Old February 1st 04, 04:46 AM
Paul Clay

Default Best way to cut holes in aluminum panel? Label controls?

What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

What's a good technique for labeling front panel controls on a piece of
homebrew gear? Are there self adhesive labels or decals that
stick/wear really well?

Tnx!

Old February 1st 04, 05:46 AM
JOE

"Paul Clay" wrote in message
What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

Buy a good set of Greenlee punches - they'll cost a bundle but
there's no other good way to do it.

What's a good technique for labeling front panel controls on a piece of
homebrew gear? Are there self adhesive labels or decals that
stick/wear really well?

Go to a trophy shop and buy engraved phenolic plaque labels. They'll
cost ya about $2 each but look GOOD.

JOE

Old February 1st 04, 07:22 AM
donutbandit

Paul Clay wrote in :

What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

Get yourself a step bit. You just drill the starter hole, and then drill
with the step bit until you have the size hole you want. Much cheaper than
punches.
Old February 1st 04, 08:02 AM
Leon Heller

Paul Clay wrote:

What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

I use a tapered drill, it produces a very neat hole.

What's a good technique for labeling front panel controls on a piece of
homebrew gear? Are there self adhesive labels or decals that
stick/wear really well?

Print them on a sheet of paper, put that on the panel and cover it with
a sheet of plastic. You'll have to make holes for the controls, etc.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:

Old February 1st 04, 08:05 AM
Tfort

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:46:26 -0800, Paul Clay
wrote:

What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

What's a good technique for labeling front panel controls on a piece of
homebrew gear? Are there self adhesive labels or decals that
stick/wear really well?

Tnx!

Get a laser etcher and greenlee punches.....I'm think of labeling
panels for people. Something like 1 dollar a word.

Tracy

Old February 1st 04, 10:55 AM
Pete KE9OA

You can make a template of the front panel with a graphics program with hole
locations, text, etc. Print them out on 8 1/2 by 11 inch label material.
Cover the panel with a section of the same size plastic laminate, and you
are all set.
I did a panel with this method 4 years ago, and the glue has not yet turned
yellow.

Pete

Old February 1st 04, 12:22 PM
Ralph Mowery

What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

Buy a good set of Greenlee punches - they'll cost a bundle but
there's no other good way to do it.

I don't think I have ever seen a Greenlee punch for a hole that is only 1/8
of an inch in diameter. Most of the holes for the bolts I have seen are
much bigger than that.

To drill small holes you can get or grind your own bits. They will have a
point on them and be something like the spade wood bits. Also take a piece
of scrap wood and put behind the aluminum.

Old February 1st 04, 12:45 PM
Andrew VK3BFA

Paul Clay wrote in message ...
What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

What's a good technique for labeling front panel controls on a piece of
homebrew gear? Are there self adhesive labels or decals that
stick/wear really well?

Tnx!

A big question, but briefly.

1.Buy sheet metal drills - might be worth it if you are only looking
at 2-3 sizes.
2.With ordinary drills, use a backing board to stop the flared effect.
Start with a small size and work up in 64ths till you get the desired
size. Tedious, but works.
3.Buy a tapered reamer, and use it to widen a say, 0.25inch hole. Ream
from both sides, needs a bit of practice. Clean up edges with a bunny
knife.

For labels:-
1.The new DYMO labelling guns are good - much better than the old
embossed plastic ones - its a thermal printing sustem, works well.
2.Do your arwork on good quality paper to size, print it out, trim to
size, stick to front panel with clear self adhesice contact film. (Its
called "contact" here in VK, may be the same there, dont know.) A bit
of stuffing around, but worth it.
3. Buy a lettering template and draw directly on the aluminium with a
say 1mm overhead projector trnasparency pen. looks ok, then spray with
clear lacqer.

Dont be too hung up on what it looks like, it can get in the way of
actually getting a project on air - and besides, the person at the
other end of the QSO wont know anyway!.

73 de VK3BFA Andrew
Old February 1st 04, 01:21 PM
Eskay

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:46:26 -0800, Paul Clay wrote:

What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

What's a good technique for labeling front panel controls on a piece of
homebrew gear? Are there self adhesive labels or decals that
stick/wear really well?

Tnx!

There is only one good and safe way to do this.
Buy a Klein Unibit drill ( there are other makes too ) Step tapered from
1/8 inch to 1/2 inch. They do a nice clean job and the holes are always
round.
The tapered reamer is in my opinion an antique and looks like too much hard
work. Home Depot should have the Unibit.
73 de Eskay.
Old February 1st 04, 01:31 PM
Gary S.

wrote:

What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

What's a good technique for labeling front panel controls on a piece of
homebrew gear? Are there self adhesive labels or decals that
stick/wear really well?

Tnx!

A drill press will hold the drill much more steadily for cleaner
holes. Not always available, though.

There are various things which you can attach to a hand drill to get
much of that steadiness, kind of a ring plate with two rods that the
drill rides on. You could even clamp this on to your piece to get the
equivalant of drill press accuracy.

Marking the hole with a center punch is very helpful.

You will do better with a hand drill by using a pilot hole, then up to
the actual size you want. Step drills are another way to do this, and
work quite well.

An aluminum cutting fluid will help.

When drilling, patience is important. Let the drill speed do the work,
not the drill power or downward pressure. Forcing the drill will
create the raggedness.

You will also do better with specialty sheet metal drills, rather than
general purpose. Sharper is better. The TiN coated ones will stay
sharper longer.

For square holes, a metal nibbling tool is ideal.

As for labels, there are many types of clear labels which a laser
printer will print on, the inkjet ones can smear. Artist's fixative
spray will help.

Also look at things like the Brother P-Touch label maker, especially
the ones which attach to a PC.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA