RadioBanter

-   -   Restoring the status quo of Ham Radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/22639-restoring-status-quo-ham-radio.html)

Airy R. Bean March 20th 04 12:10 PM

Restoring the status quo of Ham Radio

I wonder if we as a NG might put together a design
for an HF rig that could be built with ease by novices
and experienced constructors alike?

I suggest that none of the CB-style gadgets of today's
CB-style rigs are necessary and that a reproducible design
having only the facilities of, say, the KW2000, would provide the
basis of any station.

Keeping it simple will increase the chance of success.

I suggest the following....
DDS VFO
VFO display based upon graphic LCD to simulate
the use of a tuning knob-plus-dial.
Tuning knob plus flywheel using optical sensors,
giving the "Feel" associated with traditional rigs.

DSP for the audio and mixing stages, perhaps
with a low IF of ooo 50kHz to resolve the ringing
problems that arise in narrow baseband filters
for CW.

ooo 100mW output allowing the choice of PA
for CBers-Masquerading-As-Radio-Hams or
running barefoot QRP for _REAL_ Radio Hams.

Any of the established CB types in this NG are welcome to join
this discussion, I only ask that your contributions be
meaningful and not the inane sneering 'n; jeering for which
you are famous.

The Sperminator March 20th 04 12:10 PM

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message

DSP for the audio and mixing stages, perhaps
with a low IF of ooo 50kHz to resolve the ringing
problems that arise in narrow baseband filters
for CW.

Airy, giving advice on DSP...

BWWWWWWWWWWhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaha

Brian Howie March 20th 04 01:00 PM

In message , Airy R. Bean
writes
I wonder if we as a NG might put together a design
for an HF rig that could be built with ease by novices
and experienced constructors alike?

Elecraft already do a range of these

http://www.elecraft.com/

Latter-day Heathkit

Brian

--
Brian Howie

Paul Burridge March 20th 04 01:42 PM

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:00:48 +0000, Brian Howie
wrote:

In message , Airy R. Bean
writes
I wonder if we as a NG might put together a design
for an HF rig that could be built with ease by novices
and experienced constructors alike?

Elecraft already do a range of these

http://www.elecraft.com/

Good but expensive, aren't they?
It would be great to see the people on this group design one here. It
would be invaluable info for those interested in furthering their
knowlege of the hobby and maybe the end product could equal or exceed
the Elecraft specs at a lower price?

p.
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.

Paul Burridge March 20th 04 01:42 PM

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:00:48 +0000, Brian Howie
wrote:

In message , Airy R. Bean
writes

Airy R. Bean March 20th 04 02:00 PM

I have no experience of the Elecraft kits, but I suspect
that the packing density of components on their PCB's
would mediate against future maintenance and fault-finding?

Also, for Britland, AIUI, there are problems for the man-in-the-street
having to organise his own shipping and passage through customs?

A kit of our own design would not be subject to proprietary
trade secrets. If the AF amp was specced at, say, 1mw into
600 Ohms, then almost any AF amp chip would do the job.

While on the subject of fault -finding, one RX which sticks in my
mind as being very easy to repair was the R210, because all the
aluminium chassis (pl?) folded out on hinges for easy access.

As part of being a _REAL_ Radio Ham is maintaining our own
gear, then there is food for thought in this area.

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:00:48 +0000, Brian Howie
wrote:
In message , Airy R. Bean
writes

Airy R. Bean March 20th 04 02:00 PM

I have no experience of the Elecraft kits, but I suspect
that the packing density of components on their PCB's
would mediate against future maintenance and fault-finding?

Also, for Britland, AIUI, there are problems for the man-in-the-street
having to organise his own shipping and passage through customs?

A kit of our own design would not be subject to proprietary
trade secrets. If the AF amp was specced at, say, 1mw into
600 Ohms, then almost any AF amp chip would do the job.

While on the subject of fault -finding, one RX which sticks in my
mind as being very easy to repair was the R210, because all the
aluminium chassis (pl?) folded out on hinges for easy access.

As part of being a _REAL_ Radio Ham is maintaining our own
gear, then there is food for thought in this area.

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:00:48 +0000, Brian Howie
wrote:
In message , Airy R. Bean
writes

Airy R. Bean March 20th 04 02:51 PM

So you agree that there are problems?

"G.Beat" wrote in message
"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Also, for Britland, AIUI, there are problems for the man-in-the-street
having to organise his own shipping and passage through customs?

Has been handled a number of ways for Brits, Germans and French.