Old April 2nd 04, 09:15 PM
Mark D.

Default Federal Tel & Radio 7C23 vacuum tube

I came across a very large 7C23 vacuum tube and know nothing about it.
Could anyone let me know what the specs are on this thing? It's got a
wiring connections guide printed on the side of the heat sink but it's
rubbed off over the years and I can't read it. Does anyone know how to
wire this thing? Any other help you could give on it is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mark Dickinson
Old April 2nd 04, 10:26 PM
Paul_Morphy

"Mark D." wrote in message
I came across a very large 7C23 vacuum tube and know nothing about it.
Could anyone let me know what the specs are on this thing? It's got a
wiring connections guide printed on the side of the heat sink but it's
rubbed off over the years and I can't read it. Does anyone know how to
wire this thing? Any other help you could give on it is appreciated.

This company is selling them for a paltry $425.00 used.

http://www.tubesontheweb.com/TU06.HTM

It is also known as a type 5680. For the $425.00 you will get when you find
a buyer, you can buy an old ARRL Handbook and look up the specs.

Meanwhile, scroll down to the bottom of

http://wordindex.sourceforge.net/tes...52/094-135.col

where it says "A pulse triode used in radar modulators and similar
applications. Used to switch a very high voltage (20-30 kV) and moderate
currents (tens of amps)at a low duty cycle. Used to drive a magnetron.

"These kind of tubes are often poor performers as modern ham amp tubes, as
they are usually quite non-linear. They might be better suited to class
Camplifiers. I have heard that this type of tube is very good for a tesla
coil driver, if you are into that sorta stuff."

Google is your friend.

"PM"

Old January 29th 11, 08:02 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
I came across a very large 7C23 vacuum tube and know nothing about it.
Could anyone let me know what the specs are on this thing? It's got a
wiring connections guide printed on the side of the heat sink but it's
rubbed off over the years and I can't read it. Does anyone know how to
wire this thing? Any other help you could give on it is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mark Dickinson
I have had aa Federal 5680 triode since 1957. It is probably burnt out, but I don't recall. I was in the Coast Guard on a loran station. we ran magawatt pulses out of a federal amplifier using 12 sets 5680's arranged in 2 sets of six in parallel, as a push-pull circuit. We ran 15.5 kv plate voltage. As I recall, we burned thru these at a fairly high rate. At todays price of copper, I wish I now had all that I threw away
Old November 4th 11, 12:11 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
I came across a very large 7C23 vacuum tube and know nothing about it.
Could anyone let me know what the specs are on this thing? It's got a
wiring connections guide printed on the side of the heat sink but it's
rubbed off over the years and I can't read it. Does anyone know how to
wire this thing? Any other help you could give on it is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mark Dickinson
Notice this post was in 2004 but who knows if you still are interested. I was in the Coast Guard and the 7C23 was the main amplifier in the Loran A Transmitter. The standard transmitter used 4 x 7C23, and produced 167KW pulse power. There was also a 1MW amplifier (rarely used) that had 16 x 7C23.

Here is a link to the spec sheet. http://tubedata.tubes.se/sheets/167/7/7C23.pdf

The 7C23 is not easy to used. It must be mounted on a ceramic column with a metal ring with a forced air cooling source up through the column. The plate is also the outer metal case and needs 15KV source. Hence the ceramic column. The metal ring provides the plate voltage. The rest of the connections are made through the connector.

Arcing is a major problem. Also, the 7C23 requires about a 8 hour bake in with the plate voltage gradually being increased.

Honestly, the 7C23 makes a better paperweight or curiousity object.

Old November 4th 11, 12:13 AM
Junior Member

[...]

With 15KV on the exposed plate, major forced air cooling, the 7C23 can be dangerous and difficult.

Honestly, the 7C23 makes a better paperweight or curiousity object.