Old April 8th 04, 03:58 AM
Ken Scharf

Default Toriod core material?

Anybody have an idea how to determine what material a surplus toroid
core might be made out of? I tried winding a known number of turns on
one and then measured the inductance on a Q meter, but how would that
relate to the the permability factor?
Old April 8th 04, 04:16 AM
John Popelish

Ken Scharf wrote:

Anybody have an idea how to determine what material a surplus toroid
core might be made out of? I tried winding a known number of turns on
one and then measured the inductance on a Q meter, but how would that
relate to the the permability factor?

Probably the easiest way is to compare your inductance to tables of
inductance for various core types in your size.
http://tritium.fis.unb.br/Fis3Exp/fc...nd/toroid.html

Or you can go back to the basic physics and solve the formula for
permeability.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ic/indtor.html

--
John Popelish

Old April 8th 04, 07:36 AM
Reg Edwards

Anybody have an idea how to determine what material a surplus toroid
core might be made out of? I tried winding a known number of turns on
one and then measured the inductance on a Q meter, but how would that
relate to the the permability factor?

====================================

Enter core dimensions, number of turns and permeability of core material
into program TOROID to obtain coil inductance.

Alternatively, do the reverse, measure inductance and obtain permeability of
the core material.

Covers square rings, tubes, flat discs and washers.

Also obtain value of capacitance to resonate coil at a particular frequency.

Download program TOROID in a few seconds from website below and run
immediately.
---
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp

Old April 8th 04, 07:36 AM
Reg Edwards

[...]

WTB Really Skinny Whip Material for 1/4 wave two meter Tom M Antenna 2 November 1st 04 11:14 PM
Antenna Material PDRUNEN Antenna 11 June 22nd 04 12:08 PM
What material for antenna? Jeremy Becnel Antenna 11 April 21st 04 06:00 AM
20:1 Balun Help FT240-67 Core Greg Antenna 0 March 10th 04 10:57 AM
Extra Class License Study Material Drink Antenna 13 February 19th 04 08:29 PM