Old March 12th 04, 01:56 PM
Paul Burridge

Default Extracting the 5th Harmonic

Hi all,

Is there some black magic required to get higher order harmonics out
of an oscillator?
I'm only trying to get 17.2Mhz out of a 3.44Mhz source and am thus far
failing spectacularly. I've tried everything I can think of so far to
no avail. All I can get apart from the fundamental is a strong third
harmonic on 10.32Mhz, regardless of what I tune for. I've tried
passing the osc output through two successive inverter gates to
sharpen it up, but still nothing beyond the third appears after tuned
amplification for the fifth. I no longer have a spectrum analyser so
can't check for the presence of a decent comb of harmonics at the
input to the multiplier stage but can only assume the fifth is well
down in the mush for some reason. I could change the inverters for
schmitt triggers and gain a couple of nS but can't see that making
enough difference. What about sticking a varactor in there somewhere?
Would its non-linearity assist or are they only any good for even
order harmonics?
Any suggestions, please. I'm stumped!
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.