Old March 5th 04, 06:50 AM
Tom Bruhns

Download RFSim99 and let it do it for you. Download Filter Design
from AADE's site and let it do it for you. Download NuHertz's demo
version of their filter design software and let it do it for you.
There may even be web aplets that will do it for you. And then you
can play with configurations and shape factors and the inevitable
tradeoffs between complexity and shape factor.

Cheers,
Tom

Paul Burridge wrote in message . ..
Hi all,

I need a simple design for a BPF with a centre frequency of 17.2Mhz.,
corner frequencies one Meg or therabouts either side of that and a
reasonably good shape factor (nothing critical here). I don't mind
having to do a bit of tweaking of values myself if anyone has
something close to that they can post. Passive L/C combinations only,
please. (assume the usual 50R nominal Zs.)
Thanks,

p.

Old March 5th 04, 10:34 AM
Reg Edwards

For a very simple bandpass design program download program BANDPAS1 from
website below. Also obtain response versus frequency. Download in a few
seconds and run immediately.
--
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ

Old March 5th 04, 11:28 AM
Active8

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:58:26 -0800, John Larkin wrote:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:43:21 +0000, Paul Burridge
wrote:

Hi all,

I need a simple design for a BPF with a centre frequency of 17.2Mhz.,
corner frequencies one Meg or therabouts either side of that and a

reasonably good shape factor (nothing critical here).

wtf?

I don't mind
having to do a bit of tweaking of values myself if anyone has
something close to that they can post. Passive L/C combinations only,
please. (assume the usual 50R nominal Zs.)
Thanks,

p.

The usual technique is to get a book that has tables of normalized LC
lowpass filters of various types, pick a response you like, and scale
it and map to a bandpass. Williams' "Electronic Filter Design
Handbook" has all this stuff.

It's mildly tedious, so I won't offer to do one for you.

John

He already has a book with a fair amount of tables and all the
explainations on how to go about the design. I'm wondering WTF
here. Hey paul. wtf?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Old March 5th 04, 04:18 PM
Paul Burridge

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:28:51 GMT, Active8
wrote:

He already has a book with a fair amount of tables and all the
explainations on how to go about the design. I'm wondering WTF
here. Hey paul. wtf?

Fair point. I just wondered if anyone had a design similar to
requirements *already* lying around they might post it, that's all.
Save me a bit of scrawling and button-pushing. I didn't wish to put
anyone out.
Thanks to all who responded, BTW. Some very useful steers.
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.

Old March 5th 04, 04:21 PM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Paul,
E-mail me directly and let me know how many poles you need. I
have the AADE program, and I will be glad to do that for you.

Pete

Old March 5th 04, 06:23 PM
John Jardine

Paul Burridge wrote in message
Hi all,

I need a simple design for a BPF with a centre frequency of 17.2Mhz.,
corner frequencies one Meg or therabouts either side of that and a
reasonably good shape factor (nothing critical here). I don't mind
having to do a bit of tweaking of values myself if anyone has
something close to that they can post. Passive L/C combinations only,
please. (assume the usual 50R nominal Zs.)
Thanks,

p.
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.

The simplest filter that'll get you by, is this one. (a couple of tuned
circuits with a bit of top-coupling :-) ...

___ ||C1
-|_R_¦------.----.-------||-------.----.-------, O/p
Source |L2 |C2 || |C2 |L2 |
I/p | | | | .-.
C| --- --- C| | |load R
C| --- --- C| |R|
| | | | |
=== === === === ===
GND GND GND GND GND

F1=16.2e6 'lower limit MHz
F2=18.2e6 'upper limit MHz
R=50 'Ohms source and load impedance
Pi=3.142

C1 = (F1+F2) / (4 x Pi x F1 x F2 x R)
C2 = F1 /(Pi x F2 x (F2-F1) x R)/2
L2 = 2xR /(4 x Pi) x (1/F1 - 1/F2)

The inductors end up being quite small but a couple of loops of wire cost
nothing. At 25megs the output is down to about 3% , which is not bad.

This particular style is the "3 element" design and from the traditional
"Constant K" filter stable. The pleasantly simple to design "constant K's"
and associated "M derived" filters, can be easily and freely used for most
day-to-day electronics work.

Exact Filter design, or 'synthesis' as they nowadays prefer to call it, can
be a nightmare if you're coming in from scratch. Even using a filter design
programme requires a good knowledge of filter types/performance/spec's
before data can begin to be entered.
If not using a prog' you move onto the more vexing method of having to
design an initial (prototype) low-pass filter, either via precalculated
tables or computing the required co-efficients, then mathematically
transforming the low-pass values into a bandpass (etc) design. For higher
order filters it can be ball-acheing drudgery and even then inductor
resistance has a nasty habit of spoiling that pristine work of art. (not a
problem with DSP filters).

I can't suggest a decent book, as the general purpose books seem over
complicated and destined to be written by maths people for maths people.
(The old GPO line-comm's manuals have useful notes on the 'K and M '
filters).
regards
john