliable
indicator. There was an article in Circuit Cellar Ink just a year or so
back where a guy did this (and cited references -- the idea has been around
for awhile), but it's sort of the oppposite of what you suggest: You stick
large (transmitting) coils at the edges of your box and then detect the
signal strength on a small receiver. 1cm in 10m is 1 part in 1000, which I
would gander is right about in the middle of 'trivial' and 'pushing
impossible.'

There are also '3D' computer mice (mouses?) out there that use a couple of
ultrasonic receivers on the 'mouse pad' and perform triangulation after
listening for the mouse's transmission. Same idea as with RF, but easier
because sound waves are so much slower than electromagnetic waves -- times
are measured in microseconds or milliseconds rather than picosecond and
nanoseconds!

---Joel Kolstad

Old January 27th 04, 12:55 AM
Tim Wescott

That's basically how GPS works, except that you need more than one
transmitter, or veddy expensive clocks in the receiver. Basically with GPS
you receive accurate time signals from four satallites. Since your receiver
doesn't know the time or it's position you have four equations (from four
satellites) in four unknowns and voila! you have an answer. You can do
differential GPS down to millimeter accuracy if you sense the phase of the
carrier.

Loran uses the same basic concepts (synchronized transmitters, speed of
light, yadda yadda), but it asks you to sense the phase difference between a
master and a slave TX, and it isn't nearly so accurate.

"Christopher" wrote in message
[...]

kosh

Old January 27th 04, 07:10 AM
Sverre Holm

literally I am talking about a transmitter within a cuboid shaped
enclosure around 10m maximum and being able to pinpoint that transmitter
within that enclosure accurately, to around 1cm, perhaps 2cm.

This is a typical application of an acoustic positioning system. With a
speed of sound of about 340 m/s, this is feasible. I have made such a system
with acoustic tags on 40 kHz using 8 receiver nodes in the room. That's more
than required, but it gives enough redundancy to be robust against shadowing
as things move around in the room. Accuracy is in the 1-2 cm range.

--
Sverre Holm, LA3ZA
---------------------------------

Old January 27th 04, 07:53 AM
Paul Keinanen

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:55:44 -0800, "Tim Wescott"
wrote:

That's basically how GPS works, except that you need more than one
transmitter, or veddy expensive clocks in the receiver. Basically with GPS
you receive accurate time signals from four satallites. Since your receiver
doesn't know the time or it's position you have four equations (from four
satellites) in four unknowns and voila! you have an answer. You can do
differential GPS down to millimeter accuracy if you sense the phase of the
carrier.

Since the measurement should be done in a confined space, why not
switch the roles and use one transmitter on the moving object and four
receivers on known fixed locations around the perimeter of that space?

With the receivers connected by cables receiving a common clock
signal, the accuracy of the clock is not important, contrary to the
situation in GPS, in which the four satellites must have atomic clocks
to have a common time base.

Loran uses the same basic concepts (synchronized transmitters, speed of
light, yadda yadda), but it asks you to sense the phase difference between a
master and a slave TX, and it isn't nearly so accurate.

Space probe ranging is done by sending a high data rate pseudo noise
sequence from earth to the probe, in which a simple frequency
translation is done with a high accuracy local oscillator to a
different frequency and sent back to earth. From this, the total
earth-probe-earth phase difference of the PRN sequence (and possibly
also the total RF phase difference) can be determined and hence also
the distance.

However, in this case the accuracy requirement was 1 cm, so I guess
that at least 10 GHz (3 cm) radiation should be used.

Paul

Old January 27th 04, 05:42 PM
Tim Wescott

You don't necessesarily need to have a carrier wavelength smaller than the
distance you want to measure, as long as you can accurately measure phase.
Assuming that you could measure phase to 10 degrees, for instance, a 1cm
accuracy would only require 900MHz (33cm).

Surveyor-quality differential GPS uses the 2.4GHz GPS carrier and measures
the differences in the carrier phase (not the phase of the pseudo-random
sequence) to get sub-cm accuracies.

"Paul Keinanen" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:55:44 -0800, "Tim Wescott"

-- snip --

Old January 27th 04, 06:10 PM
Steve Nosko

Yep! acoustic is one. another is infrared

Over this short distance RF travel time is in the 30 nano second range.
This requires some pretty good timing measurements. Sound, on the other
hand, has a speed of around 30 mili seconds for 10M (30 ft).

Something I wanted to do for a long time is a model rocket altitude system.
Rocket has a one transistor 10M Rx ( have the circuit around here from some
1960's Pop Electronics for a 1 tranny FM broadcast Rx) and a one or two
transistor 2M Tx (FM) -- rocket antenna easier.. Ground station on 10M
(lots of power available for the wooden rocket Rx) transmits a TONE (not a
pulse). Rocket transponds (retransmits it on 2M). Measure the zero
crossing time delay and subtract the overhead time. With proper (and
simple) digital design, you can have a digital readout in feet, inches,
whatever. With a tone, common ham radios are just fine.
With audio, pulses are easy except how do you keep the target from hearing
it's own echo and "oscillating by itself...?

or use subcarriers - this is a little harder. Transmit an FM modulated tone
(carrier, say 10KHz, tone 1KHz) and transponding it back on another
carrier, say 15 KHz.

Who was it that used to sell the sonar modules from the cameras for
experimentation

acoustic

Old January 27th 04, 07:30 PM
Mike Andrews

Steve Nosko wrote:

Something I wanted to do for a long time is a model rocket altitude system.
Rocket has a one transistor 10M Rx ( have the circuit around here from some
1960's Pop Electronics for a 1 tranny FM broadcast Rx) and a one or two
transistor 2M Tx (FM) -- rocket antenna easier.. Ground station on 10M
(lots of power available for the wooden rocket Rx) transmits a TONE (not a
pulse). Rocket transponds (retransmits it on 2M). Measure the zero
crossing time delay and subtract the overhead time. With proper (and
simple) digital design, you can have a digital readout in feet, inches,
whatever. With a tone, common ham radios are just fine.
With audio, pulses are easy except how do you keep the target from hearing
it's own echo and "oscillating by itself...?

Block the RX input for a few ohnoseconds[1] longer

or use subcarriers - this is a little harder. Transmit an FM modulated tone
(carrier, say 10KHz, tone 1KHz) and transponding it back on another
carrier, say 15 KHz.

Might be a useful alternative. Have to have sharp filters.

Who was it that used to sell the sonar modules from the cameras for
experimentation

Polaroid, IIRC.

[1] The shortest possible unit of time: the interval between hitting
the "do it" key and the realization that you shouldn't have.

--
I swear to god, if people treated their cars they way they treat their
computers, half the cars on the road would be covered in bumper stickers
Old January 27th 04, 09:08 PM
Christopher

Hi Joel,

Joel Kolstad wrote:
Christopher wrote:

[...]

my problem with this is that radio waves are electromagnetic radiation
which travels at the speed of light, therefore can travel 1 meter in 3.3
nanoseconds, if my range is around 10 meters (I was a bit conservative
before, lets say 30meter width/depth and 10 meters high, that'd be big
enough I think for any situation I'd use this system within.

Is there a clock out there that can measure accuracy on this scale, it
seems impossible. That's of course, if radio waves travel through our
atmosphere at almost the speed of light, I'm going to look now as to how
fast they travel through our atmosphere.

You can also use multiple transmitters with high-quality clocks and one
receiver -- this is what GPS goes. The transmitters send out a message
saying, 'I sent this at exactly this time... really I did!' You record on
your local clock when you receive those messages and hence can perform
triangulation to determine your position. Better yet, if you have yet
another transmitter, you can solve for your position as well as the
_relative error in your timebase_ and thereby synchronize one (or more)
receivers to the high-quality clock in the transmitter. In GPS receivers,
this additional satellite is what gets you a 2D fix vs. a 3D fix.

well if you have one transmitter attached to say the top of your head,
you'd need multiple receivers to be able to triangulate that
transmitters position wouldnt you, you'd record the time it was sent and
diff it against the time you have in your local clock, that difference
would give you a rough distance to the transmitter, from each receiver
you'd have a distance/transmitter value, which would denote the RADIUS
of a circle from which the transmitter could be, of course, the location
of the transmitter is where all three circles overlap. More receiver
units could be used to increase the accuracy of those measurements.

the problem again is clock sync. I did originally think that you could
have one master receiver unit, whose clock all others are determined by,
this clock could send out it's time with a "reset" code that all the
other clocks would reset their time to, this would happen fairly
accurately would it? I think it would. Then you're clocks are fairly
sync'd. You'd probably not want to run them for long without resync'ing
again though

signal strength perhaps?
literally I am talking about a transmitter within a cuboid shaped
enclosure around 10m maximum and being able to pinpoint that transmitter
within that enclosure accurately, to around 1cm, perhaps 2cm.

Ah, OK, if it's enclosed field strength would be a reasonably reliable
indicator. There was an article in Circuit Cellar Ink just a year or so
back where a guy did this (and cited references -- the idea has been around
for awhile), but it's sort of the oppposite of what you suggest: You stick
large (transmitting) coils at the edges of your box and then detect the
signal strength on a small receiver. 1cm in 10m is 1 part in 1000, which I
would gander is right about in the middle of 'trivial' and 'pushing
impossible.'

hmmm, thats interesting idea. although I can't find much about it,
could you remember the article name?