Old February 6th 04, 06:50 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article 20GUb.14771$An3.12809@edtnps84, Gregg wrote:
They also make good push-pull stereo amps :-)

I was looking at doing something like that years ago, using a homebrew
output transformer, but I never finished it. I do know that the 829
was used in some of the modulation decks for aircraft band transmitters
at one point, so they should be fun at AF.
--scott
Old February 7th 04, 01:45 AM
k3hvg

That's right on! The rig was the Collins ARC-1. It used one in the final and one
in the modulator. The thing was for 100-156 MHz. Later conversions for the
airlines in the late 40's added 50 or so channels (sort of like the ARC-3 and the
ARC-49).

snip-

Old February 6th 04, 06:18 AM
Eddie Haskel

Motorola used them in the "K" strip series of transmitters....60 watts at
150Mhz. Usually driven with a 2E26. That tube with 700 Volts on the plates
would make that kind of power all day...Eddie

"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...
Hi all,

I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage - I
must have got them in a box of stuff at a ham fest at one time.
A check on Ebay shows they're pretty much worthless for the sake
of dollars, but they're so COOL! With the two plate caps that are
actually just stiff pins, they look like little Martians.

I put a pair on my office credenza just to look geeky cool. Fresh
out of the box as NOS they look amazing - just like they were made
yesterday. It's a pity they have no value - maybe as a homebrew
project??

So can someone tell me what they would have been used for?
Something tells me they're a VHF power tube.

Any application as a one-tube QRP rig of any sort? Any stories
about using them in the past? I've built a lot of little rigs over the
years, but never knew about the 829

Thanks,

Dave

Old February 6th 04, 05:56 AM
Gregg

They also make good push-pull stereo amps :-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

Old February 6th 04, 09:09 AM
K7JEB

Dave wrote:

I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage...

So can someone tell me what they would have been used for?
Something tells me they're a VHF power tube.

You've gotten some good responses from some others in the NG.
The most unusual application for the 829B that I saw was their
being used to drive the magnetic-core memory modules in the
Whirlwind I computer racks on display in the Computer Museum
in Boston. The sockets may have originally been designed for
832's and "upgraded" to 829's for more drive or longer life.

Jim Bromley, K7JEB
Glendale, AZ

Old February 6th 04, 02:57 PM
P.T.

they are 2 ea 6l6 tubes in 1 envelope and were used for a lot of vhf
transmitters you get 40 to 60 watts in a class c fm transmitter.

Old February 6th 04, 04:13 PM
Wes Stewart

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:03:55 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

|Hi all,
|
|I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage - I
|must have got them in a box of stuff at a ham fest at one time.
|A check on Ebay shows they're pretty much worthless for the sake
|of dollars, but they're so COOL! With the two plate caps that are
|actually just stiff pins, they look like little Martians.
|
|I put a pair on my office credenza just to look geeky cool. Fresh
|out of the box as NOS they look amazing - just like they were made
|yesterday. It's a pity they have no value - maybe as a homebrew
|project??
|
|So can someone tell me what they would have been used for?
|Something tells me they're a VHF power tube.
|
|Any application as a one-tube QRP rig of any sort? Any stories
|about using them in the past? I've built a lot of little rigs over the
|years, but never knew about the 829

I used one on two meters in the early 60's. The amp was of course
push-pull and had a tuned line plate circuit with link coupling. I
ran AM and CW and used the modulated high voltage out of my Heathkit
DX-100 for plate and screen voltage.

The original exciter was a converted SCR-522, which used the 829's
baby brother, the 832 as frequency multipliers and final. Later I
replaced the 829 with a 5894 and the 832s with a baby version of the
'94, whose part number escapes me at the moment (6907 I think).

These later tubes were more efficient at vhf and were tetrodes rather
than the 832-829 "beam-power" tubes. The 832 was sort of like a pair
of 2E26s sharing a cathode and the 829 was sort of like a pair of
807s.

Eventually, I replaced the clunky '522 with a more compact exciter out
of the Handbook that used somethin' or the other as
oscillator/doubler/tripler and a 6360 tripler driving another 6360.

Real progress came when I converted the second 6360 to a high level
mixer driven with a Central Electronics 10A SSB exciter. (I don't even
want to think what the IMD out of this mess must have been.)

Need "Original" (1937 era) 6U5 Tuning Eye Tube Mdcalvert Boatanchors 1 April 7th 04 11:06 PM
F.S. EICO 667 Tube Tester Kb2rev Equipment 0 March 12th 04 10:31 PM
What use is an 829B tube? Dave Boatanchors 35 February 24th 04 02:25 AM
Tube tester query? k3hvg Boatanchors 4 February 2nd 04 01:47 AM
FS: Old tube sockets, 4, 5, 6, 7 pin, Hammurlund, GR, ceramic, phenolic,matching plugs, extenders Al Schapira Boatanchors 0 January 19th 04 10:54 PM