Old February 6th 04, 01:03 AM
Dave

Default What use is an 829B tube?

Hi all,

I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage - I
must have got them in a box of stuff at a ham fest at one time.
A check on Ebay shows they're pretty much worthless for the sake
of dollars, but they're so COOL! With the two plate caps that are
actually just stiff pins, they look like little Martians.

I put a pair on my office credenza just to look geeky cool. Fresh
out of the box as NOS they look amazing - just like they were made
yesterday. It's a pity they have no value - maybe as a homebrew
project??

So can someone tell me what they would have been used for?
Something tells me they're a VHF power tube.

Any application as a one-tube QRP rig of any sort? Any stories
about using them in the past? I've built a lot of little rigs over the
years, but never knew about the 829

Thanks,

Dave

Old February 6th 04, 01:33 AM
Roger Gt

"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

The last rig I saw using an 829 was about 35 to 50
watts in the 50 to 70 MHZ range.
Makes a good 2 Meter amp.
Nice tube. Not QRP IMO...
I have three of them around here somewhere.

Old February 6th 04, 01:47 AM
Uncle Peter

"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...
Hi all,

I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage - I
must have got them in a box of stuff at a ham fest at one time.
A check on Ebay shows they're pretty much worthless for the sake
of dollars, but they're so COOL! With the two plate caps that are
actually just stiff pins, they look like little Martians.

They are WWII military tubes. As you surmised, mostly for VHF
work. The smaller cousin was the 832B tube, used in the
SCR-522 transmitter (driver, PA stages). A very popular conversion
for 2-meter AM through the 50s and early 60s. The modern
version of the 829 is the 5894 power tube.

Pete

Old February 7th 04, 07:01 AM
Avery Fineman

In article fmCUb.12231$gl2.8324@lakeread05, " Uncle Peter"
writes:

"Dave" wrote in message
tnews.com...
Hi all,

I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage - I
must have got them in a box of stuff at a ham fest at one time.
A check on Ebay shows they're pretty much worthless for the sake
of dollars, but they're so COOL! With the two plate caps that are
actually just stiff pins, they look like little Martians.

They are WWII military tubes. As you surmised, mostly for VHF
work. The smaller cousin was the 832B tube, used in the
SCR-522 transmitter (driver, PA stages). A very popular conversion
for 2-meter AM through the 50s and early 60s. The modern
version of the 829 is the 5894 power tube.

The 829 was the final amplifier in the AN/TRC-1 and AN/TRC-4
VHF radio relay transmitter that was first fielded in Europe in 1943.
70 to 90 MHz, crystal controlled, phase modulation at a low
frequency, multiplied many times. Probably designed about 1941
but no data on that. Dual pentode with common cathode, plates
brought out to heavy pins on the envelope top. Pushed and
operating at maximums, it can put out about 75 W at 6 Meters.

TRC-1 and TRC-8 (high VHF) radio relay equipment was on 24/7
"hot spares" service for landline coupling backup at Army station
ADA in Tokyo up to 1954. Had literal hands-on with those. :-)
Those TRC-1 transmitters ran for hours and hours and hours without
fail, 40 to 50 Watts RF output.

A small tale on Lubriplate from Hank Kolesnik's mention in another
thread: The old radio relay equipment had separate receiver and
and transmitter cases and the TRC-1s had brushless shaded-pole
fan motors in the lids. While very cheap, those shaded-pole motors
are quite reliable. They have a (felt?) lubricant pad for sleeve
bearings; no appreciable load to require ball bearings nor high speed.

A well-intentioned newbie on one shift decided to "improve motor
performance" with Lubriplate (then a very new product in 1954) and
loaded the lubricant pads with it. While Lubriplate is a very good
product, it is a SLOW-SPEED thing. The shaded-pole fan motors
would seize up eventually, their normal light oil lubricant displaced by
the Lubriplate. For about three months it was SOP for all shifts to have
the "VHF man" check all the fans. Any fan with low or no flow meant
a bothersome job of removing the fan, replacing it with a spare, then
soaking the lubricant pad for several hours in solvent, saturating it
afterwards in the proper light oil, checking it out, keeping it as a
spare for the next stopped fan. Really put a kink in my magazine
reading on the night shifts...:-) Lubriplate is a fine lubricant for dial
drives and shaft bearings but should NOT be used in motor bearings.

Other than one incident with a blown fuse in one transmitter, the
dozen-plus AN/TRC-1s and TRC-8s ran and ran and ran reliably.

Len Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person

Old February 6th 04, 04:18 AM
Ralph Mowery

I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage - I
must have got them in a box of stuff at a ham fest at one time.
A check on Ebay shows they're pretty much worthless for the sake
of dollars, but they're so COOL! With the two plate caps that are
actually just stiff pins, they look like little Martians.

I put a pair on my office credenza just to look geeky cool. Fresh
out of the box as NOS they look amazing - just like they were made
yesterday. It's a pity they have no value - maybe as a homebrew
project??

So can someone tell me what they would have been used for?
Something tells me they're a VHF power tube.

They are about the same as a pair of 6146 tubes in one envelope but are more
efficient at higher frequencies.
Good for about 100 watts out at 2 meters and somewhat ueuable at 440 mhz.
I think the old VHV book had an amp in it for 144 mhz that was rated for
about 40 watts out on AM and more on CW/SSB.

Old February 6th 04, 05:56 AM
Gregg

They also make good push-pull stereo amps :-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

Need "Original" (1937 era) 6U5 Tuning Eye Tube Mdcalvert Boatanchors 1 April 7th 04 11:06 PM
F.S. EICO 667 Tube Tester Kb2rev Equipment 0 March 12th 04 10:31 PM
What use is an 829B tube? Dave Boatanchors 35 February 24th 04 02:25 AM
Tube tester query? k3hvg Boatanchors 4 February 2nd 04 01:47 AM
FS: Old tube sockets, 4, 5, 6, 7 pin, Hammurlund, GR, ceramic, phenolic,matching plugs, extenders Al Schapira Boatanchors 0 January 19th 04 10:54 PM